How-To: TJ Axle Shaft Conversion - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How-To: TJ Axle Shaft Conversion

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-30-2010, 02:53 PM   #46
MA88XJDude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Im at the point in this swap where you have to seat the new oil seal at the passenger side of the diff. I can't for the life of me get it to go in. we used the socket and hammer method and the threaded rod with big washer methods. Both times the seal didnt even go in a little bit at all. What gives? Anyone have problems with this?

Build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...build-1066682/
MASSKRAWLERS.COM
MA88XJDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2010, 09:58 PM   #47
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA88XJDude View Post
Im at the point in this swap where you have to seat the new oil seal at the passenger side of the diff. I can't for the life of me get it to go in. we used the socket and hammer method and the threaded rod with big washer methods. Both times the seal didnt even go in a little bit at all. What gives? Anyone have problems with this?
When I did mine, I was also installing an Aussie, so I had the carrier pulled out. I'd suggest going that route anyway, it only takes like 10 minutes to pull the carrier.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #48
MA88XJDude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
When I did mine, I was also installing an Aussie, so I had the carrier pulled out. I'd suggest going that route anyway, it only takes like 10 minutes to pull the carrier.
.....the carrier is out, I thought my post would have made that obvious. It seems that I got the wrong seal from NAPA. My part # is 11899 and they didnt come up with a 11800 like everyone says they used. Im going to try and get a seal from a different part store tomarrow, because there is no way that I have the right one.
Build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...build-1066682/
MASSKRAWLERS.COM
MA88XJDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #49
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well while you're stuck on the obvious, get the right part, then try again. Seriously YOU are asking for help then you are gonna come off with an attitude about what should be obvious based on something you didn't say.

Good luck to you.
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #50
rjt3
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well while you're stuck on the obvious, get the right part, then try again. Seriously YOU are asking for help then you are gonna come off with an attitude about what should be obvious based on something you didn't say.

Good luck to you.
based on the fact that he tried using a hammer and socket to get the seal in makes it pretty obvious to me that he had the carrier out.

have you tried putting the seal in the freezer overnight i heard that works pretty well
rjt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #51
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just an FYI, I believe the larger U-joints started going in in '95, I pulled a D30 from a '95 and it has the larger joints.
Yes, this is correct. I have a D30 out of a 95 and it has the larger u-joints.... which is a bonus because all I need to get is the passenger shaft out of an XJ to do the mod.

However, I just replaced my seals last year using the stock 3-piece shafts. I had my front axle apart a few weeks ago while installing the Aussie but didn't do it then either. Didn't want to spend any extra money on an XJ/TJ shaft.... plus my CAD operates perfectly. Only problem is sometimes my rubber boot gets pulled off the vacuum motor. Minor irritation.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 10:57 PM   #52
postaldave
1996 XJ Cherokee 

not sure how this relates but i was told that the XJ non-cad shafts were longer then then the YJs.
even ordering thing like longfield cv axles, they only list the XJ dana30 and not the YJ and a replacement. what's up with that.
[url]http://www.facebook.com/slash5[/url]

[QUOTE=xdgt03;9409004]I removed mine. It is against federal law but so is being an illegal immigrant so...
[/QUOTE]
postaldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #53
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by postaldave View Post
not sure how this relates but i was told that the XJ non-cad shafts were longer then then the YJs.
even ordering thing like longfield cv axles, they only list the XJ dana30 and not the YJ and a replacement. what's up with that.
The XJ shaft is longer because it's one solid piece and not two smaller ones. The overall length is the same but the XJ shaft is longer than the 2 halves of the YJ shaft by themselves I reckon that's what that is all about.

I know many folks who have used both XJ shafts in their CAD YJ D30s and everything worked out perfectly with teh right oil seals.

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 12:52 AM   #54
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
I know many folks who have used both XJ shafts in their CAD YJ D30s and everything worked out perfectly with teh right oil seals.

Jake
Don't know about any length difference I didn't measure them out, but I do use both sides from an XJ with no issue.
Unread 06-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #55
Timmy69
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i just pulled some shafts from and 98 grand not sure if it has 260s or 297s though what would you guys think?
Unread 06-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #56
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If Napa doesn't have the 11800 seal you should try somewhere else most places can cross reference part numbers, Oh and from what i have learned, don't tell them the vehicle, make, model, etc because that will only confuse them. I had a guy argue with me about a U joint for a TJ because he saw me pull up in my YJ. I guess some people can't grasp the concept of swapping parts..
Djsthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #57
MAjeepkid
1987 MJ Comanche 

Just so other people know for when they do this swap. I got seals from three different places and none of them fit in. Just for the record I had a professional Jeep mechanic look at my axle and tell me that the reason the seals aren't fitting is because my axle tube isnt machined for a seal up at the diff (pretty much figured that out). Now that being said all the seals I got were WAY to large to fit into my axle tube.

I put my old shafts back in and Im just sucking it up for now.

Thought someone else could use this information and save themselves some frustration and time.
MAjeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #58
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well that "professional jeep mechanic" is right that is why you can't just get the same seal that is on your driver side dif. I used a Napa 11800 and it slide right in, I have read on here were some people have taken a drimel and hit the inside of the axle tube to smooth it out some. Don't let this set you back, if you have the axles and the parts, do the swap.
Djsthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2010, 11:12 PM   #59
FlexinYJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

yeah, i still dont understand how to get the collar out of the left side of the CAD unit....cause i tried to put the shaft in a while back and that collar stopped it. just pry it out with a pry bar?
Unread 06-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #60
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexinYJ View Post
yeah, i still dont understand how to get the collar out of the left side of the CAD unit....cause i tried to put the shaft in a while back and that collar stopped it. just pry it out with a pry bar?
It's not needed anymore, several guys just used the shaft to bust it apart.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.