How-To: TJ Axle Shaft Conversion - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How-To: TJ Axle Shaft Conversion

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-16-2010, 08:33 PM   #31
IP076
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm still on the hunt, I went to the local yard, found a bunch of cherokees, but they all were missing the front axle...someone beat me to it! Oh well, I'll keep looking. I did find some older ones that would have the same size u-joint I have now...but I did have one question that I couldn't get my brain around since it's friday and all...the axle shafts are the same for a low pinion versus a high pinion application right? I would think they would be.

Also, I have another question. I do most of my own maintenance, but I will not attempt gears. If I'm going to do this swap, what are my concerns with removing the front carrier to put the seal in? Am I OK to remove it and just put it back in without changing anything? Looking for a little advice, thanks!

IP076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 10:06 PM   #32
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yes the shafts are the same HP or LP, and yes, you just pull the bearing retainer straps, pop the carrier out, put in the seal, put everything back in its same place torque, done.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 09:03 AM   #33
IP076
1989 YJ Wrangler 

[RANT]Don't mean to be a forum nazi...but why did this thread move? This thread is about replacing the two piece front axle shafts on YJs...I found this thread because I own a YJ and want to do this conversion, I found this thread by searching in the YJ forum...this thread should remain there...just because we reference that there are certain parts from XJ and other that might work doesn't mean this thread should be put in the Grand Cherokee forum...This should remain in the YJ forum[/RANT]
Unread 04-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #34
Bongi22
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowajeepers View Post
97 or newer XJ
Is this to say that `96 shafts wouldn't work at all, or that `97 and newer are better for some reason?

I just switched from a 1996 XJ to a 1994 YJ and if they are compatible, I'll yank them before I get rid of the thing for the future.

Thanks.
Bongi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #35
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

How come this was moved to the ZJ section?

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #36
IP076
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongi22 View Post
Is this to say that `96 shafts wouldn't work at all, or that `97 and newer are better for some reason?

I just switched from a 1996 XJ to a 1994 YJ and if they are compatible, I'll yank them before I get rid of the thing for the future.

Thanks.
I found a 93 in the yard with a single piece axle. The later ones have the larger u-joints. I'm still undecided if I'm going to go pull the ones I found, or try to find the ones with the larger u-joints.

Your 96 should work. I've actually read mixed things, and your 96 might actually have the 297 u-joints...
Unread 04-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #37
IP076
1989 YJ Wrangler 

OK, I found a 93 ZJ with what I'm almost certain was a D30, and u-joints...not CV style joints. Does anyone know if the ZJ had the 260 or the 297 u-joints?

Guess I could check Napa and see what the part numbers are...haha.
Unread 05-22-2010, 05:30 AM   #38
Rocky_Cosmark
1991 YJ Wrangler 

if you are looking to just bypass the cad with this upgrade, and have trouble finding the 297 u joints, cant you just use any xj year shaft without the disco too, and it would be the same size u joints, but to some point its all about getting rid of the disco too
Rocky_Cosmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 07:20 AM   #39
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Cosmark View Post
if you are looking to just bypass the cad with this upgrade, and have trouble finding the 297 u joints, cant you just use any xj year shaft without the disco too, and it would be the same size u joints, but to some point its all about getting rid of the disco too
Yes, ANY XJ will work but 97+ had the bigger 297X U Joints which is what he (and everyone else) really wants.
Unread 05-22-2010, 07:20 AM   #40
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP076 View Post
Does anyone know if the ZJ had the 260 or the 297 u-joints?
AFAIK the ZJ's never came with 297X U Joints.
Unread 05-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #41
Rocky_Cosmark
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yea of course i was just making sure worst case scenario i have an xj with the 260 ujoints,are you able to take the shafts and hub bearing assemblies together and swap them right onto the yjs too? i believe you can cuz theyre all dana 30s, is that right
Unread 05-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #42
MA88XJDude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yea of course i was just making sure worst case scenario i have an xj with the 260 ujoints,are you able to take the shafts and hub bearing assemblies together and swap them right onto the yjs too? i believe you can cuz theyre all dana 30s, is that right
IIRC the hub assemblys on the Dana 30 changed mid 99' so you SHOULD be able to swap the axles and hub together.

I have had trouble finding the 297 u-joint axles and I have a set of non-CAD shafts from a 92' Cherokee (260 u-joints) that I'm about to swap in just because everytime I go out for a little wheeling my CAD fails again. So I'm doing the swap to get rid of the CAD and for that reason only. Eventually if I stick with the dana 30 and break a shaft or two I'll go with some chromoly shafts.

Build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...build-1066682/
MASSKRAWLERS.COM
MA88XJDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #43
Rocky_Cosmark
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA88XJDude View Post
IIRC the hub assemblys on the Dana 30 changed mid 99' so you SHOULD be able to swap the axles and hub together.

I have had trouble finding the 297 u-joint axles and I have a set of non-CAD shafts from a 92' Cherokee (260 u-joints) that I'm about to swap in just because everytime I go out for a little wheeling my CAD fails again. So I'm doing the swap to get rid of the CAD and for that reason only. Eventually if I stick with the dana 30 and break a shaft or two I'll go with some chromoly shafts.

ok, theres a bunch of 91 - 98 tjs and xjs around here to choose from, i can finally bypass the cad and homebrew bypass fixes, and get a backup hub and shaft aasembly for trail fixes
Unread 05-27-2010, 05:14 PM   #44
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Like previously mentioned, yes. I have a set of XJ shafts as spares with the smaller joints. I know everyone keeps saying '97+, but I pulled an entire front assembly out of a '95 XJ that had the larger joints. I'm 99% sure that's when the new joints started going in, even in the YJ's.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #45
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Like previously mentioned, yes. I have a set of XJ shafts as spares with the smaller joints. I know everyone keeps saying '97+, but I pulled an entire front assembly out of a '95 XJ that had the larger joints. I'm 99% sure that's when the new joints started going in, even in the YJ's.
I parted out a 96 Cherokee and it had the larger U-Joints on the axle shafts.

I got mine from a 98 and put some new Spicer 760s in there though.

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.