How to test 4WD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to test 4WD

Poison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring HarnessBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 02-17-2006, 02:25 PM   #1
bryris
1995 YJ Wrangler 

How to test 4WD

I show up at a private sellers house, among my other things to look at when buying....how do I actually test the 4WD in that situation?

bryris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
Brenters
2005 TJ Wrangler 

on dry pavement, put it into 4hi and drive in a circle....if the 4wd is working properly, you should feel the front end hopping on the pavement a bit.
Unread 02-17-2006, 02:35 PM   #3
pyro9862

When he said but also put it in 2wd and do the same thing. It shouldn't pop in 2 wheel. If it does 4wd is not properly disengauging.
pyro9862 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2006, 02:48 PM   #4
jrnjay

Don't forget to pull it down in low

1991 YJ Black 2.5 5speed 3.5" Fabtech lift 32x11.50 Dunlop Mud Rovers

[QUOTE]It's not what you don't do it's how you don't do it that counts!!![/QUOTE]
jrnjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2006, 03:12 PM   #5
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I prefer a digital answer (on/off) rather than the sugjective 'are the tires slipping' method. Most all but the early YJs have the electric switch for the dash light on the axle (you can see it there). The dash light coming on is the last thing in the chain of events to go into 4wd. So, if the light comes on and goes out as you go in and out of 4wd, and seems to drive fine in 4wd (no noises), it is probably fine.
Unread 02-17-2006, 03:17 PM   #6
pyro9862

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
Most all but the early YJs have the electric switch for the dash light on the axle (you can see it there). The dash light coming on is the last thing in the chain of events to go into 4wd. So, if the light comes on and goes out as you go in and out of 4wd, and seems to drive fine in 4wd (no noises), it is probably fine.
Don't trust the light. I looked at a jeep once and driving it the 4x4 went in and out perfectly. Then when I looked underneath I noticed their were no lines to the shift motor on the axle. Upon closer inspection he just took the line from the transfer case and ran it directly to the switch so the light would work even though the axle wouldn't engauge. I'm sure this doesn't happen every day but it's just somthing to be aware of.

I told him about it and he persisted the 4 wheel worked perfectly. I walked away from it because who knows what else he was hideing. Doubtlessly someone who didn't know and better ended up getting screwed. I feel bad since they probably discovered it didn't work in the middle of a snowstorm or trying to drive on the beach and ending up stuck.

I can't remember exactly how the lines are run but I think that switch turns on as soon as the 4wd port on the axle gets vacuum regaurdless of wheather or not it shifts. So if the shift motor is bad you will still get a light.
Unread 02-17-2006, 03:20 PM   #7
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Even my '87 has a 4WD light. So I'm pretty sure they all do. My switch for it is on the firewall though and connected to a vacuum line.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2006, 03:34 PM   #8
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro9862
Don't trust the light....the line from the transfer case and ran it directly to the switch so the light would work even though the axle wouldn't engauge.
That is what I said. The switch is either on the tcase or it's on the axle. On a newer YJ you can see the switch is physically on the axle. I believe older YJs had only two vacuum lines to the axle and the switch was on the tcase. Yes, those won't make the dash be accurate. I stick with my recommendation, if the switch is on the axle and the light works properly, it's probably fine.
Unread 02-17-2006, 03:39 PM   #9
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I can tell you what NOT to do.

Don't find a muddy spot and stick your head out of the window to see if the front wheel is spinning when you stomp on it. If the four wheel drive is working, you will look pretty stupid with a face full of mud. Don't ask me how I know this.
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2006, 04:29 PM   #10
Bret93YJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro9862
I can't remember exactly how the lines are run but I think that switch turns on as soon as the 4wd port on the axle gets vacuum regaurdless of wheather or not it shifts. So if the shift motor is bad you will still get a light.
Pyro,

I might be wrong about this, but the switch for the 4WD light is on the inside inboard side of the housing for the shift motor on the axle. The switch is actually a "squat" switch, and it is pushed in by the shift fork when the fork is moved all the way inboard, engaging the axle.
Unread 02-17-2006, 04:43 PM   #11
pyro9862

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret93YJ
Pyro,

I might be wrong about this, but the switch for the 4WD light is on the inside inboard side of the housing for the shift motor on the axle. The switch is actually a "squat" switch, and it is pushed in by the shift fork when the fork is moved all the way inboard, engaging the axle.
The older ones were firewall mounted and just sensed vacuum. The 91+ ones are on the axle and I'm not sure how they operate.
Unread 02-17-2006, 04:53 PM   #12
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret93YJ
You are right. The light only toggles when the fork physically moves.
Unread 02-17-2006, 07:00 PM   #13
natedawg87317
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i wouldnt pay any attention to the light at all. because mine dosnt always come on but the 4wd works perfectly. do as others have said. put it in 4hi and 4low and turn on dry pavment to see if the front end grabs.

nate

restored 72 chevy long bed\yellow green metalic
natedawg87317 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2006, 07:33 PM   #14
Brenters
2005 TJ Wrangler 

To build on my first response, taking into account what others have suggested - some things I hadnt thought of at the time.....

The 4wd light does have a mind of its own sometimes. Especially in a situation where you're trying to test the 4wd system when looking to buy a YJ privately, your best bet is still to drive it in 2hi, then 4hi (check for tires hopping...trust me, if its working, you'll feel that). If it passes so far, try out 4lo, then put it back in 2hi to make sure the system disengages properly. Good luck in your search.
Unread 02-17-2006, 10:32 PM   #15
ImRaptor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Here's my method of testing the 4wd.
Put the Jeep in 4wd, drive forward for a bit to engage the collar.
Turn the Jeep off, put it in 1st and leave in 4wd.
Ebrake on and jack up one of the front tires. The tire shouldn't spin very far as its engaged to the tranny in 1st.

Another method if there is no lockers in place is to jack up one side of the jeep so both a front tire and rear tire are in the air. Then put it in 1st and 4wd. THe tires in the air should both spin. Although, I'd really recommend doing the first option.
ImRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.