How to tell what, trans/t case/axles my yj has?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to tell what, trans/t case/axles my yj has??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 02-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

How to tell what, trans/t case/axles my yj has??

Hello, I just purchased a 87 yj Wrangler and would like to know what it has in it. I know the 4.2 engine and trans arent original. I know the 87's came with the Peugeot ba10 five speed trans and a np207 t case. The front axle should be a semi floater dana 30, and the rear should be a dana 35. I read there is a factory option to have a rear dana 44. Also, a rear trac lock diff was offered on all models but the S models. How can I tell whats what? Also, Im trying to figure out if my wrangler is a base or if it has a package. Its faded and barely visible but on the hood it says wrangler along the sides, and theres 3 striped that wrap around the top part of the hood, along with the middle raised part having a solid decal over it. Thanks for your time guys let me know what you think

straightsixjeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Could take and post up some pics of each part and you should have an answer in a couple of minutes.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Or look here

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...-specs-563403/
scubamc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

they would help
worthless.gif  

BackRoadJPin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Il snap some pictures tomorrow, should of taken them before I posted, my bad.
Unread 02-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Its a quick video and it got fast forwarded while uploading however some of you may be able to determine whats what. I see theres a 30 stamped on the front pumpkin, Im guessing its a dana 30.
I can get another video once I clean it up and stick it on a lift. Started to rain so I only captured a quick video.
Unread 02-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like stock 30 front, 35 rear. I couldn't tell on the tranny. Tcase looks stock as well.

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
Unread 02-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you! One other question, thought id ask instead of creating a new thread. Currently have a 33s with a 3in body lift. Loaded down the rear wheels were rubbing on the fender flares. Im considering getting different flares but what about a 2in shackle lift? I was thinking about larger tires but for the time being Im keeping the 33/12.5/15's. Thanks a lot
Unread 02-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
Thank you! One other question, thought id ask instead of creating a new thread. Currently have a 33s with a 3in body lift. Loaded down the rear wheels were rubbing on the fender flares. Im considering getting different flares but what about a 2in shackle lift? I was thinking about larger tires but for the time being Im keeping the 33/12.5/15's. Thanks a lot
2" shackles are not recommended.

You throw your steering angles way out of whack with that large of a shackle lift (when you lift one side like with a shackle lift, you rotate the axle, read up on alignments for why this is less than ideal).

Save up for a decent spring lift to where you can run 33's and lower that body lift as 3" body lifts are generally frowned upon as well due to the stress they put on the body mounts.

Recommended spring lifts are BDS, OME, and Rubicon Express.

Unread 02-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Iv been reading that people have run into issues with that. I just sold my daily driver in order to put some new parts into the wrangler. Would I just buy a whole kit and remove my body lift? Im new to jeeps, let alone lifts. Would like to gain another inch or two atleast, over my 3in bl.
Unread 02-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #11
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

What "I" would do:

Piece together a 4" lift with some BDS springs/shocks (about 600 bucks), 1/2" Booms (50 bucks through ground pounder fab on the board here), brake relocation brackets, a drop pitman arm, t-case drop (until you can afford a SYE/rear drive shaft), and some shims as necessary for the rear pinion.

Then I'd cut down my 3" BL pucks to 1" and replace the bolts with shorter ones, ditch the track bars/sway bars, and call it a day. There are cheaper ways to do things, but this is what I would do. It is made of solid parts that are gonna work well and hold up. It also gives you room to expand later to 35's if you want.

I'd also start saving for a rear axle swap if you plan to increase tire size and/or lock the axles in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.