how to tell if ur slave cylinder is bad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > how to tell if ur slave cylinder is bad?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 10-29-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
Spigger73
1987 YJ Wrangler 

how to tell if ur slave cylinder is bad?

ok so im done with my swap well one thing is holding me back...The slave cylinder i was wondering how can u tell if its bad i've been bleeding it for a day now and i cant get any pressure i dont see any leaks from the master cylinder i check the firewall on the inside and on the outside no leaks from there so it has to be slave right? or can i just cut the line and try to put a hose instead of the line? to see if its the line...Thank you

Unread 10-29-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

are you losing fluid or are you simply NOT getting any line pressure after bleeding it?

sounds like a bad master cylinder. usually the slave cylinder will leak when it fails.... although this is also usually true with the master cylinder, there are exceptions....

what does the pedal do when you press it to the floor? does it come back up?
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
Spigger73
1987 YJ Wrangler 

the slave doesnt leak and neither does the master the pedal does come back up but i think it might just be the spring pulling it up and there no pressure at all.
Unread 10-30-2007, 10:26 AM   #4
Spigger73
1987 YJ Wrangler 

plz help
Unread 11-01-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
Spigger73
1987 YJ Wrangler 

one laszt question will a 87 clutch master cylinder work with a 94 slave cylinder??
Unread 01-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
Spigger73
1987 YJ Wrangler 

bump
Unread 01-26-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
leedurr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well if you have blead it out sounds like a bad master cyl. When I did the swap from internal to external slave I used everything from a 95 so it was all the same. Should it work I would think yes. I mean a master cyl is a master cyl. On thing to try is put a piece of clear hose on the bleader valve and run it into a clear bottle of fluid. Crack the bleeder and pump the pedal and see if you are getting any bubbles out. Make sure the hose you use in submerged in fluid though. If you are getting bubbles then you need to keep adding fluid and pumping it through till there are no more bubbles. If the bubbles do not stop then you are sucking air somewhere and it will never bleed out right. I have been through a lot of interal slaves before the swap to external so I got pretty good at this.....lol. Good luck. Oh one more thing. If you get a 94 slave you will have to do some filing of the holes to get it fit the 87 bolt patern. Just a heads up for ya.

87 YJ, 4.5 RE lift with monotube RE shocks, 33 LTB's, 258 w/4.0 head, HEI, and Weber carb, Header, Comp 252H cam, Dynomax, cat back and much more.......
leedurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Since air will rise I think if you take the cap off the master and slowly push the pedal down and let it back slow a few times it might purge the air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedurr
Well if you have blead it out sounds like a bad master cyl. When I did the swap from internal to external slave I used everything from a 95 so it was all the same. Should it work I would think yes. I mean a master cyl is a master cyl. On thing to try is put a piece of clear hose on the bleader valve and run it into a clear bottle of fluid. Crack the bleeder and pump the pedal and see if you are getting any bubbles out. Make sure the hose you use in submerged in fluid though. If you are getting bubbles then you need to keep adding fluid and pumping it through till there are no more bubbles. If the bubbles do not stop then you are sucking air somewhere and it will never bleed out right. I have been through a lot of interal slaves before the swap to external so I got pretty good at this.....lol. Good luck. Oh one more thing. If you get a 94 slave you will have to do some filing of the holes to get it fit the 87 bolt patern. Just a heads up for ya.
pat8942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2008, 06:14 AM   #9
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

check the rubber hose on the line, a friend went through the same problem, turned out the old hose was expanding. also, a vacum bleeder works great for getting all the air out easily.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2008, 06:14 PM   #10
leedurr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Since air will rise I think if you take the cap off the master and slowly push the pedal down and let it back slow a few times it might purge the air.
Yes you can do it this way to. Like was stated though pump slowy or you will have ahuge mess.....lol. I do it the other way since I can use my hand to press the pedal and watch the fluid for bubbles. basicly it is a one person bleader. I forgot though some of the new slaves fopr the 94 and newer don't even have a bleader valve so you have to do it the way PAT8942 stated.

87 YJ, 4.5 RE lift with monotube RE shocks, 33 LTB's, 258 w/4.0 head, HEI, and Weber carb, Header, Comp 252H cam, Dynomax, cat back and much more.......
leedurr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.