How strong is the factory driveshaft? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How strong is the factory driveshaft?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-19-2007, 07:50 AM   #16
lturley
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I appreciate the advice, I think I can make a wise decision now. I am going to leave the straps alone until something happens, I am a pretty conservative off-roader wehn compared to the dedicated rock-crawler. Thank you.

lturley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2007, 07:58 AM   #17
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_dj1
every time i've seen the straps break, so did one or more of those pesky little 8mm bolts that hold it to the yoke, not a trail fix! i had to drive home in front wheel and then take the yoke off, weld some washers over the broken remains in the yoke, then weld a nut to the washer and unscrew what was left......i have to have a front strap break though.
I started to carry pinion yokes for that same reason. We our club had similar problems this summer. It is pretty easy to just change out the yoke on the trail. It is a good idea to grind a little grove into the pinion nut and a matching mark on the pinion. That way you can get the pinion pre-load right back to where it was. This works for my D44s, but I am not sure what you do if you have axle with crush sleeves.

Then later at home, I have had good luck of putting the pinion in a vise and using small chisels to back the broken bolt out of the threads. Maybe I just have been lucky.

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.