How to start jeep without key - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to start jeep without key

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 01-19-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
Obcean2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

How to start jeep without key

Ignition cylinder is broken on a 3 day weekend, screwing up my Death Valley trip. Is anyone willing to tell me how to start my jeep without a key? Is it really a matter of just touching two wires or have I watched too much t.v.? I am removing the cylinder tonight and can't get a new one until Tuesday. I just need a temporary fix until then. Please help.

Obcean2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2008, 06:44 PM   #2
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You can start it up by getting a long screwdriver and touching the two things.... crap, I can't remember (I feel like an idiot for that statement). Regardless.... the steering wheel will still be locked in position without the key.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you can get the lock cylinder out you can stick a screwdriver in the hole it goes into and turn it like it was the key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Jack
You can start it up by getting a long screwdriver and touching the two things.... crap, I can't remember (I feel like an idiot for that statement). Regardless.... the steering wheel will still be locked in position without the key.
pat8942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
Zach571
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8942
If you can get the lock cylinder out you can stick a screwdriver in the hole it goes into and turn it like it was the key.
Ditto.

Zach571
www.wohva.com
Zach571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2008, 09:05 PM   #5
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8942
x3, we had to do that back in the day to my mom's old road stroller (minivan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'rouke
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Itís a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
tuckinauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

so this is ALL you have to do to start a YJ?

wow, this makes me realize i really need some type of anti-theft device.
sebastian22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2008, 11:41 PM   #7
dukegnarley
1988 YJ Wrangler 

this guy is totally going to go knife someone's soft top and make off with a jeep. GOOD GOING GUYS!
AW4 swap with awshifter = DONE
custom console
flatdash
dukegnarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2008, 11:51 PM   #8
Lumpymayo
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukegnarley
this guy is totally going to go knife someone's soft top and make off with a jeep. GOOD GOING GUYS!

I have a feeling it has something to do with this.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/ignition-lock-cylinder-help-needed-509418/
Lumpymayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 12:08 AM   #9
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

it's nowhere near as simple as this thread makes it sound.... steering wheel lock is a pain to get around...
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 12:16 AM   #10
Mark455SD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hit the key with a hammer while its in the ignition. Rock the steering wheel back and forth. Then whack it again. Be rough with it...it'll eventually turn the key
Mark455SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 12:36 AM   #11
Zach571
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Once the cylinder is out, all you need is a screw driver, but getting the cylinder out requires the key and an operational cylinder. If its not working then your gonna have some fun with a drill and a lot of choice words. Much easier said than done.

Zach571
www.wohva.com
Zach571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 12:46 AM   #12
Barrio
1992 YJ Wrangler 

so its not like the movies when they spark to wires together? haha
-Rio Red 1995 Ford Mustang- Daily Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfmoney
i see theres a bunch of toughguys on this forum or internet gangstas
Barrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 01:11 AM   #13
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukegnarley
Care to place a wager on that?

I'm NOT a betting man, but I'll take you up on any wager amount you'd like to place on that. I could sure use the $$$$$$.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 01:44 AM   #14
Obcean2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard
Care to place a wager on that?

I'm NOT a betting man, but I'll take you up on any wager amount you'd like to place on that. I could sure use the $$$$$$.
Well, someone is wrong on two counts...I am not going to knife anyone's soft top and I am not a guy. Sorry. Thanks for the vote of confidence, Joe! So, here is the deal on taking out the lock cylinder. It took 2.5 hours in the dark with a flashlight and a headlamp. The hammer (big chunk o' wood, I come from a long, long line of rednecks) was of no use to me. Steering wheel came right off, as did the lock plate. Yippee, cause I knew that was gonna be a pain. Then all the turn signal, dimmer, hazard crap...never did figure out how that comes out, and it is going to have to soon cause important looking plastic pieces are broken. Anyway, didn't need to move it anyway cause there was a tiny little slot I jammed my screwdriver into and the cylinder came right out. I learned that all that stuff on t.v. about two wires is much harder work than real life....and I learned that you can't start my jeep with a screwdriver, and I don't see how anyone else can start theirs that way either. Mine has to be started with a pair of needle nose pliers. Steering wheel is now on upside down. I tried everything I could think of and the stupid lock plate could only go on one way, so that is how I put it on. One big surprise was all the flipping hair and greasy, oily dirt that was inside the column. How in the heck does that happen? This has been a strange 5 week relationship with my jeep. At least now I can go jeeping tomorrow. Thanks for all the help, guys.
Obcean2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 09:21 AM   #15
Fingers
2001 TJ Wrangler 

my key wouldnt come out one day so i got mad and pulled it real hard and ripped it out. Now i just use a pair of pliers to start my jeep.
Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.