How to soften ride?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to soften ride??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 12-13-2005, 01:57 PM   #1
itsajeepthing17
1985 CJ7 

How to soften ride??

Ok here is whats up. I installed a 4" Procomp lift about 2 months ago and of course i new the ride quality would change. The ride was definately ruff but i hoped that is would loosen up some after a couple thousand miles. The suspension is still very stiff. No matter where i am driving the whole jeep bounces up and down. When i installed the lift i ended up with some *EXTRA * washers, Im wondering if they were supposed to go between the shackle and the leaf spring instead of having the rubber on the leaf spring rub on the shackle the washer would,?? Another question is would getting a different style of shackle help soften the ride. I konw I cant have a luxury ride but anything would help!

[URL="http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh289/jeeper92/the%20jeep/"]http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh289/jeeper92/the%20jeep/[/URL]
itsajeepthing17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2005, 02:07 PM   #2
bretm

I don't think there's that much difference btw rubber and poly, but new rubber pieces for the suspension and body will be the softest theoretically. Did you (lithium) grease the suspension when you assembled it? How tight did you make the shackles?

Tire pressure seems to make the biggest change to me, 24lbs rides a lot softer than 28lbs. I tend to feel that it wanders too much when that low, and slides too easily in the rain (forget about the snow), but if a soft ride is what you're after...
Unread 12-13-2005, 03:06 PM   #3
micfly83

I took the smallest leaf out on my Trailmaster lift. Rides great and flexes like the expensive ones. Didn't lose that much lift either (the width of a leaf ). I'm sure it will weakin the springs some, but so far they've held up fine, without any sagging, and i've thrown a lot at them.

I also have new shocks...DT3000s, cheap and they ride fairly well.
1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ, 2.5L High Output, High flow aluminum intake, 4.0L Throttle Body, 62mm TB Spacer, bored out intake manifold, 5spd, 3" suspension lift, 31" BFG A/Ts, Two 10,000lb tow hooks, DT3000s, Outland lightbar, 5 high powered offroad lights, Mapp Nerf Bars, 102" whip antenna, Midland CB, 6 speaker soundbar, Smallest leaf removed, Air restrictor removed, No trackbars, No swaybars, No A/C, Custom 32 song horn-

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/753987
micfly83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2005, 03:36 PM   #4
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I took the smallest (bottom) leaf out of my pro-crap stack hoping to soften the ride a little. It didn't seem to help much. I also lost about an inch of the lift by doing this. I finally gave up on it and replaced it. Greaseable shackles and main eye bolts can only help. Also make sure the shackle bolts are not over torqued. Are you still running with the sway bar and track bars? Removing them make a difference.
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2005, 03:38 PM   #5
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Never Buy Pro Comp Springs

You have a Pro-Comp lift...there is nothing you can do. Seriously. Nothing.

It is the stiffest spring there is. I made the mistake of replacing bent front springs with pro comps (I am embarrassed to admit it). It is awful. Pro comp has no business or excuse make springs that stiff.

You can air down to 20 and that will help some, but you are screwed. Sorry.

That is the very reason I renewed the following thread: http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178834

I am getting rid of my pro comps for Rubicon Express.

For those who may read this, NEVER BUY PRO COMP SPRINGS FOR YOUR JEEP!

They will bust your spleen and knock the fillings out of your teeth on a smooth paved road.

Oh yeah..new shackles will make no difference...save your money.

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2005, 04:26 PM   #6
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I've got an RC lift, and man was it stiff. The instructions had the shackles torqued to something like 95FP. ugh. I loosened them to 35FB as recommended by some folks on the board and it helped signifigantly.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2005, 04:44 PM   #7
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

With those stiff leafs, you have a few options. I would first loosen the shackles like Richmond88yj recommended. Use nylocls or locktite on the nuts so they don't back out.

Next, I'd remove the front and rear trackbar. The rear is a nobrained but the front is more of a perferance. Well on softer springs. Since you've got those stiff springs, you won't need to stiffen the front end any more. Some people like to open up the spring clamps so the springs can work independantly when needed. Better shocks would help also. Those cheap ES3000's are really hard. You'll want to make sure you grease all of the bolts and bushings too.

Longer shackles may help but that will really depend on what the shackle angle is once it settles. Then you've also got to think about camber angles as well as pinion angles with those.
Unread 12-13-2005, 05:56 PM   #8
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

No matter how long his shackles are the springs still will not bend - they are too stiff. With my Pro Comp springs I tried long shackles and then switched to boomerang shackles. It made no difference. Save your money!

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2005, 06:00 PM   #9
admar2

sell the YJ and buy a TJ?

admar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2005, 06:59 PM   #10
ballsout1

what your probably feelin is the back suspension kickin when you go over whatever, its gonna be more in the back than the front. if you go over speed bumps slow and concentrate you wil see what i mean. I would take out a leaf in the back, not the short 1`st one ,the second one. i`m basing this on the style leaf pack i had. I didnt lose any lift (thats how nasty it was) if you lose a inch or so make it up with a long shackle. this probably isnt the ideal thing but its workin with what ya got and you`ll probably be happy with the improvemnt.
ballsout1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2005, 08:39 PM   #11
mYJ

Well as you've heard here... you bought the worst possible springs you could have. I do know that when I removed my track bars the ride improved on mine a bit. That said... I do love my OME lift cuz it rides nice!

[SIZE=1]92 YJ 2.5, OME, Flat Fendered, 31" Big O XTs, Crager Soft 8s, Posi-Lok, no sway/track bars, Exide Orbital, K&N, 4.0 TB & TBS, Mopar Performance Cam, Glass pack & Hi-Flow cat, Grant GT Removable Wheel, Tuffy Console, Other Stuff.[/SIZE]
[FONT=Impact][SIZE=2]Black JeepClub V2.0 #33[/SIZE] [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma] - Me & Roy[/FONT]
mYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2005, 09:15 PM   #12
STP743
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I've had my 4" procomp in since the spring and it takes a while for them to soften. If your looking for a softer ride go with a street tire. I just put on my crappy 31 radial no name tires for winter and it rides smoother then BFG All terrians.
Especially on pot holes the tires can absord alot more impact.

I don't run a rear trac bar either
STP743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2005, 09:48 PM   #13
oct7brian
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by admar2
sell the YJ and buy a TJ?

I was thinking that but you beat me to it.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 3.7L Auto

1998 TJ 4.0 Auto Sahara Package 4" Suspension Lift 33 BFG Hard & Soft Top
oct7brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2005, 10:25 PM   #14
itsajeepthing17
1985 CJ7 

thanks everyone for the input. I am going to loosen up the shackle bolts because i remember torqing them down pretty good when installing the lift. I didnt get the procomp shocks so i think ill be fine i ended up getting SkyJacker shocks instead so anyways. As for being the worst lift made.... not to be rude or nothing but Im happy i have a jeep with lift and tires. I bought what i could afford and thats that. Thanks Y'all Yah a Tj would be nice someday!!
[URL="http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh289/jeeper92/the%20jeep/"]http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh289/jeeper92/the%20jeep/[/URL]
itsajeepthing17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2005, 02:52 PM   #15
RealJeep

ive got the pro comp lift and its not that bad, its a little rough but has loosened up nicely after some off roading trips. no front sway bar is the way to go along with loosening up your shackle bolts. flex it out a bit too. as far as the spring clamps go, anyone have any more information on if that helps at all by loosening othem up?
1992 Wrangler Sahara, 4.0L HO, Dynomax exhaust, Kc daylighters, 4" pro comp suspension lift, 33x12.50 BFG MT's, 15x10 rockcrawlers, hurst shifter, Off-road bumpers, SYE, 2-10's, MM 8000 Winch, ARB Snorkel, MORE Boomerangs, CB
RealJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.