How to set timing for nutter bypass? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to set timing for nutter bypass?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 02-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
gmclb7
1989 YJ Wrangler 

How to set timing for nutter bypass?

I am trying to learn everything I can before installing the mc2150 carb and doing the nutter bypass. I understand how to do all the wiring but have never messed with timing before. Could someone give me a quick run through on how to do this? The jeep is a 89 with a 4.2

gmclb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
jdubsjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

loosen distributor hold down bolt, block off distributor vacuum line, hook up timing light, clean degree wheel and mark, start up motor and shine light from drivers side. set at 6-8 degree btc
jdubsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
shuss03
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Search " Working of your distributor, how to tune it". All you never wanted to know about the subject. Some very good info though.
shuss03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
gmclb7
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Really want to get this done this weekend. I know it may sound stupid but what exactly is the "light flashing" for she setting the timing. If someone could just give me quick step by step to get this thing timed correctly for the nutter. I have never messed with any timing at all so help me out haha
Unread 03-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
JeepinJer
1999 WJ 

"flashing light" is a timing light. If you look down at your timing chain cover from the drivers side, you should see some notches with numbers next to them. 0 would represent Top dead center or TDC), everything after that is Before TDC.
I believe the auto stores will loan you a timing light. so here are the steps to take

clean up them marks so you can see what you are aiming at. there is also a notch on the balancer (big disc right in front of the timing chain cover) try to get a little white paint in that notch so you can see it easier (or chalk or whatever will make it stand out) you might need to bump the ignition a few times to where the notch is visible to get to. of course this is all done without the jeep running.....

now once they are all cleaned up, start the jeep and let it warm up to operating temp. there is a bolt on a hold down clamp on the distributor. it is under the distributor, on the motor, on the front facing side. mine takes a 1/2 inch wrench. loosen that bolt up so the distributor can be rotated, but still tight enough that is doesnt move on its own. hook up your timing light to the battery and the 3rd clamp to the #1 spark plug. disconnect the vacuum advance line off of the distributor and plug it. if youre a golfer, a golf tee works perfectly. I suppose even if you dont golf, a golf tee will still work LOL. now move your light over to the side where the notches are and point the light at those notches. you should see the mark from the balancer line up with one of the numbers on the marks on the timing chain cover. this is your current timing. if you need to adjust it, slowly turn the distributor to set the timing. try not to use the cap to turn the distributor, I cant remember exactly which direction does what, but one way retards the timing while the other side advances it. you will notice when you move it that the idle speed changes a bit. if you hear the motor start to knock or ping, go the opposite direction until you achieve a good running idle. a good starting point is 8*. set it to 8*, tighten the clamp, and hook back up the vacuum advance line and drive around and "feel" how the jeep runs. try to notice ant flat spots or hesitations or listen for any pinging or knocking in the motor. after that if you need to, repeat the steps and adjust the timing until you feel the jeep runs smooth in low and high RPMs. Hope this helps out, and if you have any questions feel free to PM me. Im always willing to help good luck!
JeepinJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
gmclb7
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Exactly what I needed. I will try to get it done tonight or tomorrow. Thanks
Unread 03-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
JeepinJer
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmclb7 View Post
Exactly what I needed. I will try to get it done tonight or tomorrow. Thanks
No worries man!

Let me know if you run into troubles or any other questions. Sometimes trying to put something in writing doesnt come out right. this is why i dont do write-ups....
Unread 03-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
gmclb7
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well got it all done. Seems to run and idle much smoother but once I get to 4th gear now it bogs down. Any ideas? Timing is now set to 8* adv
Unread 03-19-2012, 01:30 AM   #9
JeepinJer
1999 WJ 

are you running your vac advance off of a ported or manifold vac? I am not very familiar with the MC carbs, I have a Weber, Play with your timing a bit more.. 8* is a "universal" starting point.... mine is about 12... Did you remember to plug the vac advance when setting the timing? are the butterflies opening up all the way after it is warmed up? is the accelerator pump in the carb up to par?
Unread 03-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
bdavid
1988 YJ Wrangler 

nutter

I just finished this and WOW what a huge difference........I have a webber carb on it and after i did the nutter bypass I did a quick tune and all I can say is thank you............

As for the timing I cleaned the timing marks on the timing cover then I marked the engine dampener with whit out were the small slit is and set my base timing at 10 and full advanced seems around 34...I will play with it later....You will hear the motor rev up when you turn the dis counter clockwise..then set your idle and fuel mix and your done...
bdavid is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.