How-To on Replacing Clutch Master Cylinder on 1992 YJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How-To on Replacing Clutch Master Cylinder on 1992 YJ?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 10-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #1
papotter
1992 YJ Wrangler 

How-To on Replacing Clutch Master Cylinder on 1992 YJ?

I'm having trouble getting my YJ into gear. When I bought the vehicle (used) a year ago my mechanic noted that the clutch master cylinder leaks and should be replaced. I checked the fluid level tonight and it's almost dry, so I'm going to try to replace it as a first step.

I'm a novice maintenance guy (to date, have replaced the alternator, starter motor, belts and hoses) and the steps in the Haynes guide aren't very descriptive. Could someone point me in the direction of a decent how-to?

Also, should the 'slave' cylinder also be replaced at this point, and does this require dropping the transmission? My tools and gear are limited so hopefully replacing the master cylinder can be done in my garage without a mechanic.

Was planning to buy this one to replace:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...aster+cylinder

papotter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My phone isn't working right, so I cannot see your jeep info. If its an external slave cylinder, then its only two bolts. Yes replace both. The master is two bolts as well. Drain the system. If you buy a prebled kit then you don't have to remove the old hose. Now that its drained, remove the hose using a punch to take out the roll pin on the mc and sc. Now remove the pin that is at the top of your clutch pedal on the inside of the jeep and pull the rod off the pedal. Loosen off the two bolts on the mc, then remove mc. On the sc, remove the two bolts. Install is reverse. Follow bleeding directions that come with new unit. They are usually the same as your brake system.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
beemerkid
1993 YJ Wrangler 

A master cylinder is within your reach with basic tools and is very easy to do. Its pretty much a pull off, replace, and bleed. The slave cylinder is inside the bellhousing so you do have to pull the transmission to do it. Ive done it in my garage before but you will need a jack to support the transfer case and transmission when you remove them. If you decide to do the slave cylinder myself and others here can give assistance. If you decide to do the slave you should at least check the clutch while youre there.
beemerkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Clutch Master cyl replacement thread from the FAQ http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...cement-728960/

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
papotter
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks as always for the prompt response, you guys are lifesavers.

I decided to replace the clutch master cylinder only (for now, because I don't want to drop the transmission if I don't have to). Replacing the unit was easy, but then I ran into trouble with bleeding the system. Full disclosure, I'm not always the sharpest tool in the shed with these things, very much an auto mechanic novice, so bear with me:

Per many forum posts, I went looking for the bleed valve near my transmission. I knew what I was looking for (saw the posted photos) but couldn't find it. So instead, I stupidly tried to 'disassemble' what I now know to be the slave cylinder. Here's a photo of the results:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2157238/201...2012.31.36.jpg

This was obviously not a great idea. I then had the great idea to look on the OTHER SIDE of the tranny and there was the bleeder valve staring me in the face.

In the end, I ended up bleeding the system by filling the master cylinder and having a friend pump the clutch, allowing the air to escape, per advice from other forum posts.

Long story short, two questions:
1) The clutch is responsive and my shifting is back to normal. Have I adequately bled the system or do I have to use the valve by the tranny?
2) What the hell did I do to the slave cylinder and will this be a problem going forward? Note from the photo that the metal bit is twisted, but still intact.

Not my finest work today but hopefully with the sage guidance of the JeepForumers I can keep my 92 YJ alive.

Thanks all.

P
papotter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

If the clutch is working good drive it. Apparently you got the air out. The twist needs to be examined this way. It took a lot of talent and hardworking to put that custom pipe In there!!!
You can deal with it if and when you remove the tranny.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by papotter View Post
Wuf!

It takes a lotta courage to publicize our less-than-successful endeavors, but it helps everyone learn. I'm not sure I quite got how you bled your system, but it sounds like it is working.

For now.

The metal may be intact, or at some point you may notice your clutch is losing its action. It does not constitute a safety issue per se but at some point it could fail. Replacing the internal slave is a real PITA, on top of that, there are numerous tales of woe of Jeepers who have replaced their int slave 3 X in a row in short order to find one that works. You should go OEM on an internal slave even though it is more expensive, and even though you may have to go to the stealership to obtain one. It is known that having a new component in the clutch hydraulic system can cause the other component to fail in short order, so you may find the int slave fails before that twisted line breaks or leaks. Honestly, I'd search out a source for a new internal slave, and the other stuff to replace your clutch, because when you pull the trans, you may as well do the clutch, unless you just did it. Likely though, it's still the orig clutch. In the meantime while you gather parts, you should be able to drive it with your custom spiral hydraulic line.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 10-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinaphps View Post
A master cylinder is within your reach with basic tools and is very easy to do.
You may be confusing External Clutch slave with Internal clutch slave. OP has the internal clutch slave, which requires pulling out the transmission to do the job. Couldn't tell from your profile what Jeep you have though.

Then again, I suppose that it does only require basic tools to do that job as well, it's just the magnitude of the task at hand. Pull trans-VS-undo 2 nuts and put in an external clutch slave.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #9
hopelessredneck
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I am aware that this is an old thread but was I'm going through situation just like this i wanted to add my 2 cents for any future readers The guy that Started this thread has a 92 YJ just like me, so that means a internal slave. i had my slave go on me about 2 months ago and had to replace it so i pulled the trans and got it replaced the slave, and not 2 weeks ago it let go again. so i had to redo it the night before a 2000 km trip which not even an hour into the trip i noticed that the CMS was dying as it was not keeping enough pressure in the throwout bearing so it was tapping the fingers on the pressure plate. So today im re and reing my CMS. So to those who have yet to replace any of these replace them at the same time and anyone with an internal slave try and find a bell housing from a 94-95 as they are external and will make life easier
hopelessredneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
clutch , clutch master cylinder , clutch master slave , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.