How to replace a lower steering shaft and bearing with epic pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to replace a lower steering shaft and bearing with epic pics

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 12-31-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

How to replace a lower steering shaft and bearing with epic pics

the bearing for my steering shaft and the shaft itself are shot. they had been going for a while, and then the other day after i beat the piss out of it in the snow the bearing fell off, the steering wheel was bouncing up an down, what an experience

if you are unsure if your steering shaft is bad, grab it and shake it, if it moves around the bearing is shot. when you twist the shaft check for play in the joints at the top an bottom of it.

this is the new shaft quadratec sent me, 109$ list

personally i think all crown automotive parts are junk, so i was a little let down when they sent me a crown shaft.

it should be assumed i used a lot of pb blaster on every thing i removed

first there are 4 bolts holding your steering box to the frame

the bottom two bolts (in the picture one of them is still in) go through a bracket that is bolted to the frame. on the firewall side bolt i ended up having to grind the bolt head off that goes into the frame in the bracket. it rusted an broke out inside.

after you have those bolts out you can lower the steering box a little, i supported mine with a jack stand.

you cant tell from the pics, but i ended up removing my washer fluid and coolant reservoir bottles

next your going to remove the bolt for the upper clamp on the steering shaft

next you remove the bolt for the lower clamp

once thats done you have to work the shaft off the upper shaft and the steering box, i say work cause it'll be seized on there. i used a pry bar and a hammer to spread the clamps open wider. i got it off the steering box first, and then was able to just hammer the shaft off the upper shaft.

that picture shows where my old bearing slid down and out of place

here is the new bearing kit

next you remove the old bearing assembly, first the ring comes off with a screw driver, then the outer metal case, the bearing, and the plastic ring.

just put the new parts back in the same way, first the plastic piece and the bearing

and then you just put on the metal cap piece and lock that in with the metal ring. after that just slide the new shaft on.

i put a lil weld on mine to really lock it in place, thats probably unnecessary though i just had a buzz going an thought it was a good idea. regardless once you slide the shaft back on you just tighten down the clamp bolts and re install the steering box.

and thats it, its fairly easy i'd say, my steering feels amazing. i was going to replace the steering box too, but i may not now since this eliminated 85% of my steering play.

SteveJcoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
-Deepskyy-
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Good write up
So far the only thing that is starting to go on mine is the unit bearing on the driver side. Not looking forward to that fix.
-Lt. General Charles, Earl Cornwallis after the battle of Guilford Courthouse NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime05 View Post
Females are a dime-a-dozen. Jeeps are forever. Easy choice. Be indispensible or be gone. :wave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
We are Jeepforum. We can do the unthinkable. We are Jeep strong. And head stubborn. We are. JEEPFORUM.
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Red Jeep #543
-Deepskyy- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Good job, Your write-up will be most helpful to many.
Next time throw your Quadratec book in the garbage and save some money. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-95...Q5fAccessories

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice write up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker View Post
Good job, Your write-up will be most helpful to many.
Next time throw your Quadratec book in the garbage and save some money. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-95...Q5fAccessories

Dwayne
i like to only use new parts if i have the money to, im bitter towards junk yard parts from dealing with so many rusted and rotted out parts for so long. if i could do it again i would definitely spend the extra money on a HD shaft or a mopar one.
SteveJcoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
weldeng449

intermediate steering shaft replacement

Nice write up. I'm changing my steering gera box and having a tough time reinstalling the intermediate shaft. Is it supposed to expand and collapse? Mine seems to be frozen. This makes connecting to the top and bottom almost impossible!!! Argh!! If it would colapse and then expand it would work I think. Any ideas?
Thanks,
David
weldeng449 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #7
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

David, the shaft will collapse. I suggest spraying PB Blaster down into the sliding part and then working it in and out. You also "lightly" tap the shaft with a rubber hammer to get it sliding. The key word is lightly. Keep working it and use lots of Blaster. It will work loose, then grease it. Reinstall. Done.
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
weldeng449

Thanks a bunch Flajeeper1. I'll keep after it!
David
weldeng449 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Nice. Couple things to add.

The bolts on the end clamps of the steering shaft have to come all the way out; there is a notch on the shaft so just loosening it won't let the shaft come off.

It's pretty common for the upper bearing to fall apart and the inner race to get stuck on the shaft. Just dremel a groove across it and it will come right off.

If you are replacing the shaft there is no reason to unbolt the steering box, just cut the old one in half with a sawzall.

The new shafts come collapsed and there is some sort of waxy grease inside that makes them a pita to slide out but it will come if you pull it hard enough.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #10
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Nice. Couple things to add.

The bolts on the end clamps of the steering shaft have to come all the way out; there is a notch on the shaft so just loosening it won't let the shaft come off.

It's pretty common for the upper bearing to fall apart and the inner race to get stuck on the shaft. Just dremel a groove across it and it will come right off.

If you are replacing the shaft there is no reason to unbolt the steering box, just cut the old one in half with a sawzall.

The new shafts come collapsed and there is some sort of waxy grease inside that makes them a pita to slide out but it will come if you pull it hard enough.
JBolty, Are you talking about the lower bearing in the steering column just above the intermediate shaft?

weldeng449. JBolty's post reminds me to tell you to look at the lower bearing in the upper steering column just above where the intermediate shaft connects. These bearings are not sealed and have a tendency to go bad when they get mud or dirt in them.
Unread 03-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #11
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flajeeper1 View Post
JBolty, Are you talking about the lower bearing in the steering column just above the intermediate shaft?

weldeng449. JBolty's post reminds me to tell you to look at the lower bearing in the upper steering column just above where the intermediate shaft connects. These bearings are not sealed and have a tendency to go bad when they get mud or dirt in them.
Yep, that's the one he's replacing.

You can find the replacement kits for < $20 on Amazon.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2012, 12:23 AM   #12
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My Bad i somehow skipped through the thread and didn't see the pics on the bearing.....
Unread 04-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
marzcap328
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Excellent write up. I'll be doing this Friday. Hope all goes well. Is dropping the steering box truly necessary?

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/17-year-old-dream-1146581/"]Build Thread- 17 Year Old Dream[/URL]
marzcap328 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 12:46 AM   #14
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzcap328 View Post
Excellent write up. I'll be doing this Friday. Hope all goes well. Is dropping the steering box truly necessary?
It is pointed out above a couple of time you do not have to drop the steering box.
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #15
marzcap328
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It is pointed out exactly one time, but thank you for your answer.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/17-year-old-dream-1146581/"]Build Thread- 17 Year Old Dream[/URL]
marzcap328 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.