How to replace a cowl seal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to replace a cowl seal

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 03-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
Aduffy32
1998 TJ Wrangler 

How to replace a cowl seal

How would i go about installing a new cowl seal for the bottom of my windshield? Any write ups are is it just really easy?

Thanks

Unread 03-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Its pretty easy, You fold the windshield down(undo the rollbar bolts at the top of the windshield on both sides as well as the plates on the dash) Then the seal is just screwed to the bottom of the windshield. They say not to use any silicone or sealant on the new gasket. Also take the time to fix the rust you will most likely find while you have it apart.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
OKRenegade
1984 CJ7 

Not to resurrect a really old thread but is there a good write up or discussion about how to fix the rust that is in this location(bottom lip of the windshield above the cowl seal)?
OKRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

IMHO, if you have rot showing on the outside of your windshield frame, it will be much worse where you can not see it. If it were me, and you want to replace the weatherstrip, but a new windshield frame, have it painted and a new glass installed. Then buy 8 new stainless steel windshield hinge bolts (this way you can just drill out the old ones that will either break or strip) and then you can just put the new frame in. They like to rot around the glass and under the frame where the weatherstrip sits.

Anywhere you go on the frames ten to get into a lot of work, and they are all in all cheap and simple to install. "if" your old windshield just happens to be broken, you "might" be able to put in a glass claim. At that point, most glass shops would be just fine with putting the new glass in your freshly painted frame.
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
Newk76
1991 YJ Wrangler 

we got lucky and only had one little surface rust spot on our windshield frame when we got started with it. There is a very good possibility that it wasn't the original frame though, we found a lot of evidence of shattered glass in the folds of the dash. We just sanded it good, primed with some self etching primer, and shot the paint with rest of the jeep. if it would have been worse, we probably would have done what firefyter said and replaced the whole frame.
Newk76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 12:35 AM   #6
OKRenegade
1984 CJ7 

@ Firefyter-Emt, thanks for the feedback, appreciate it. By and large I think I'm pretty lucky on the windshield, the only rust it has is the very bottom of the windshield where it sits in the recess of the cowl seal. The actual seal around the glass and all the other metal are in good shape, as are the brackets. I only noticed the problem because the cowl seal was in bad shape so I decided to replace it, and once I took it off I saw the rust.
OKRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2011, 11:53 PM   #7
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

When I removed my cowl gasket last night, I had a holy-crapload of sealant on both the windshield side, and the body side, and two of the screws were missing. Scraping that off took more time than the rest of the job. And I broke one of the zippers when taking loose my bestop.

I also found a set of prayer beads in the dash but that's for another post.
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
Kimztonka
1990 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=castorriver;12499613]When I removed my cowl gasket last night, I had a holy-crapload of sealant on both the windshield side, and the body side, and two of the screws were missing. Scraping that off took more time than the rest of the job.

I found all of the above same when I was replacing the windshield cowl seal and on top it I broke 2 bolts but that's ok I want to replace them all with standard stainless ones
Kimztonka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.