"How-To" Repair your ECU - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > "How-To" Repair your ECU

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 08-05-2008, 11:43 PM   #1
AtzMaBoy
1988 YJ Wrangler 

"How-To" Repair your ECU

Someone great once said, “Necessity is the mother of all invention” (Plato). Well, I don’t claim to be Plato, but I do have the High Honors of possessing “Necessity”. That brings me to my point.

While Dad and I were working on this 1988 YJ project, we developed “necessity”. The Jeep was purchased with a suspect computer and wiring problem and in a non running condition. An eBay Wiring harness and ECU made short work of that “no run state” and the project rolled on. Until… The full description of that failure and symptoms can be found in this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/fuel-pump-symptoms-need-help-574745/

I would like to share what I found and what was done to REPAIR the ECU. If only one person can gain from this experience, I would feel like our blessing could be passed along to another in need.

First the basics: 1989 YJ, 2.5 4 Cylinder, Throttle Body Injection, Manual 5 speed.
Failure Symptoms: Fuel Pump Runs continuously with key turned from Off to ON position, No Spark, No Fuel Pulse at TB Injector.
ECU’s - common Part No. EF8953005023 (and the Renix 9-2099)
Renix (Remanufactured; original unit in Jeep, a non running purchase)
Bendix (eBay + Harness, worked when installed. Until…)
Siemens X2, (eBay purchase, seller sent two “just in case”. Both NOGO)

And I suppose a disclaimer is needed for those fool hearty enough not to realize if all goes well, they will be repairing a component that in not supposed to be repairable. Follow These Directions At your Own Risk; I am not responsible for what you do to your Jeep. …sorry

Early in the troubleshooting process I became fully convinced that the ECU was the point of failure. I eventually wound up having 4 ECU’s in hand and with nothing else to loose, coupled with the fact of being too stubborn to pay retail for a New Computer just to put it in and possibly toast it, (read no return on electrical parts) I had to go with my gut and crack them open.

Tools needed for the job:
TORX 10 & 20
Soldering Tool & Resin Core Solder (de-soldering may be necessary)
Patience

Here we are set up for the job…

The ECU is removed from the mounting bracket and the back cover is removed. The cover is held on by four Torx 10 screws. What I found in all cases was a heat damaged printed circuit board and or a diode.

This picture shows one board with a damaged Trace, the connection between Pin 3 on the main connector and the diode at position D35. Second picture marked for clarity.

A Multi-Meter set to Ohm’s can confirm no continuity resulting in an open trace.

This can also be performed easier from the bottom of the board.

To remove board from housing, remove the 4 - torx 10 at red circles and 1- Torx 20 at green circle. Lift board carefully from opposite side of main connector, do not bend PCB. (Poor picture sorry)

This is a picture of a damaged diode. Picture taken after de-soldering from ECU. This metered a value of .492 and was BAD, another was metered “open”, also bad.

This is a GOOD diode, meter value at 1.522 and another measured the same, these were the two boards I repaired.

The Renix remanufactured unit had a Heavy Duty looking diode installed when it was remanufactured, who knows when. I quickly realized that if the printed circuit was restored, it was highly likely that all would be good! Time to repair the open trace.

Carefully make a jumper wire from your choice stock, CAT5 in my case; this will be used to restore the open circuit.
Continued....

1988 YJ, 2.5 4cyl TBI, 5 Speed, 4WD, 31's. Repaired ECU, Herculined. Wrenchin', scrapin', learnin', paintin', enjoy'n! - The "Work in Progress" …continues into '11! (althought she's been on the road since '08! Enjoy it Dad!)

Last edited by AtzMaBoy; 08-06-2008 at 12:13 AM..
AtzMaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2008, 11:44 PM   #2
AtzMaBoy
1988 YJ Wrangler 

...Resumed

Lay it in and size it up to fit before soldering. Double check that you are making the correct connections!

Here is the Jumper after being soldered to correct pins.

A covering of Hot Glue provides both insulation and protection.

And lastly a quick check to verify operation. If you’ve made it this far, I hope you are as blessed as we were! Running Jeep, Priceless!
After testing, the unit was remounted into the outer case and reinstalled into the Jeep.

Final testing and “The Payoff”, Road Trip… (Ahh, life is good!) “Dad in his Jeep YJ”

Two ECU’s repaired - the fix; using the repaired Trace method. I will be looking for replacement diodes to mount into the two remaining ECU’s. I am confident that this will resolve their conditions as well.
I am also pretty certain that the weak connection or no connection at the starter relay main lug and the fusible links were the contributing factors in this particular failure. These were also completely redone while waiting for the mailman. Note: Pin 3 on the main ECU connector is identified in the FSM as Starter Switch.
1988 YJ, 2.5 4cyl TBI, 5 Speed, 4WD, 31's. Repaired ECU, Herculined. Wrenchin', scrapin', learnin', paintin', enjoy'n! - The "Work in Progress" …continues into '11! (althought she's been on the road since '08! Enjoy it Dad!)

Last edited by AtzMaBoy; 08-06-2008 at 12:12 AM..
Unread 08-06-2008, 01:26 AM   #3
BlackRhino
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Good job! Most electronics failures are caused by something simple like that.
Unread 08-06-2008, 04:38 AM   #4
markr1001
1987 YJ Wrangler 

sweet.. go to know, i know quite a few people with those jeeps that have had that problem, and im sure they all still have the old ones too...
markr1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2008, 05:08 AM   #5
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the time consuming write up, and with pics, I now believe you! (JK)
Good Job!
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2008, 05:25 AM   #6
AtzMaBoy
1988 YJ Wrangler 

...there was a time when a man’s word was good enough.

Just kiddin'. I decided to do the "How-to" long before "that comment". The few hours it took to write up and prep the pictures were just a small portion of time compared to the many weeks of waiting around for useless parts and dealing with the frustration of the "unknown". It wasn’t all wasted time though, other things continued on the project build, (yeah we got pictures of those jobs too).

I'll say it again, if one person saves time, money or frustrated headaches, the whole jeep community has prospered.

Future users, post a reply if this helped you out. Enjoy!
Unread 08-06-2008, 05:37 AM   #7
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I agree 100%. Most believe this kind of stuff is impossible and just buy a new ECU. Either JF readers are extremely frugal, or just finatics. Either way, it's nice to know there are options out there!
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2008, 09:17 PM   #8
AtzMaBoy
1988 YJ Wrangler 

PASSED - Pennsylvania State Inspection & Emissions done today!
Fiirst stickers since 2005! Ahh, life is good.
Unread 11-11-2008, 12:16 PM   #9
Andy89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Same problem with '89 YJ 2.5L

Thanks for taking the time to post your solution to the fried ECU. I had the exact same problem you described, only difference was the fuel pump doesn't run at all (I think yours ran all the time). Problem appears to be caused when the electric terminal for the headlights, clock, etc. broke off of the post. No headlights with Jeep off, but Jeep started and ran, and headlights then worked for a second or two, then the engine stopped immediately. I think the power to the headlights must have found an alternate path through the computer and fried the same diode you showed in your picture.

Question - what is the spec. for the diode you replaced (if you remember), and where did you get it? My diode is a "BY 251", but Radio Shack doesn't carry those.

Thanks again for your post!
Andy89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 01:13 PM   #10
Andy89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Success!

After my last post, I did some checking into the diode situation. My ECU was a Bendix (I think) and was made in France. The blown diode was a "BY251", which is a European designation for a 200 volt 3 amp diode. The nearest American equivalent as far as I can tell is a "1N5402", which Radio Shack supposeldy carries. What they actually had was a lot of "1N5404"s, which are 400 volt and 3.0 amp diodes. The guy at the local Radio Shack seemed to know what he was talking about, and he said the 1N5404 would be OK since the amp rating was the same, and the allowable voltage was higher. After some angst, and because I couldn't wait to see if I could actually fix the ECU, I replaced the diode with the 1N5404 and repaired three melted traces on the circuit board. I plugged it into the Jeep. After a heart stopping moment when nothing happened, I realized that I had removed the negative battery terminal while messing around with ECU. Reconnected that, turned the key, and heard the sweet sound of the engine starting.

I think this same thing happened to me three years ago when (as I realized just this weekend) the fuel pump terminal at the starter relay/main post must have broken off, and due to the same design flaw, it fried the computer. That time, the bill from the dealer was $1,000 +/- for diagnosis, new fuel pump (I think it was just the terminal), labor, and a new computer. This time my out of pocket was 85 cents for the diode and 25 cents or so for a new terminal end for the headlight circuit! Thanks again! I was starting to think it was time for the scrapyard!
Andy89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2009, 03:47 AM   #11
AtzMaBoy
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry Andy89YJ, for the slow/no reply, I been away from the board awhile. Great news on your fix! I mentioned it before, the whole "ordeal" that dad and I went through, quickly fades away knowing that others are finding this "how-to" helpful.

I just love the sound of that... "the 85 cent solution"! (that has a nice ring to it)

How often do your hear the word "cents" during a Wrangler repair?
Unread 02-04-2009, 06:24 AM   #12
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Diodes

The large diode is a transorb. Its purpose in life is to surpress transients caused by "load dumping". If it is blown then what has happened is a large device load was intermittantly connecting and disconnecting, usually the battery. The diode limits system transients to 30Vdc. All the electrical components are designed to survive up to 30Vdc.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #13
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My 91 2.5L is not sending the right info to my injectors resulting in the 1st one to not work. I swapped injectors to make sure it wa sthe wiring and it is. For some reason the computer just isn't sending what it's supposed to in order for the 1st injector to spray gas.

Is it possible that I have a similar issue with my ECU that could be repaired this way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #14
DocArt
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Too bad there isn't a way to simply do away with all these intricate electronics once and for all !! Does anyone ever consider rewiring the harness to the ECU to completely bypass this part, altogether ? Would it work ?
I am seriously considering making the elctrical system as simplified as possible. Anyone done this yet for a 1988 YJ 4.2L with 5 Spd Man. Trans ? Had to ask...
DocArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 06:27 PM   #15
RIjon
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You can buy a stand-alone EFI system if you like. There are many.

Megasquirt would be one of the best...and the cheapest.

2008 Toyota Tundra RCSB Supercharged
1998 Cherokee Classic ..... work in progress
RIjon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.