how to remove soft top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > how to remove soft top

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-23-2002, 06:00 PM   #1
slenderjoe

how to remove soft top

Hi,
I just bought a 1995 Jeep Wrangler and it is really cute being it is already raised, big tires, and new rims. It is also a soft top which I did want but now do not know how to take off. I do not know how to take off the windows from the half doors either. Does anyone know off a website that could help me out or just post instructions.
Feel free to email me or just make fun of me. I know I am new to the jeep world.
Thanks
I also need help on how to remove the windows from the half doors.

Wieand intake
GM Turbo Hydra-Matic 350 Tranny
New Process 207 C2 Transfer Case
4" body lift; helper leafs in rear
38" tires
slenderjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2002, 08:59 PM   #2
MusicMaverick
2014 JK Wrangler 

Don't feel bad, it took me a while too when I first got mine last fall. It takes some time putting it down and back up. Once you get the hang of it you should be able to do it in 5 minutes or so. ok so here we go:

First the have doors:

1. Toward the front, there should be one snap, unsnap it, and grab either end from the bottom, pull it out and down to unhook the plastic strip from the rail.

2. once that is done, simply lift it off the half doors pulling it out of the three holes.

Now for the top:

1. Unzip and remove the side windows.
2. Unzip the rear window and your choice either unzip the horizontal zipper on top to remove the window, or just roll it up and use the 2 straps to hang it up.
3. There are two bars on each side that pivot right where the middle of the side window is, pull out the set pin and pull the bars hooked together down to relieve pressure.
4. Unsnap the snaps running along the top of where the door is.
5. Remember how the doors had that slider/rail system? Here it is again, along the rear corners, pull out the sliders.
6. By this time, the top should be loose enough to pull out the slider along the top of the windsheild.
7. Unhook the drip guards where the snaps were on both sides and let them fall downward.
8. Take the 4 bars that are still holding them up and push them as need be to adjust it so the top will come down. (Its hard to explain this one, but common sense should guide you through this part)
9. Then simply tuck the top in the back or remove it completely and your ready for some fun in the sun.

This is all assuming you have Factory OEM hardware. By the way, I'd like to warn you as being new to the Jeep community, we don't really use the word "cute" to discribe our Jeeps. They are rugged and manly

Past vehicles: '92 YJ, '97 TJ, '10 JK
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2002, 10:34 PM   #3
JeepBeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Mine's cute when I wash it. All blue and spunky.
But there is usually a layer of dirt and mud covering her. *shrug* To each his own.

'95 YJ 2.5L 3" Sus.
ProComp MT 33s"
JeepBeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2002, 10:49 AM   #4
Mike611

Jeep's are not cute,,, especially lifted ones!!! There lean, mean, trail-machines!!! Lol, good luck with your soft top.

One tip,, if you don't give a damn like some of us, and have your top down in 40 degree weather, be carefull when putting it back on. If it is too cold, the fabric will not stretch, and you will rip it!! ( I'm on my 3rd soft top in 2 years)_ )

Just thought I would pass this on to ya!
Mike
95, 2.5L, custom bumpers, Flow's, 4 inch Skyjacker Super Duty, 33x12.50 MT's, 15X10 AR 767's, Hi-lift, Funk in the Trunk( two 12 inch subs ), soon to be locked and have one of those pully things on the front.

If you are going to be a bear, be a grizzly...
Mike611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2002, 04:49 PM   #5
KobeStopper

Actually, I was the one who posted this message but somehow someone else's name appeared, I just didn't want this person to be ticked off.
I did take off the top quite easily, however the windows for the doors are a different story. I cannot pull out those three bars because I cannot take off those squared covers which go around the three bars.
Thanks
Unread 02-24-2002, 06:15 PM   #6
PuebloIV

I was just beginning to reply when I noticed your (actually your friend's) signature:

"1988 Jeep Wrangler YJ (conversion)
Chevy 350 V-8
Edelbrock 4 barrel carburator
Weiand intake
GM Turbo Hydra-Matic 350 Tranny
New Process 207 C2 Transfer Case
4" body lift; helper leafs in rear
38" tires"

I was wondering why THAT person needeed help with a top.
Unread 02-26-2002, 07:40 PM   #7
KobeStopper

-
Unread 04-05-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
RoboFrance29
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Resurrected!

I'm also in the same boat and I've found this thread to be the most helpful so far. My question is, is it vital to the process to unzip the rear window? Can I just follow the steps listed above and skip the rear window removal? Reason I ask is because the zipper along the passenger side of the rear window is stuck.
RoboFrance29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
AngryBassets

Been awhile for my putting down soft tops but I'd have to say, yeah, that would be a mess without rolling the rear window up or removing it.
AngryBassets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

One little tip for ya! Those cute little straps that hold your back window rolled up, will scratch the crap out of your back window! Roll the window up with any dust or dirt on it, it's just like sand paper. With the top up and rear window zipped in, don't let the straps dangle/ flop around or they will scratch/ cloud up the plastic and it can't be reversed! I just bought a new top and cut the straps off it. If your back window is already scratched up, forget what I just said and roll it, and wheel it!
rinking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:28 PM   #11
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Never seen a thread necro of this magnitude in my life!

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #12
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have a question to add to this.

How do you get the support bars off once the top is down. I have no way to secure it when its down so i was just going to take it off but havent figured that out yet.

Only time I've seen a "cute jeep" there was a girl in a bikini driving! O.O
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #13
newyj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

there should be little straps that wrap around your down soft top rails and they lock into the side window rails

[url]http://www.cityprofile.com[/url]

[url]http://www.pgh-offroad.com[/url]
newyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 05:48 AM   #14
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I seen that in a pic somewhere, but I only have one of those on mine Can those be ordered?
Unread 04-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #15
AngryBassets

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynmaker View Post
I seen that in a pic somewhere, but I only have one of those on mine Can those be ordered?
Just saw them yesterday on quadratec's site; they are $4.99 I think.
AngryBassets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.