How to remove ignition switch ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to remove ignition switch ??

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-03-2002, 07:42 PM   #1
hassenflegen

How to remove ignition switch ??

Hello,
I'm trying to replace my wife's '89 Sahara's ignition switch, as its sticking in the 'on' position and also requires no key to start. I can't figure out how to get at the thing. I assumed I should go at it from the top, but I could figure out how to get the steering wheel off. I removed the screws and the one nut in the center, but the thing doesn't want to come off...Am I missing something here? Am I going about it all wrong?

hassenflegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2002, 09:40 PM   #2
KPOM

Alright, I might not be of much help on this situation since I'm new to Jeeps, but I've been tearing mine apart to repaint my entire dash and had to remove the wheel to repaint the column. I used a regular socket wrench (don't remember the bit size) with an extention (to get over the odd formed wheel) and it would NOT move. I used some Gunk Liquid Wrench (by far the best on that market, IMO) and let it sit for 15 minutes. Still no luck. Three hours later at 2 in the morning in a garage that was 20 degrees (which also didn't help the situation) I was about to give up, when I thought of something. I went to Wal-Mart and got a metal pipe from plumbing.. it was wide enough to fit the end of my socket wrench into, and was about 2 feet long. I got home and put it on the end of the socket wrench and pulled like hell, and tada..it came off. The extra leverage is a miracle. (Wow, didn't mean to go into an entire story about that, sorry).

Also, at the risk of sounding like a moron, when I first got my Jeep I was extremely paranoid that it wouldn't lock after I took the key out, and could be started without one. Turns out all it was was some steering lock mechanisim-thingy. You push it down and pull the ignition towards you and it locks..I hit it on accident and found out that that was all it was, so, who knows..maybe you just missed it, it's worth a look before tearing off the wheel.

Also, if you can't get the wheel off, you can go to NAPA or some other auto store that sells steering wheels and get a removal/installation kit for around $20 and it makes removal much easier.

Damn. I'm sorry about my lengthy posts, folks. Hope this helps.
Unread 03-04-2002, 12:49 AM   #3
mde

I just replaced the ignition lock on my 89' YJ yesterday. The lock itself was about $10. It may seem like a pretty tedious task however it is doable. Very good explaination of how to in the Haynes auto repair manual. You need a steering wheel puller (somewhat like a gear puller) and a pusher tool. The wheel puller is self explanitory however beneath the steering wheel is a spring loaded lock plate held in place by a ring clip. In order to remove this plate the pusher tool applies enough pressure to remove the clip. Underneath the plate is the turn signal and hazard light switches mechanism. A few screws removed and you slowly pry the light mechanism out. Beneath that is the ignition lock. It is kept in by one holding screw and once that is loosened the ignition lock slides right out and the new one is put in. It's a very vague explantion but and auto repair manual should include this procedure. Hope this helps.
mde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2002, 02:15 PM   #4
hassenflegen

Thanks guys! I got it done finally.
My wife is much happier now. With the switch sticking, she had to let out the clutch with no gas to kill the engine.
hassenflegen is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.