how to remove bolts from from leaf springs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > how to remove bolts from from leaf springs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
jnljeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

how to remove bolts from from leaf springs

In the process of removing stock leaf springs from 92 YJ. Having a heck of a time removing the bolts holding the rear of the front leaf spring. Do I just knock it out or does it thread into place. I got the nut of back side just cant get the bolt out.

jnljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Its probably rust welded to the metal sleeve inside the bushing.

Probably easiest to just cut the bolt to get it out with a sawzall or angle grinder (I prefer the grinder with a cutoff wheel)

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
jnljeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you very much. Been fighting this thing for a couple of hours now.
jnljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnljeep View Post
Do I just knock it out or does it thread into place.
It's not threaded in there. Hit it harder, give it lots of heat. Heck, sometimes it's easier to burn out the bushing and go with new hardware.

If you are installing new springs, don't bother with the bolt. Cut the head off if it's preventing you from getting the spring off of the hanger. You are looking for 4.5" grade 8 bolts, 9/16" for the frame side and 1/2" for the shackle side. Home Depot sometimes only has 4" and 5", neither is ideal. Look for a Fastenal in your neck of the woods. Best store ever.
Unread 02-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
bmac13sv
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If the bushing is dry rotted, drill into the rubber part of the bushing all around the inner metal sleeve. this will free up the metal sleeve inside and let you get th bolt out (assuming its rusted to the inner metal sleeve of the bushing)
Jeep XJ. 3.5" Full spring pack Rusty's suspension. aFe cold air intake. 33x12.5x15" BFG TA KO's on Cragar Soft 8's. 60mm TB. JCR Offroad Stage 3 Front and Rear Bumpers. New 4.0L (victim of 0331 head). aFe cold air intake. Dynomax Catback.
BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/bmacs-2000-xj-build-1292498/
bmac13sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

cut off both ends of the bolt just inside the hanger, or close to the out side and spread it a little to get it out. The metal sleeve is rust welded to the bolt. use a right angle grinder. it will take forver with a hacksaw.

9/16 replacement
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
trucknut
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i used an impact gun to break the bolts free.. then hit it several times with a maul hammer on the backside of the bolt while still keeping it turning with the impact gun. Once the treads caught on the shackle the bolt backed right out... awkward but effective

My Save the YJ from the junkyard project...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-94-rebuild-thread-747404/

2001 Toyota Tundra TRD
trucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
kvncot
1981 CJ7 

The only luck I had removing the bolt was to drill out the rubber bushing. I found that the bolt was rust welded to the sleeve and the sleeve was rusty and expanded in the bushing making it impossible to get out with just a hammer. Drill all around the bushing and load it up with penetrating oil and it should come out with a hammer. You will definitely want to replace all of the hardware. Good Luck!
Unread 02-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
GEARHED
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Need to keep track of this, I'm going to be doing the same myself and figured on cutting off the bolt heads but had no idea how tough they could be to get out (a maul? seriously?). Will probably drill out the bushing first and try it from there.
Unread 02-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #10
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
Its probably rust welded to the metal sleeve inside the bushing.

Probably easiest to just cut the bolt to get it out with a sawzall or angle grinder (I prefer the grinder with a cutoff wheel)
Agreed.
I've wasted way to may hours hammering and screwing around trying to get them out in the past.
Now if they don't come out after a few minutes I cut them off, remove the spring and drive the rust welded mess out of the bushing.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
trucknut
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEARHED View Post
Need to keep track of this, I'm going to be doing the same myself and figured on cutting off the bolt heads but had no idea how tough they could be to get out (a maul? seriously?). Will probably drill out the bushing first and try it from there.
i was 5 minutes tops on each bolt... and the bolts where all good to use again

My Save the YJ from the junkyard project...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747404

2001 Toyota Tundra TRD
trucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #12
jeepinvader
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had the exact same problem. I used a cut-off wheel on a 4.5 inch angle grinder to fit between the spring and the hanger, then it fell right out.
Unread 02-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #13
McFatter
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i just lifted my jeep friday and had this problem on one of them. i used a c-clamp type pusher that one one end was big enough for the head of the bold to push through. about 30 seconds with an impact gun and it was out
McFatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #14
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I had to drill the bushings on ALL of mine to get them out. Tractor Supply is also a good place to buy grade 8 CHEAP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
Mean Max created Chuck Norris with some spare parts, two trac bars and some differential fluid.
jeepguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #15
caver351
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I had that problem on my 88. Spun it with an impact, and pried on it with a crowbar at the same time...finally came out.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.