How to put in an external voltage regulator? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to put in an external voltage regulator?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 02-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #16
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When I swapped my motors I needed to get an external regulator so the alternator would recharge the battery like my 90 motor did. I believe I used a Ford external regulator. I can get the part number if needed along with how i hooked it up.

Schaef81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #17
spyder98
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvango View Post
I just did this to my 1995 wrangler problem was low voltage on volt meter my alternator, battery and grounds all checked out. I did not what to spent 250 for a rebuild ecu or 500 new at the dealers.So I got a voltage reg from advanced auto for a 1980 dodge ram 360 5.8L witch was a 100amp regulator.I figured since my alternator was a 90amp and the two maxi fuses were two 50a it all checked out $21 .It looks just like the one used by Ininkus and what i did was hook up the split wire that goes to the ing to the 40amp ing fuse in the fuse box next to the battery and mounted the reg just behind the battery on the firewall.And as for the original field connectors i just tapedthem up undid the grounds and flipped it 180*. Because of this post i am know back on the road and loveing the jeep again .Only thing know is the engine light is on not a bad thing it's been on since i bought the jeepI'm use to nothing a little length off black electrical tape can't fix .My hat is off to you all ,thank you very much ,all smiles for now VinVanGo
Is there a way to have an external regulator with out the check engine light on?
spyder98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #18
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No. The ecu checks the signal.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #19
spyder98
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
No. The ecu checks the signal.
That's not an option then.
spyder98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #20
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys sorry to dig up such an old thread, but has anyone tried this kit?

http://alternatorparts.com/external-...nator-kit.html

Looks like it may be a solution to the CEL issue
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #21
slewofaces1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ininkus View Post
I just had to do this to mine. I'm not so great at long descriptions of how to do it, but I made this little diagram. Hope it helps. Mine works great, a steady 14.4 volts.

Like the diagram shows, I left the black mounting block on the back of the Alternator, but bent the tabs and taped them. Oh make certain to mount the voltage regulator so that the case is grounded really well. I did mine on the firewall, grind the paint down.

I'm short for time, sorry to be brief - PM me any questions.
So I tried wiring in the external voltage regulator but it isn't working. I applied ignition power to the 12 o'clock terminal on the voltage regulator and somehow that power is jumping inside the alternator and crossing to the other field wire that plugs into the 3 o'clock pin on the voltage regulator. Is that normal? Should I have matching voltage on both terminals that plug into the regulator? If not, how do I fix that?
slewofaces1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #22
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Why are you wiring the external regulator?
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #23
slewofaces1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I took out the jeep engine and wiring harness and installed a 1.9L TDi engine. Since the voltage regulator went with the Jeep ECU, I had to create something. I found the issue as to why it wasn't working. The alternator wasn't fully grounded so it was putting out to much power. This burnt a fuse I had installed and killed power on the main charge line running to the battery. This in turn prevented the alternator from working. I grounded the alternator straight to the battery and installed a heavier gauge positive wire from the alternator to the positive terminal on the battery. Fixed everything.
slewofaces1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #24
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewofaces1 View Post
I took out the jeep engine and wiring harness and installed a 1.9L TDi engine. Since the voltage regulator went with the Jeep ECU, I had to create something. I found the issue as to why it wasn't working. The alternator wasn't fully grounded so it was putting out to much power. This burnt a fuse I had installed and killed power on the main charge line running to the battery. This in turn prevented the alternator from working. I grounded the alternator straight to the battery and installed a heavier gauge positive wire from the alternator to the positive terminal on the battery. Fixed everything.
It is a good thing to put a fuse on that wire from the positive battery terminal to the alternator batt+ terminal. An ANL fuse like these is cheap and may save you from a fire burning down your jeep.

http://www.donrowe.com/category-s/1855.htm
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #25
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Why wouldnt you just swap in an internally regulated alternator. The CS 144 would give you more power and no wiring issues. It can be 1 wired to work.
Unread 06-09-2014, 08:05 PM   #26
95fourpointO

Ok so I installed this exact Dodge regulator and it was an easy enough install. The hardest part was finding a switched 12V under the hood. I finally took the power box in front of the battery off and turned it upside down to easily find the switched power going to the fuel pump relay. I installed the switched 12V to the center post on the regulator then to the alternator tab closest to the alternators constant 12V input, and connected the other regulator connection to the other tab on the alternator and grounded the regulator to the alternator with a wire, and ground the paint off the fender well for a "no doubt about it" ground. It worked and it did not work. I started her up and got nothing on the voltage gauge but the normal 12V so I gave it a little gas and the gauge went to 14; however the gauge was bouncing a little and when I gave it more gas it bounce more and more. When I turned on the lights, they were dimming with the bouncing gauge. I went through a full load test, I turned on the radio and the wipers and the heater and the gauge still read 14 but was bouncing. Now when I gave it a little more gas the gauge then decided to drop down to 12 or so volts, then I got off the gas the gauge went back to 14. Eventually while doing the "apply gas" test the gauge finally went to 12v and stayed there. So I assume the regulator died. These symptoms are very similar to the problem I had with the Jeep that led me to needing to investigate. The alternator had apparently been failing to charge the battery and I was never one to watch the voltage gauge. I eventually discovered the problem and began to monitor the gauge. I would notice the gauge reading charging for a little while, it varied from 20 highway miles to 5 city miles, then it would stop charging. Then all of a sudden it would never charge. So here I am now with I assume a fried external voltage regulator and a fried voltage regulator in the ECM/PCM call what you will. The question is what is causing this? I strongly believe there is short some where under the dash, but can a short cause the voltage regulator to go bad? I need some direction on where to go now, anyone? Thanks
95fourpointO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #27
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

On one note. You have a vehicle set up for an internally regulated voltage system. The computer for the multiport fuel injection is externally regulated. Have you gone to the multi port? If not you are using the wrong setup. As I said you need an internally regulated alternator. The
cs 144 is a good mod.
Unread 06-09-2014, 11:12 PM   #28
95fourpointO

Que I wish I understood what you are talking about but I do not. I am talking about basic electric current and voltages; a vehicle does not have to be a computer, especially the very basic system of electrical connections which is the battery alternator system. Are you saying I used the wrong source for my switched 12V on the fuel pump relay, or what is your reference to the "multi port"? Please bare with me and explain what all this means with the "You have a vehicle set up for an internally regulated voltage system. The computer for the multiport fuel injection is externally regulated. Have you gone to the multi port?"
95fourpointO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2014, 01:48 AM   #29
88_olympic

If you are not mpfi, you need the alternator with the internal voltage regulator,pretty simple. Listen to Que, his word is literally golden.
88_olympic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2014, 03:57 AM   #30
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Multi port is multiple injectors. If you have a 91/95 they are all multiport and have a computer that regulates voltage. If you have a single injector or no injector your alternator regulator is internal to the alternator and doesn't need any thing else. I think You are using the wrong alternator set-up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.