How to Paint My Wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to Paint My Wrangler

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 04-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
bpete123
1992 YJ Wrangler 

How to Paint My Wrangler

I am thinking of painting my Wrangler myself. Something easy and Cheap. I will take it apart and paint it all individually.I am thinking of Rhino lining the Hood tailgate and maybe the sides and painting the rest Orange. Any tips on what kind of paint i should use? Also is the rhino liner a bad idea i have heard that is stains too easily

bpete123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm still in the middle of doing mine, but what I did was to use a black roll on bedliner on the interior, and a black spray on bedliner on the entire exterior of the Jeep.

Then rolled over the bodies exterior and the bolt in cage pieces, with a white colored primer, followed by a safety orange Rustoleum topcoat...I figure it will be fairly easy to touch up if needed.

My frame, rockerguards, and bumpers will stay black.

in progress pics:

here you can see the white primer on the interior side of the windshield frame (leaning up against the wall)
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
kostyanj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm about to do mine. I'm going to the $50 paint job. Just google it. Rustoleum rolled and brushed on. Just lots and lots of prep work from what I've read.
kostyanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
YJacob

1988 YJ Wrangler 

monstaline the entire thing! they have some sweet colors now
YJacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostyanj View Post
I'm about to do mine. I'm going to the $50 paint job. Just google it. Rustoleum rolled and brushed on. Just lots and lots of prep work from what I've read.
**** that, did that once not doing it again.

Buy one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-volume-low-pressure-spray-gun-kit-44677.html

And do it perfectly the first time. Can't remember the last time I hit the Jeep with a spray can or roller after I got this sprayer, much easier and better than the roller bull**** NEVER AGAIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #6
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

^^^^ thanks for the link, looks like a cool setup for those of us without a compressor.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
kostyanj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
**** that, did that once not doing it again.

Buy one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-volume-low-pressure-spray-gun-kit-44677.html

And do it perfectly the first time. Can't remember the last time I hit the Jeep with a spray can or roller after I got this sprayer, much easier and better than the roller bull**** NEVER AGAIN
What paint did you use?
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostyanj View Post
What paint did you use?
Regular rustoliem, when I rolled and when I sprayed. Rolled turned out okay looking don't get me wrong but the coverage with rollers is AWFUL, and I was going from dark red to light red! Took me 5 freaking coats until the old red was gone. thinned, unthinned it went on like crap.

Also, I didn't buy that machine because it was cheap I bought it because of the reviews. And believe me it WORKS.

A bumper I recently sprayed in rusto black. About 25% acetone give or take with the outside temp works best.

Quote:
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
kostyanj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You're the first one I've heard use acetone. Mostly everyone recommends using 50/50 mineral spirits with rustoleum.
Unread 04-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I've used mineral and found it runs easier than acetone when doing fine coats, minerals also take longer to dry. I think its personal preference when doing rusto. You can also use less acetone when thinning than mineral which equals more paint on the Jeep.

With auto paint its a different story, but who uses that stuff??
Quote:
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
bpete123
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki4 View Post
monstaline the entire thing! they have some sweet colors now
I am lining the inside and some of the outside. Like the hood tailgate and maybe the grille. My friend that i bought my wrangler from has a bunch of liner but only in black
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #12
bpete123
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
I'm still in the middle of doing mine, but what I did was to use a black roll on bedliner on the interior, and a black spray on bedliner on the entire exterior of the Jeep.

Then rolled over the bodies exterior and the bolt in cage pieces, with a white colored primer, followed by a safety orange Rustoleum topcoat...I figure it will be fairly easy to touch up if needed.

My frame, rockerguards, and bumpers will stay black.

in progress pics:

here you can see the white primer on the interior side of the windshield frame (leaning up against the wall)
Wait so you used roll on bedliner on the exterior and then primed it then finished with a topcoat? Wouldnt it be really hard to paint over bedliner?
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
bpete123
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpete123 View Post
Wait so you used roll on bedliner on the exterior and then primed it then finished with a topcoat? Wouldnt it be really hard to paint over bedliner?
Also thank you for the photos....I think that safety orange is exactly the color i was looking for
Unread 05-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
Wrangler11
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you have an air compressor you can pick up a paint gun fairly cheap. Painting isn't hard. The hardest part is taping everything off.

Previous Jeeps
2002 TJ, 1995 YJ, 2 1994 YJ, 1978 CJ7, 1970 CJ1, 2008 Grand Cherokee, 1997 Grand Cherokee, 1994 Cherokee, 1988 Comanchee
Wrangler11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #15
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

here it what it looks like with quality prep and paint... AND yes u have to look close.

Tags
jeep , paint , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.