How often do you change your fluids????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How often do you change your fluids?????

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 11-14-2001, 06:03 PM   #1
4-low

How often do you change your fluids?????

I was just curious as I just crawled out from under my jeep draining the tranny and the oil was the color of mud, how bad the rest of my fluid's looked, and if that was the case,
I was curious how often you guys change your fluids <t-case, tranny, diffs, brake/clutch fluid>?

4-low is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2001, 07:13 PM   #2
Big92Jeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

I get pretty carried away with changing fluids. I really do believe it's the absolute best thing you can do for long vehicle life. Here's what I do.

Engine Oil- Mobil 1 Synthetic 6,000 miles
Tranny- 80-90 Synthetic 12,000 miles
Transfer- ATF every 12,000 miles
Coolant- flush and change 12,000 miles
Rear Diff- 80-90 Synthetic 12,000 miles
Front Diff- 89-90 Synthetic depends on how much 4X4 I do

I normaly drop around $70-$80 at the parts store and do everything (other than engine) on the same day. Usually in the spring. I have been told I am wasting $$$ but I am at 115k and still running strong

~Rick
Unread 11-14-2001, 10:33 PM   #3
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Engine oil: Mobile 1 every 5K miles
Tranny/Tcase: Annually
Diffs: Sure seems there's always been a reason to go into them things. I'd bet they got changed a quite a bit with my old axles. Now, annually unless I go into deep water. If I do a water crossing, they get changed when I return and I repack the bearings. You can't service bearings on stock axles on a YJ so skip that one.
Radiator: Annually
Power Steering: I've only changed it once recently. But it'll be annually after what I discovered.
Brake Fluid: Seems it just gets changed with all the mods regularly enough. I hate brakelines by the way.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2001, 07:36 AM   #4
glm 87 wrangler

Well see people very in change of fluids,glad to see you guys think it is important,because
it IS! VERY IMPORTANT! For extreme drivers like some of you your changes are on target.But for those who do a little off roading time to time hear what i recommend.
Oil change 3,000 to 5,000 depends on the type
of oil.Synthetic gets longer life then mineral oils.differential front and rear ever
30,000 Auto tranny and manual and transfer case every 30,000.Check often to see what it looks like though,if the color starts change
then change it.Brake fluid i change every 2 years,get a self bleeder and start bleeding away.You can pick up a cheap one for around
$5.00 bucks.Change my radiator fluid 60/40
every 2 years 60% antifreeze 40% water.I know they say 50 50 but works beter for me at 60 40.Try it you be the judge!Power steering fluid every 2 years,Pain in the *** though I use a turky baster to draw the fluid out, does not get it all out but replenishes it any way
Grease all my grease points every time i think about it, usally every other oil change
be careful not to bust the seals..a little squirt well do ya.Well this is what i do.Hope it helps!! Gary
Unread 11-18-2001, 08:52 AM   #5
Newfie

Engine oil
- every 6000 Kms (or less if I've been wheeling a lot, flushed every Sept)
X-fer case
- Anually (gets checked after runs with lots of bog/water crossings)
Diffs
- Anually (gets checked after runs with lots of bog/water crossings)
Brake
- Check it monthly (haven't had to change it yet)
Power steering
- Check it monthly (haven't had to change it yet)
Coolant
- Flush and fill every Sept and May

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.