How much yoke inside tail housing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How much yoke inside tail housing?

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

How much yoke inside tail housing?

Having dropped a drive shaft on a previous rig, I'm eternally leery of losing another, especially on the trail. So tonight I marked my rear drive shaft and did some measuring. I have 1.5" of the yoke expose and 2.75" inside the tail housing. Does this sound right? Does it sound safe? Should I have any concern about dropping my rear drive shaft on the trail?

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Depends on how much wheeling you expect to do. The more flex you have, the more travel the shaft will express.
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:05 AM   #3
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Depends on how much wheeling you expect to do. The more flex you have, the more travel the shaft will express.
Maybe I need to rephrase the question:

For those who are not running an SYE kit, how much of your drive shaft is exposed from the tail housing and how much is still stuffed up inside there at rest? I'm trying to gauge mine. I believe I should be just fine with 1.5" exposed and 2.75" inside the housing, but I have no real way to test it other than on the trails.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:17 AM   #4
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

How much further in will it go? guess if you unbolted it at the rear end and them push it in all the way would give you that info. might be it will only go in another inch? as far as your question, everyone will have a different amount depending on various lifts they have. think what you have is fine, IMO.
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.