How much to paint a Jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How much to paint a Jeep?

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 04-29-2004, 07:35 PM   #1
JMark
1988 YJ Wrangler 

How much to paint a Jeep?

I got an estimate today, and I'm wondering what others have paid. This is an 88 YJ. It's white, there is no rust, no dents (a few dings). Hardtop to come off for the paint job, as well as full doors. Windshield frame needs a little work, but not much. Repaint white, including inside hood (but not engine compartment), and door jambs.

Anyone care to share their thoughts/experiences?

Thanks

Mark

JMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2004, 07:47 PM   #2
jimmysjeepn
2007 MK Patriot 

How much was the estimate and where from? (just wondering for future referecences)
Unread 04-29-2004, 08:00 PM   #3
BuffaloYJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...ghlight=scheib
BuffaloYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2004, 09:12 PM   #4
CURT95

i have painted one of my jeeps a 48 CJ. that was complet every thing, I did it all my self, and it cost me around $500 for every thing(exept the spray gun and compressot). It wasn't all that bad and the paint job looks good, I mean there are a few runs in it on the clear coat, but you really cant even notice them unless your looking for them. i would say if you can do it your self.
Curt
1970 Jeepster Comando
1976 CJ7
1994 XJ
1995 YJ
CURT95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2004, 06:57 AM   #5
CuzzinOlaf

$950 at Maaco with a little body work, brand new hood, rust fixed around the windshield. It was there second to best paintjob, urethane something. Make sure it is one that you can buff. Some are handwax only and if you get a deep scratch or blemish you won't be able to buff it out.
[COLOR=navy]Blue Jeep Club Member #27[/COLOR][/B]

[URL=http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/3/web/459000-459999/459189_5_full.jpg]MIGHT BE FS in NJ: 91 YJ 4.0 L w/5 Spd w/31x12.5 XTerrains on Canyons w/ 6" BW Flares [/URL]
[URL=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/459000-459999/459189_21_full.jpg]YJ and WJ (before totalled) [/URL]

[B]Huge mud holes are like hot chicks with an STD. You want to hit them hard and fast but you’re afraid of the consequences[/B]
CuzzinOlaf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2004, 07:25 AM   #6
JMark
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysjeepn
How much was the estimate and where from? (just wondering for future referecences)

I was quoted a price of $3981. I politely thanked the guy for his time in looking at it. There's a Maaco nearby, I think I'll go there. Thanks, guys.
Unread 04-30-2004, 07:42 AM   #7
CuzzinOlaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMark
I was quoted a price of $3981. I politely thanked the guy for his time in looking at it. There's a Maaco nearby, I think I'll go there. Thanks, guys.
If you plan on wheeling your Jeep that is nuts. My first time out I had a nice scratch. Shrugged it off and kept going.
[COLOR=navy]Blue Jeep Club Member #27[/COLOR][/B]

[URL=http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/3/web/459000-459999/459189_5_full.jpg]MIGHT BE FS in NJ: 91 YJ 4.0 L w/5 Spd w/31x12.5 XTerrains on Canyons w/ 6" BW Flares [/URL]
[URL=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/459000-459999/459189_21_full.jpg]YJ and WJ (before totalled) [/URL]

[B]Huge mud holes are like hot chicks with an STD. You want to hit them hard and fast but you’re afraid of the consequences[/B]
CuzzinOlaf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2004, 08:18 AM   #8
tube yj
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMark
thats crazy, that is more than blue book value on an 88 YJ.

I did mine for 40.00 in spray paint
tube yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2004, 08:35 AM   #9
BombThreat

Im getting ready to have mine repainted. The guys is only charging $150 for labor (spaying it) and im buying the basecoat/clearcoat. Take a look at Matrix Auto Paints. They make nice stuff and are way cheaper then PPG or DuPont. www.matrixsystem.com

edit: forgot to mention that im getting a combo kit from http://www.autobodysupply.net/Matrix/Matrix.htm

with 1gallon of basecoat, 1 gallon of clear, and 1 quart of hardener for $229 and thats red metallic paint.
Unread 04-30-2004, 08:44 AM   #10
Bigbluejeep

You get what you pay when it comes to paint. You want something that is going to shine and hold up well to scratches. Easy to paint for the first time do it yourselfer, I used Sickens on my 510 and it came out smooth, was durable. Could be buffed, and for a non base clear, it shined like nothing else. My buddy on the other hand went with a cheap brand and that stuff ran like crazy, looked dull, as far as durability we repainted it less then a year later with something else.
Welded Tow Hooks Front & Rear
Soft Top (hard top got lost in a rollover)
KC Daylighters
55 watt running lights mounted in Frame for Night Rockin
33/12.50/15 Buckshot Mudders
Rear Lock-rite (best mod ever!)
Detroit Front Locker
Flowmaster
2" BL
[SIZE=5][URL=http://www.bigbluejeep.com]www.BigBlueJeep.com[/URL][/SIZE]
Bigbluejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2004, 02:24 PM   #11
BeatAChevy289

Maaco is crap, like seriously. I don't care what I'm driving, Maaco will NEVER paint it again. I have a 66' Mustang they painted for me three years ago for $960 and it is the worst job ever. It won't wax right, meaning that it scratches really easily and it also dulled really quick. It got backed into alomost a year after I got it painted and the paint just FELL OFF on the fender where it got hit. I don't mean chipped, it FELL OFF. The whole area showed brown primer instead of paint. I put a sticker on the side of it and pulled it off a few minutes later cuz it looked funny and the paint came off again! Primer brown in the shape of the sticker! When you apply for a job a a dealer body shop, the first thing they ask you is if you ever worked for Maaco and if so, they WILL NOT hire you. Proven fact from a friend of mine, the head painter of Nalley Collision (only dealership in the southeast allowed to work on Jaguars without getting sued by the Ford Motor Co.) that should tell you something. I'd say that you would save yourself a headache if you can save up some more money and get a better paint job. I've still got flakes popping off my Mustang. I'm repainting it this summer cuz it already looks disgusting. Later <><
1966 Ford Mustang, Hi-Po 289 V8, 4:11's, I dare you to race me.
<><
[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/id/blackyj95]Cardomain Site[/URL] (different from the other link)
BeatAChevy289 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2004, 04:37 PM   #12
ol'abner

Spray Bombs

Spray Bombs are definitely the way to go. I just finished mine. My paint job, 3 coats of Krylon Chalkboard Green and 4 coats of Wal-Mart brand spray on bed liner, cost 80 bucks, including the cost of sand paper, POR-15, and lacquer thinner . Once you get the masking done (PITA level: Moderate), the rest is pretty stinking fun. Anyway, it turned out great, it's tough as nails, and I'm terribly happy with it. PM me if you decide to go this route and need any pointers. Best of luck.
ol'abner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2004, 04:57 PM   #13
DeezUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAChevy289
Maaco is crap, like seriously. I don't care what I'm driving, Maaco will NEVER paint it again.......
I wouldn't have a classic or exotic painted there , but to say Maaco is crap ?? The cost of paint alone is more than you will pay to have Maaco spray your Jeep . Mine was $700 in Urathane single stage and it looks hella nice ! I even had 2 dents removed and rust around the windshield taken care of . I wouldn't say go for the cheapest paint they have or you probably WILL end up with chipping paint , but with 4 years warranty ... Im not too worried about it ! If the paint shines for 4 years and I have to take it back then I will say it has done it's job .

Just keep 1 thing in mind ..... IT'S A JEEP ! It isn't a Porsche or a BMW . It's gonna get scrathed eventually ! That's the law of the west . Best bet for a Jeep .... either paint it yourself OR do the Maaco or Schieb thing .

Here's my Maaco job ( and yes , they did overspray onto the shocks and the radiator and a bit on the frame .... BUT IT WAS ONLY $700 !! )

and then with the flames .....
Unread 04-30-2004, 08:12 PM   #14
JMark
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the responses, folks. Good information, and some nice pics. As it turns out, I struck a deal with another local shop, and got a MUCH better (not finalized, due to some outstanding questions). I'll post some pics later, when it's all done.
Unread 05-01-2004, 11:14 AM   #15
MuddyV8YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tube yj
thats crazy, that is more than blue book value on an 88 YJ.

I did mine for 40.00 in spray paint

Same here. I repainted from "school bus yellow" to white with spray cans. best decision I ever made. Something like $50 initially and then if I get a serious scratch or something its 2 minutes to wash, scuff up a bit, and paint again. I go through a lot of brush and branches so they hit and drag across the front fenderwells. I must say it has held up extremely well. If you do go this way use a universal color so you don't have to worrya bout getting 20 extra cans for touch up. also pick up one of the can-gun things, saves you hands.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.