how much lift from xj springs on a yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > how much lift from xj springs on a yj

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 09-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #1
ack92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

how much lift from xj springs on a yj

Hey I have a 92 yj that I recently did an soa conversion on this spring during my Chrysler 9.25 swap and at first I loved it! The ride was nice, flexed really well and looked bad *** being the biggest jeep on the road but after a few months iv realized that it's just too tall for the kind of wheeling we do out here (mostly high speed dirt roads, some mud and the beach). So I want to drop it and stretch it and here's how I'm gona do it, keep the 37's, metalcloaks over line front fenders, metal cloaks 4" stetch rear corner guards and xj springs SUA on all 4 corners. Now Here is my question for you guys, I want my jeep to sit in between 2" and 3.5" of lift from stock, dose any body know what lift size xj springs I should get? Either stock, stock with an add a leaf, of 3.5" lift springs? Iv heard stock springs give you 2" of lift but never seen it confirmed so if any one has any info please let me know!
Much appreciated

ack92yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack92yj
Hey I have a 92 yj that I recently did an soa conversion on this spring during my Chrysler 9.25 swap and at first I loved it! The ride was nice, flexed really well and looked bad *** being the biggest jeep on the road but after a few months iv realized that it's just too tall for the kind of wheeling we do out here (mostly high speed dirt roads, some mud and the beach). So I want to drop it and stretch it and here's how I'm gona do it, keep the 37's, metalcloaks over line front fenders, metal cloaks 4" stetch rear corner guards and xj springs SUA on all 4 corners. Now Here is my question for you guys, I want my jeep to sit in between 2" and 3.5" of lift from stock, dose any body know what lift size xj springs I should get? Either stock, stock with an add a leaf, of 3.5" lift springs? Iv heard stock springs give you 2" of lift but never seen it confirmed so if any one has any info please let me know! Much appreciated
Your issue is XJ's were designed soa. For what you want you'll be better off with MJ springs since they are sua
Unread 09-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
ack92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Couldn't I just flip the center pin? Are the xj springs and the me springs similar in length?
Unread 09-07-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Mj springs Are a little longer bit i can't remember by how much.
Unread 09-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #5
ack92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I just found somthing saying they were 57 inches long about 5.5" longer then xj springs so might be a little long.
Unread 09-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
WOKNROX
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack92yj View Post
Yeah I just found somthing saying they were 57 inches long about 5.5" longer then xj springs so might be a little long.
I think that you might of mistaken who ever you heard this spring mod from as an Xj when they were actually say Wagoneer. The Waggy front springs will give you 2 " of stretch at both end for a total of 4 inches if you use them on the front and back of your Yj. They will also give you 2" to 4" of lift depending on the spring packs you get. The 2" lift pack has 4 leafs and the 4" lift pack has 7 leafs in the pack. Both are 2" longer then the stock Yj springs.
I hope this helps bud
SteveO!
Unread 09-07-2014, 08:34 PM   #7
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX
I think that you might of mistaken who ever you heard this spring mod from as an Xj when they were actually say Wagoneer. The Waggy front springs will give you 2 " of stretch at both end for a total of 4 inches if you use them on the front and back of your Yj. They will also give you 2" to 4" of lift depending on the spring packs you get. The 2" lift pack has 4 leafs and the 4" lift pack has 7 leafs in the pack. Both are 2" longer then the stock Yj springs. I hope this helps bud SteveO!
The XJ rear springs ( not a waggy ) will give 6" stretch with the genright rear crossmember If you use an astro steering box and make a custom shackle mounts up front with custom shackles it'll net 6" up front also. For a total of 12" stretch.
Unread 09-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #8
ack92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yes exactly I'm going for the 12" of stretch using the xj springs, I do know that the waggy springs give you 2-4" of stretch but I haven't read anything definativly on stock xj spring lift height so thars what I'm trying to figure out, I'm thinking I might try a three inch lift leaf pack and remove a leaf and see how that is but idk
Unread 09-07-2014, 08:58 PM   #9
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You do realize that you are going to have to do something with your gas tank too. Right?
Unread 09-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #10
WOKNROX
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
The XJ rear springs ( not a waggy ) will give 6" stretch with the genright rear crossmember If you use an astro steering box and make a custom shackle mounts up front with custom shackles it'll net 6" up front also. For a total of 12" stretch.
Oh hey right on bud...but if he's looking for that much stretch and is willing to mod the tank and Steering box...then I'd go with Toyota rear leaf springs. ..they'll yeld 5" of stretch =10 inches at both ends and will mount in shock location/s. If you want lift then buy lift springs. These springs are stout. Another thing to remember about the Astro box it puts the pitman arm out the front so it will stick out and hang low...so grab one from the Waggy arm because it's flat and will ride tighter to the frame. ..just something to think about.
Unread 09-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #11
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX
Oh hey right on bud...but if he's looking for that much stretch and is willing to mod the tank and Steering box...then I'd go with Toyota rear leaf springs. ..they'll yeld 5" of stretch =10 inches at both ends and will mount in shock location/s. If you want lift then buy lift springs. These springs are stout. Another thing to remember about the Astro box it puts the pitman arm out the front so it will stick out and hang low...so grab one from the Waggy arm because it's flat and will ride tighter to the frame. ..just something to think about.
I forgot about the waggy arm IMO if op is going for a 12" stretch he's better off going full width on tons soa and 40-42" tires. Cause sua the break over will be worse then a JKU
Unread 09-07-2014, 11:24 PM   #12
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

To answer your question about lift height it all depends on where you mount your shackles and where you mount the stationary side. There is really no specific lift for xj springs but most do claim 2" with stock springs. I researched it a lot before I decided to go with waggy springs, I didnt want to do a fuel cell and a few other things.
Unread 09-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #13
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Getting down to 2-3.5" over stock is gonna be really hard being spring over. Check out Sparrows' thread, he frenched in some Ruffstuff hangers to try to keep it as low as possible being SOA. I don't know what his final height ended up at. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/warbird-2-a-2242713/

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #14
ack92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
Yeah ik about the steering and the tank gona run an astro box and a modified tank. What toyota springs are you talking about maybe I'll look into those? And yes going one tons and 40-42's would be sweet but that can't happen right now, plus I don't do any crazy rock crawling or really any at all so I don't need to be that tall. I just want it low and stable for high speed corners and stuff.
Unread 09-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #15
ack92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks skyj that's what is was figuring and I'll check that build out randonexplosion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.