How much lift can I get from stock replacement leafs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How much lift can I get from stock replacement leafs

Spartan Locker's at all time LOW exclusive from ROCKRIDGE FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 02-03-2015, 04:52 AM   #1
WannaYJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

How much lift can I get from stock replacement leafs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 94 YJ with 134,000.It has the stock springs.It's running 30 by 9.5 by 15 tires.I'd like to upgrade to 31 by 10.5 by 15 tires. I was curious if I replaced the worn springs with factory replacements, would that give me the needed lift for running the 31's? Or should I just put on a 2- 2.5 lift kit and be done?

WannaYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2015, 06:08 AM   #2
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have a set of 31-10.50s I haven't tried yet but I think you'll be fine on the springs you've got right now... And while I am not an advocate of body lifts, I've read enough anticanman comments about the benefits of 1" body lift that I think if you need a little the 1" body lift is a super low cost solution.
Unread 02-03-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

We have no way of knowing how bad your stock springs are sagging. You can find out by going to the FAQ stock specifications and measuring the height of you rocker panels then subtracting the additional height of the 30" tires you are using and comparing that to stock rocker height which I believe is 18"

Here is a chart that can help determine what is possible. Keep in mind stuffing the fenders with oversize rubber without lift will cause the tires to rub on anything except a JC Penney parking lot. Which is ok if that's all you plan on doing.
I don't dig the overstuffed wheelwell look, all show and no go.

Unread 02-03-2015, 04:11 PM   #4
csmit328
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here is what mine looks like on 31x10.50s and stock (as far as i know original) suspension. PO put those wheels on and they rubbed the flat flares at full lock until i trimmed a bit with the dremel. For the difference in price you may ad well lift it though. I cant wait to get mine lifted.
image-2885991441.jpg

csmit328 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #5
Polonius
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My backspacing pushes my 31x10.50r15s out past the fender. I've got a 3" body lift, so clearance has never been an issue, so I can't tell you for sure.

But as far as lifting a bit using stock springs, you can definitely get a moderate boost. For reference, my springs were basically perfectly straight when I took them off. I bought rear 6 leaf springs (18202.22) for the back and gained 3 inches. I bought rear 5 leaf springs (18201.23) for the front and gained about 1.5 inches. I'm quite happy with the combo and could easily put in 33s without rubbing.
Polonius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2015, 05:30 AM   #6
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

As reference, here's mine with 31x10.5's, stock suspension and 1" body lift. No rubbing unless you do very tight turns.
p8120003.jpg  
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.