How much to lengthen a driveshaft? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How much to lengthen a driveshaft?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 06-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
ccbruin
2002 TJ Wrangler 

How much to lengthen a driveshaft?

Title says it all..

ccbruin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
alecmcmahon

For what?
Unread 06-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbruin View Post
Title says it all..
Somehow I'm thinking it doesn't.

But I'll take a shot here... I say lengthen it 10" and see what happens.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
srdart67
2002 WJ 

it varies depending on the shop on how much they charge shop around. I got one done a year ago for $65 but I am friends with the guy.
Unread 06-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
ccbruin
2002 TJ Wrangler 

o sorry guys i meant how much money! my bad. Trying to weight the difference in cost of just lengthening it and keeping the t-case drop or getting a SYE/CV and getting rid of the drop. Money is major problem...

Unread 06-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I believe that entire driveshaft setup needs to be retired. You need a SYE and a cv driveshaft at this point. Are you planning an 8.8 swap in the future? If not, you just wasted time welding the perches on the 35 because you're not even close to where you need to be with your pinion angle. I don't mean to sound harsh, but SOA is dependent on having the funds to do it correctly. Now, unhook that beast and find yourself a SYE kit to ensure you don't lose all your ATF and drive it on the front axle while you save up to cut down a Cherokee shaft for what I hope is your 8.8 swap in the near future.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
ccbruin
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I believe that entire driveshaft setup needs to be retired. You need a SYE and a cv driveshaft at this point. Are you planning an 8.8 swap in the future? If not, you just wasted time welding the perches on the 35 because you're not even close to where you need to be with your pinion angle. I don't mean to sound harsh, but SOA is dependent on having the funds to do it correctly. Now, unhook that beast and find yourself a SYE kit to ensure you don't lose all your ATF and drive it on the front axle while you save up to cut down a Cherokee shaft for what I hope is your 8.8 swap in the near future.
It is a super 35 btw, but I do plan on going dana 60s in the future
Unread 06-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbruin View Post
It is a super 35 btw, but I do plan on going dana 60s in the future
I wasn't as concerned with the strength of the axle or size of tire, that's a completely different issue. I was just looking at the housing you have now and where the pinion angle was. I run 35's on my Dana 35 so I obviously have no room to be telling people what axle to run, I just didn't want to see anyone have to reweld perches just to set the pinion angle because of the driveshaft change.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
JeepinSC87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

X2 on just saving your money and doing sye with cv driveshafts....especially since you seem to be aware of the weakness of the d35 and want to eventually go with a dana 60. Tom woods does a great job with driveshafts and also sells an sye kit. It's worth it...especially considering the piece of mind you get knowing you have a reliable setup!
'87 White YJ 4" RE suspension lift 2" performance accessories body lift Tom Woods CV driveshafts and SYE AX15 conversion 8.8 rear axle with l/s Dana 30 front axle with Powertrax No-Slip Traction System 35x12.50 Mastercraft C/T's WeBeR CaRbUeRaToR! KC Lighting
Doesn't it sound sexy?
JeepinSC87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.