how much labor to replace a brake line? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > how much labor to replace a brake line?

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 04-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #16
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Do they still have your jeep? If so, you probably don't have any choice but to pay it and figure it is an expensive lesson. You can try to make them jump through some hoops and try to get them to justify the charge, but in the end they have your jeep and you need them to give it back to you.

When you deal with mechanics, always know ahead of time how to they are going to charge you. If it is "out of the book", then have them show it to you if they won't, go somewhere else. If they are going to charge you flat time, then get them to give you an estimate and have them call you before they go over it.

dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #17
BGarth13
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I just changed out both of the brake lines on my 92 yesterday. I bent the lines myself. I only had to take off one hold down bracket on the right side. Oh yeah, and it didn't take 10 hours. 5 lugs on each wheel, two bolts on the bracket and the two nuts on the line itself.
Find a new shop.
BGarth13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #18
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

You can change all the lines in the entire jeep in about three hours. An actual mechanic should be embarrased to admit to taking that long for that job unless he's counting the time to go to scholl to learn how to do it.

If they can't jusify the cost and they won't give the jeep back then you'll have to pay but then you can make it your personaly quest to tell everyone you know and all their friends to never use that shop ever.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #19
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Did they give you an estimate? They have to, and then they have to get your okay to go over what they qoute. I would hold them to the price they qouted when you dropped the jeep off, if they say it took more time, tell them they should have got the okay from you and you will not pay more than you signed for. Don't give in on this, they are screwing you.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #20
Steve707
1993 YJ Wrangler 

All they had to do was replace the hard line with one thats already pre-bent?
Steve707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #21
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

California, right? Pay the bill, get your Jeep and file a complaint with the DMV or whatever agency handles automobile repair shop issues. Most states go out of their way to protect Aunt Bea from getting taken by a repair shop. As big as CA is, I am sure there are avenues open to you.

Also, did you sign a repair order? What does the repair order say? Each state has requirements for what information is required on an RO. Most shops get lazy and do not fill them out properly. As you see, there are plenty of angles and suggest you investigate how it works in your state and take it from there.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #22
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

From the Ca dept of Automotive repair.
"By Law, the auto repair shop must provide a written estimate before doing any work. Ask if there is a charge for the estimate. After you have received the estimate, feel free to go to another shop for a second opinion.
A written estimate must include the total estimated price for parts and labor for a specified repair or service. The estimate must also itemize the parts to be used and the method of repair. The repair shop must stick to the method of repair and the parts listed unless you agree in advance to any changes."

and

"When the repairs cost more than the estimate
If the technician later determines that it will take additional work and will cost more to fix your car than the original estimate, someone from the shop must contact you, describe the additional work and cost, and get your permission to proceed.
You may designate someone to authorize additional parts or labor for you. The approval must be noted on the estimate and invoice"
Go to the site (http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_barresource...air_guide.html) print this up and take it with you, let them know you will file a complaint if they do not release your car.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #23
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow.... I just replaced every brake line on the Jeep with a pre-bent kit, and replaced all the rear brakes. Even with wire wheeling the backing plates and old hardware and painting them, I did not even have close to 10 hours in the WHOLE job! And my lines were so bad that the RT Front line came off in six pieces and the LT Rear brake drum bad to be cut off with a grinder!

This is why I NEVER will pay someone to repair my cars!
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #24
cgseanp

Thanks for the replies.. so, I DID not get an estimate up front.. stupid me, I know. I just figured that since he only charges 50$ an hour, which was about half of other shops, it wouldn't really "matter" how long it took. Of course, I didn't expect 10 hours. I called a couple shops and they both quoted about 3 hours labor for all lines, but at 120 and 100 an hour.. so 360 vs 500.. oh and of course for 500 I didn't get all lines replaced. I can live with the price, but I guess I just don't understand how he can claim it took 10 hours, unless he didn't know what he was doing, or he had someone else doing it (and there is a younger guy at the shop).

I also don't know how to really approach the shop since I had no estimate up front. I can say "so multiple shops quoted me 3 hours for the all lines, and it took you 3x that much time for less lines," but I'm sure he'll say "Too bad, it took him that long, other shops can't do it in 3 hours, blah blah".
cgseanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #25
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgseanp View Post
Thanks for the replies.. so, I DID not get an estimate up front.. stupid me, I know. I just figured that since he only charges 50$ an hour, which was about half of other shops, it wouldn't really "matter" how long it took. Of course, I didn't expect 10 hours. I called a couple shops and they both quoted about 3 hours labor for all lines, but at 120 and 100 an hour.. so 360 vs 500.. oh and of course for 500 I didn't get all lines replaced. I can live with the price, but I guess I just don't understand how he can claim it took 10 hours, unless he didn't know what he was doing, or he had someone else doing it (and there is a younger guy at the shop).

I also don't know how to really approach the shop since I had no estimate up front. I can say "so multiple shops quoted me 3 hours for the all lines, and it took you 3x that much time for less lines," but I'm sure he'll say "Too bad, it took him that long, other shops can't do it in 3 hours, blah blah".
If that job took 10 hours they are stupid or lying or assigned it to some random person walking by the garage.

Print this and show him.
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #26
cgseanp

Just spoke with the shop.. Here is there reason for the extra time.. I supplied the pre bent kit from classic tube, and apparently half the lines did not have correct fittings. So, they took the old ones off, put the new ones on, then realized they didn't fit, and had to pull the new ones off and put old back on.. It "makes sense" to me that it would take extra time, but still doesn't seem right. Has anyone ever heard of the set not fitting? I got the correct set for Wrangler w/ ABS..
cgseanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #27
Steve707
1993 YJ Wrangler 

They're all 3/16 lines aren't they?
Steve707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #28
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgseanp View Post
Just spoke with the shop.. Here is there reason for the extra time.. I supplied the pre bent kit from classic tube, and apparently half the lines did not have correct fittings. So, they took the old ones off, put the new ones on, then realized they didn't fit, and had to pull the new ones off and put old back on.. It "makes sense" to me that it would take extra time, but still doesn't seem right. Has anyone ever heard of the set not fitting? I got the correct set for Wrangler w/ ABS..
What you described takes care of the first five minutes.
Unread 04-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #29
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, ur tellin me they told u they screwed up and took the right fitting off and then put the wrong ones on. Realized it and switched it back and charged u for the extra labor? It's not ur fault he is an idiot and screwed up a perfectly good line by taking the correct fittings off. I would stay away from that place from now on, but u might want to mention to him that it's not ur fault he doesn't no how to do his job. Charging the customer for ur own mistake is wrong in so many ways haha
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #30
88RedWrangler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I know it's a different car but I had all my 96 corolla lines done and the whole thing was $400.
88RedWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.