How much Coolant? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How much Coolant?

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 11-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

How much Coolant?

I just want to make sure 9 quarts is right. 1988 2.5L with OME radiator.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/amc-25.html (it is at the bottom of the page under the chart)

So that is 4.5 quarts of anttfreeze and 4.5 quarts of distilled water right?

Also what should you do with coolant when you drain it? Can you take it to an auto parts store, or do you have to take it to the dump as hazardous waste.

Unread 11-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds about right. Usually I just fill it up to the top, run out the bubbles and air, then fill to the top again. Repeat if needed.

And some auto parts stores (most) will take it and dispose of it correctly, if not, go outside in a complete rage and dump it all over their parking lot (making sure to splash it on the windows, front door, and personal vehicles). Hahaha. No, dont really do that, just make sure it gets taken care of, if you cant find a place, check the phone book, their a bunch in there.
Unread 11-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, I just wanted to make sure so when I pull the lower hose I don't have a 9 quart bucket under it and have more then that in the radiator and on my garage floor. My radiator has a leak and is heavily corroded inside, but still cools well, so I am going to take it out and have it rodded out and get the leak fixed.
Unread 11-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a plan. You might want to look at just getting a new radiator though. Thats the route that I took as well as most people. I paid $75 for mine and it was brand new aluminum, and for that I get a piece of mind as well.
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Where did you find a $75 radiator? The cheapest one I could find is $140 and that was copper like the stock one. I took it to a radiator shop and they said it is definatly repairable, because it is all metal. They said $75 to repair the leak and rod it out making it like a new one. It is a very small leak in the top right corner of the radiator.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.