How much arch/bend in factory springs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How much arch/bend in factory springs?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 01-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

How much arch/bend in factory springs?

I need to get new springs, the old factory springs that came with my SOA swap are shot (last weekend's fun run pushed them over the edge). For comparisons sake, what is the arch of new factory springs? Depending on how far mine have sagged, I may want to get 1" or even 2.5" lift springs. BDS and OME are likely candidates.

My heep is SOA, so my spring perch is on the bottom of the spring. For most of you running SUA, I figure a string pulled from shackle eye to shackle eye and measured to the spring perch, plus the thickness of the spring if SUA, would give me a ballpark of the springs arch.

Search didn't really give this info for factory springs, other than a single post stating "flat, or slightly bent". Anybody got a more specific number?

For what it's worth, I have a hardtop and about 220 LBS of rear bumper/spare tire hanging off the back, and the rear springs now have a negative arch of about 1/2". Add a couple passengers and gear, and the springs are just about hitting the bumpstops while parked. Yeah, they're toast.

Unread 01-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I can't take measurements right at the moment because I'm at work, but I did an SOA conversion on my wife's '93 YJ and the stock springs were shot. I replaced them with the OE replacement springs from Q-tec for $79 each. They are stock height springs, and here's a pic of how they look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The RE 1.5" SOA leafs measure as follows:

Since these are reverse eye wraped leafs (the eyes wrap from the tops, not from the bottoms) I put a broomstick handle across the tops of each end of the main leaf. Basically making a strait line between the tops of the main eye wrap. Both the fronts & rear leafs measure 2.75" of arch using this method.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
jgillespie
1991 YJ Wrangler 

man i like your wife's jeep more each time i see it Max! i will swap with you, so you can have his N hers faded red '91 YJs

Originally posted by Crazyquadder:
Quote:
a 6 foot puddle is approx half way up my doors
jgillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgillespie View Post
man i like your wife's jeep more each time i see it Max! i will swap with you, so you can have his N hers faded red '91 YJs
I think I'll keep the YJ. But can I talk you into taking the wife?

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 01-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #6
jgillespie
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
I think I'll keep the YJ. But can I talk you into taking the wife?
aww come on man, im sure she ain't too shabby if she drives a YJ. my (soon to be) loves mine, and it's definitely a blessing!

Originally posted by Crazyquadder:
Quote:
a 6 foot puddle is approx half way up my doors
jgillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgillespie View Post
aww come on man, im sure she ain't too shabby if she drives a YJ. my (soon to be) loves mine, and it's definitely a blessing!
Yeah, I'm kidding. She's a keeper.

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 01-23-2009, 09:36 PM   #8
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I can't take measurements right at the moment because I'm at work, but I did an SOA conversion on my wife's '93 YJ and the stock springs were shot. I replaced them with the OE replacement springs from Q-tec for $79 each. They are stock height springs, and here's a pic of how they look.

Looking at your pic, Max, your 1.5" shackles and 1" BL add a lot to your YJ's overall height. But, your 2.5" springs used SOA give a good bit of lift on their own compared to my wasted set. For example, the top of my 33's are higher than the top of the frame rail where it arches over the axle (using factory height shackles). Your frame rides, uhmm, significantly higher than mine.
Unread 01-23-2009, 09:39 PM   #9
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
Looking at your pic, Max, your 1.5" shackles and 1" BL add a lot to your YJ's overall height. But, your 2.5" springs used SOA give a good bit of lift on their own compared to my wasted set. For example, the top of my 33's are higher than the top of the frame rail where it arches over the axle (using factory height shackles). Your frame rides, uhmm, significantly higher than mine.
Those are stock height springs, brand new. It's my wife's YJ, so pay no mind to my Jeep profile specs. The shackles on hers are 1" shackles. And yes, hers has a 1" BL too.

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 01-23-2009, 09:42 PM   #10
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
The RE 1.5" SOA leafs measure as follows:

Since these are reverse eye wraped leafs (the eyes wrap from the tops, not from the bottoms) I put a broomstick handle across the tops of each end of the main leaf. Basically making a strait line between the tops of the main eye wrap. Both the fronts & rear leafs measure 2.75" of arch using this method.
Thanks Joe, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Just to clarify, you are measuring the springs while they are bearing the jeep's weight, and measuring to the top of the spring pack, right? I'd have to add about an inch to account for the 4-leaf spring pack's thickness when comparing to my height right now, I'm guessing.
Unread 01-23-2009, 09:43 PM   #11
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Those are stock height springs, brand new. It's my wife's YJ, so pay no mind to my Jeep profile specs. The shackles on hers are 1" shackles. And yes, hers has a 1" BL too.
Okay, got it. Thanks Max!
Unread 01-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #12
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Okay, got it. Thanks Max!
Like I was saying, those OE height springs are only $79 each at Q-tec, and I've had no problems with them sagging or anything. It rides much better than my 2.5" SUA lifted '91 YJ does.

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 01-23-2009, 10:55 PM   #13
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just to clarify, you are measuring the springs while they are bearing the jeep's weight, and measuring to the top of the spring pack, right?
Yep, exactly.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2009, 07:23 AM   #14
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the clarification, Joe!
Unread 01-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #15
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bump for the weekday crew. Hoping to get measurements of factory springs to compare on paper with Joe's RE 1.5" SOA spring measurements.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.