How many pounds can I pull and not break anything - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How many pounds can I pull and not break anything

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 06-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

How many pounds can I pull and not break anything

I tried a search b4 this post. I have a few trucks that weigh about 10,000 lbs empty. I usually park them on hard sand, although the sand here is getting a little soft where I have to park them and I was wondering if I used my Yj to pull one to harder ground to go out on a job if I may break something. I am talkng about pulling the 10k pound truck mayby 30 feet to harder ground.

Also should I use 4L or 4H. I was thinking 4L.

pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think it will be a problem for 30 feet. 4 LO is a must.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Whatever you do - don't try to pull them while going in reverse in 4wd in your Jeep if they are somewhat stuck.

Your HPD30 ring gear may not do so well since you could overstress it while going in reverse under heavy load.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Whatever you do - don't try to pull them while going in reverse in 4wd in your Jeep if they are somewhat stuck.

Your HPD30 ring gear may not do so well since you could overstress it while going in reverse under heavy load.

Thank Joe,

I have my trucks backed in just in case I have to pull them out. Since I may need to take one out at night I will be alone. I know better to spin my tires on the truck if I get stuck.

So you think that I will not have a problem and will not break anything if I pull a 10k pound truck out in 4L?
Unread 06-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If it's not stuck, and your not going to be pulling it down hill with nobody in it you'll probably be okay going forward.

Being they are on packed sand, it's going to be touchy not to dig yourself in while trying to get them going. I'd probably try it if the circumstances were right.
Unread 06-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, Yes if my tires start to spin on my Yj I will have to get someone in the truck to assist me while the truck is in gear. Problem is finding someone at night.

Thanks
Martin
Unread 06-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
Problem is finding someone at night.
You could try hitting up the local bar & offer somebody a free drink if they'd assist ya'. j/k

Is the location kind of out in the sticks?
Unread 06-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
ziebartrob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

FWIW, I pulled an old (60 something I think) Jeep Gladiator that was hooked up to a 12' trailer loaded with a 1950's Ford tractor a couple of weeks back. I was in 4LO running about 2500-3000 rpm's going maybe 5-10 mph. I pulled him for 2 miles (approx) 'til we got to a dwnhill slope in the road and he could get his beast running again (he said it had a bad sending unit??). I have no idea the total weight, but I just took it easy and slow using only my tow strap. I was pretty proud of the old girl. Wife said I sounded like I was bragging about one of my kids after a good ball game If it matters she's a 4.0 w/ 5 spd. It did not seem to cause any damage (so far)
Unread 06-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So are you pulling them (rather than just driving the trucks under their own power) for any particular reason? Are the trucks stuck, or are you asking just in case? If they are stuck in sand and you think the YJ will pull them out I think you are dreaming. At the very least you would need someone in the truck to help assist and man the brakes in case you actually do get it to move.

Also, none of this gets into how you are actually going to hook up to the truck to pull it. If the tube bumpers listed in your profile is correct you will need to search for a better place to strap to.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #10
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
So are you pulling them (rather than just driving the trucks under their own power) for any particular reason? Are the trucks stuck, or are you asking just in case? If they are stuck in sand and you think the YJ will pull them out I think you are dreaming. At the very least you would need someone in the truck to help assist and man the brakes in case you actually do get it to move.

Also, none of this gets into how you are actually going to hook up to the truck to pull it. If the tube bumpers listed in your profile is correct you will need to search for a better place to strap to.

My plan was to hook up to my ball hitch.
Unread 06-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #11
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thats a negative ghost rider. I'm 1000% sure your receiver hitch is not rated for pulling 10000 lbs of stuck truck anywhere. Your entire bumper (and possibly your rear frame crossmember) will probably not stay attached to the Jeep.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #12
ziebartrob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thats a negative ghost rider. I'm 1000% sure your receiver hitch is not rated for pulling 10000 lbs of stuck truck anywhere. Your entire bumper (and possibly your rear frame crossmember) will probably not stay attached to the Jeep.
Dont rely on the hitch on your Wrangler for that. It will def exceed the tow rating for it.
Unread 06-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #13
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Ohhh, I see.

I do not want to pull the crossmember out as you mention. I know that my ball is only rated at 2k or so. I am not towing, only pulling. I know that the hitch receiver is pretty thick steel and should handle the load. Or am I wrong? My original concern was for my tranny and other drive line parts.

I never thought about the crossmamber What can I do to my crossmember to increase its' strength?

Others with a hook attached to the crossmember are they better rated?
Unread 06-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #14
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Baaagh... Pull away. As long as the truck being pulled isnt stuck.
I have pulled on motor homes with trailers attached and a jeep riding on the trailer. Pulled those piles of **** all over the lake bed.

What's the worst that could happen?

Edit-
Does the truck you are pulling run and have power to the wheels?
If so.... I wouldn't think twice about hooking up to it.

Even if it inst running, I'd pull on it, but i guess that is just me.

At KOH last year i was trying to no avail to snatch a full size flat bed truck from the sand. I was yanking the HELL out of that thing. Didn't get it out, but it wasn't for lack of trying

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.