How many filters should there be? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How many filters should there be?

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 11-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
evilbetty
1988 YJ Wrangler 

How many filters should there be?

Need some help redoing my fuel line. I'm fairly new to JEEP love, and still learning so please forgive my ignorance. The previous owner did a lot of rigging and, near as I can tell, not always for the best. Anyways, '88 YJ w/ stock carb...

First ? is... How many fuel filters should I have? Following from the tank the first filter I run into is on the pass side of the engine.

This seems to be right before some type of "exchange", if you will, on the side of the engine. (BTW, what is that part?) From there the line crosses the top of the engine towards the carb where we find this one:

So what should I actually have going on here?

Also, when I went to purchase a new filter I received one with what I'm guessing is a return line. However my current filters don't appear to have that, but the T on top of my tank does have a connection with no hose going to it (pointing towards the pass side I believe). Should I also have a return line?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

evilbetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
89yjsahara258
1989 YJ Wrangler 

First off, you only need the one filter that is by the carb.
The exchange I believe you are talking about it the fuel pump.
The only purpose I can see for the secondary fuel filter before the pump is that you tank had lost of crud of "bad" gas and was ruining fuel pumps...but that is just a guess.
You should have a return line. Mine goes from the filter, down beside the manifold, across to the driver side frame rail and on to the take.

Spencer
89yjsahara258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2011, 12:02 AM   #3
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

On my 88 with the 2.5 there is 2 filters for the fuel.
1st one is in the tank attached to the pickup for the pump...more like a pre-filter.
2nd one is mounted on the frame just behind the E-brake cable mount with the adjuster. This is the main filter and is about half the size of a soda can.
Looks like the PO moved it to the engine bay in your first picture.

Some engines use a secondary one like yours up near the carb or like the 82 Chev I had it was in the carb itself where the main feed line attached.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2011, 12:13 AM   #4
89yjsahara258
1989 YJ Wrangler 

OP has the 4.2l like I do which, aside from the screen in the gas tank, only has one filter by the carb.

Spencer
89yjsahara258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.