How many bolts in the tranny to engine mount!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How many bolts in the tranny to engine mount!?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-18-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
denwagh

How many bolts in the tranny to engine mount!?

Yes it's question number one million on this tranny drop and possibly the last! How many bolts are connecting the tranny to the engine.. It feels like there are some bolts way up above which seem like that will be just short of impossible to get to. (Of course nothing is impossible)

Any siggesstions on how to get to them and how many I'm look at (So I know when I can begin to push the tranny out)

I did remove the starter, another thing Hayne's fails to mention.

Thanks for any input!!

denwagh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
enordrum
1994 YJ Wrangler 

8 bolts all together if you count the ones on the bottom that just hold the inspection cover on.
enordrum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

To get to the top bolts you can lower the engine/tranny down and then reach from the rear over the tranny with a long entension to remove the top bolts.

They are an inverted torx type head. You can sometimes use a 6 point socket
to get them out (unless you have the special socket for them.)
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2007, 12:15 PM   #4
denwagh

Hmmm the only inverted heads I had were on the starter.. I think I've got all the bolts out, BUT now the tranny won't seem to budge although it has shifted a little..

I hops it's not resting on the shaft.. I've got a jack under it but I'm a little nervous about trying to back it off alone..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloppk
To get to the top bolts you can lower the engine/tranny down and then reach from the rear over the tranny with a long entension to remove the top bolts.

They are an inverted torx type head. You can sometimes use a 6 point socket
to get them out (unless you have the special socket for them.)
Unread 05-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
SWAMPRNR
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Did you remove the 2 small bolts on the top? They are external torx bolts size E12.
Only easy way to get them is like kloppk said.
Unread 05-18-2007, 01:06 PM   #6
denwagh

Hmmm.. I did not find them but will look again.. I have 8 large 18mm bolts out and the tranny has moved a little bit..

Should the tranny seperate from the engine pretty easily?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAMPRNR
Did you remove the 2 small bolts on the top? They are external torx bolts size E12.
Only easy way to get them is like kloppk said.
Unread 05-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #7
enordrum
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The only 2 small E12 bolts on my AX5 were the starter bolts...

I used a large screw driver to pry things apart. You can also use a rubber mallet to knock things loose. Once it starts, it seperates pretty quick. My next obstacle is clearing the downpipe.
Unread 05-18-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
denwagh

Oh good, I'm not insane.

It looks like I've got all the bolts.. I'm using a regular floor jack on the tranny and I've even strapped it to the jack but I'm still affraid it's going to fall, or break the shaft, etc.. I'm a newb to this so I'm nervous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enordrum
The only 2 small E12 bolts on my AX5 were the starter bolts...

I used a large screw driver to pry things apart. You can also use a rubber mallet to knock things loose. Once it starts, it seperates pretty quick. My next obstacle is clearing the downpipe.
Unread 05-18-2007, 03:21 PM   #9
enordrum
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I am also a noob . This is my first Jeep, had it for 3 days and I'm already tearing it apart!
Unread 05-18-2007, 05:41 PM   #10
denwagh

Well I finally got the transmission out..

Note to Haynes, it helps to take the inspecion plate off... SMACK.. Sat there for an hour jimmying the tranny back and forth and it occured to me then that the plate was blocking the tranny from moving out.. 10 mins later it was out.. Bleh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by enordrum
I am also a noob . This is my first Jeep, had it for 3 days and I'm already tearing it apart!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.