How Loud is your YJ on Road and Why - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How Loud is your YJ on Road and Why

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

View Poll Results: How loud is your YJ Onraod 1(quiet) to 5(loud)
1)quiet ex. It sounds like my moms taurus 1 1.37%
2) 6 8.22%
3)Some noise, but bearable 21 28.77%
4) 16 21.92%
5)LOUD ex.wind noise, gear whine, tread wear 29 39.73%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 09-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #16
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I got 33" duratracs and they still hum on hwy. The 4.0l sounds like a diesel so yep thats another noise. Tcase drop tilted the engine back to a point that it rubs the firewall, i have a hardtop and soft uppers so a 55- up mph you cant hear yourself talkand it has some squeaks here and there. Noisy, bumpy, slow, but hey builds character. People hate riding in it but they dont understand.

Unread 09-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #17
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I would guess a Number 4. I have multiple issues; huge hole in the muffler and said muffler bent in two, the Super Swamper TSL's, no carpet, and, at this time, no top. I've had the muffler like this for about two years now. I need to fix it, but, it sounds good, and I want to find something that reproduces that sound.

Jerry
Unread 09-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #18
tsalmeto
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Number 5.

I don't listen to the radio, because I can't hear it until I'm stopped. It doesn't matter if no top, soft top, doors, no doors, still have to yell to talk to someone in the back seat. I can't use my cell phone because the Jeep is too loud to hear the person on the other end (I kind of like that).

I have a 4cyl., brand new exhaust all the way to the tailpipe, newer 33x12.50 KM2s (which are relatively quiet tires), no carpet, Bestop Supertop, and full soft doors. Even when I had steel half doors with fiberglass uppers and a hardtop it was still the same.

Lots of road and wind noise. One more thing that it makes it a Jeep thing, that everyone else is trying to understand.
tsalmeto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #19
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

I worked on generators for 25 years in the military ."what noice"!!!!
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 01:14 AM   #20
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Mine was pretty loud, TSL's , Header/Flowmaster 40 series bikini top year round on the hiway it would over power a 1200 watt stereo When I switched to MTR's it was better but still a Good 4
Unread 09-07-2011, 01:23 AM   #21
kphimself
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I find hamburger wrapers in place of dry rotted and cracked weather stripping works well to reduce some of the wind noise on long trips.
kphimself is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 01:32 AM   #22
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Mines loud. Just like the vast majority of the others on here. Its a combination of large tread lugs slapping the pavement, the lack of carpet, lack of doors, no top and flowmaster muffler. Add in the marine cd player and Ipod and I cant here much of anything when going over 45mph.

I have found that a soft top, and soft doors dont do much to quiet it down. However, 8 inches of snow on the jeep, and on the street really seem to quiet things down...
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 03:25 AM   #23
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HI All,
Loud? Loud, you say? Compared to what? A jet aircraft? A hammer mill? A teenagers car stereo? By comparison to those, my Jeep is whisper quiet.

But compared to any reasonable car, it's noisy. I still have carpets and stock exhaust. I've tried to keep it quiet but it's a no go. Everything makes noise. The tires, the soft top, general rattles, wind noise, traffic, rain. You name it, it's noisy. At least the drive train and exhaust is quiet. I'm glad it is not my daily driver.

So, I take the only defense. Ear buds for my iPod and Sirius sat radio or ear plugs. This is good just for the general health of your ears. But, once on the trail, it's OK and I am happy.

Sparky
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 04:28 AM   #24
ruthole
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My hard top is insulated and no wind noise till bout 65 but I took the carpet out and can now really hear the 33" super swampers so rides nice for now. But will soon have a straight pipe into a glass pack so will increase the noise by hopefully a lot

Lone jeep club member #1

[QUOTE=TMSquy;13470729]If parts aint flyin you aint tryin![/QUOTE]
ruthole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 06:33 AM   #25
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My LS-1 powered Trans Am with an electric exhaust cutout wide open is still quieter on the highway than my 4 bangin' Jeep......and it gets twice as many MPGs ! Still not as fun though..
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 07:10 AM   #26
Reddy89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Mostly wind. With the new exhaust it's much quieter, just sounds like there's a tornado outside.
Reddy89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 07:20 AM   #27
Virjeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

New motor, new tires, new exhaust, new soft top, still noisy,but good noises. I love it!
Virjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #28
JLRock
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondoBbad View Post
What? ...Did you say something? Is my Heep Proud? ...what? ...sorry I'm a little hard of hearing.
i think this is true I got my Jeep in October and i went to get a physical in March and my doctor did the hearing test and I fail it I just realized why my hearing is so bad
JLRock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #29
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a case of the Jeep tick for sure. But I can't hear it going down the road so I picked #1. With the top off I don't really hear anything (in town). No exhaust noise, no tire humm, etc... I would certainly not say that it's annoying as a DD like you describe. And I can talk on the phone in town as well.

On the highway there is some wind noise of corse.

With the hard top on I would have had to pick #3 though. But the top is only on for the snowey months. It goes on in late November (after all of my hunting seasons are done), and comes off in March or maybe April depending on the year and how bad I've got "the itch".

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #30
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

What!!!!! can you speak up please!!!!!!!!!
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.