How long does it take to change a serpentine belt? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How long does it take to change a serpentine belt?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 08-23-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
JaySpencer66
1991 YJ Wrangler 

How long does it take to change a serpentine belt?

So today I get a call from my wife who is driving our other vehicle, a Mazda Tribute. She said that she got out of the car with no issues, parked the car with no problems, got back in, turned the key and "nothing." So now she will have to drive the Jeep, which is okay but I would like to get the serpentine belt changed because it squeels quite a bit. I was wonderring if anyone can tell me how long it would take to do the serpentine belt on average? I planned on doing it on Saturday when I had all day anyhow, but I may want to do it tonight if it is a 2 hour job kind of thing. (It's a 91 with a 4.0 and no AC.)

I have air tools, and a 24" breaker bar as well as the belt already in hand.

Thanks in advance to anyone who even reads this, let alone can tell me.

[color=#996600]/l[/color][color=#000000] , [/color][color=#996600] [[/color][color=#000000]____[/color][color=#996600]][/color],
[color=#996600]l---L--[color=#CCCCCC][][/color][color=#996600]lllllll[/color][color=#CCCCCC][][/color]-[/color]
[color=#000000][b]()_) ()_)[/b]----[b])_)[/b]
[/color][Url=http://www.deepblueforum.com]Deep Blue Forum[/url]
Member #1 of the "I Hate Torx Club!"
~anyone with a Jeep is an automatic member, and anyone can be member #1~
JaySpencer66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2005, 02:09 PM   #2
bretm

Shouldn't take too long, maybe half and hour if the first time you're doing it (just to figure out which bolts you need to loosen to pivot, what size they are, walking back and forth to the tool box, etc.)?

The belt is probably just loose, but if you bought a new one already, put the new one on and keep the old one for emergencies (I keep one in a plastic bag stuffed in the engine compartment under the battery tray).

I'm not sure where the 4.0 pivots, my 4.2 w/AC is tensioned by the alternator.
Unread 08-23-2005, 02:10 PM   #3
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I did my 95 2.5 in about 20 minutes, first timer. That includes figuring out how the hell to loosen the tensioner bolt(couldnt find it) and figuring out which of the two belts I got was the right one. Of course I picked the wrong length first. You just loosen the long bolt that goes behind the PS pump and it will move the tensioner pulley(assuming its the same on the 4.0). Then slide the belt off and put a new one on. I'd say 30 minutes tops, if you're truely lost. Did it again when I changed my thermostat and took only a couple minutes. Grab a Haynes for more detail.

edit: damn, beat me to it. Also, a standard socket set w/extension is all you need.

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2005, 02:39 PM   #4
JaySpencer66
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet! Thank you both! I happen to have the Chilton's already and briefed myself on the unbolting order already!
[color=#996600]/l[/color][color=#000000] , [/color][color=#996600] [[/color][color=#000000]____[/color][color=#996600]][/color],
[color=#996600]l---L--[color=#CCCCCC][][/color][color=#996600]lllllll[/color][color=#CCCCCC][][/color]-[/color]
Unread 08-23-2005, 03:09 PM   #5
olyjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck! Mine was a pain to get the tensioner to move.. rusted solid... Now I know about the modern marvel "PB blaster" which probably would have made it alot easier
olyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2005, 03:12 PM   #6
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyjeep
Good luck! Mine was a pain to get the tensioner to move.. rusted solid... Now I know about the modern marvel "PB blaster" which probably would have made it alot easier
My new best friend is the wire brush. Even if you get the nut un-stuck, if the threads are a mess, the jobs a b!tch. Since the wire brush, the rest is easy.

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2005, 11:03 PM   #7
sjlplat

Screw that tensioner. It's easier to remove the alternator.
sjlplat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2005, 07:56 PM   #8
JaySpencer66
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It took about one hour to do! And man what a PITA!!! Because of the location of it, the fuel lines, and PS lines I was lucky on the back bolts, and side tensioner to get things moving more then 1/4 turn at a time!

I got it done with a little patience, and enjoyed the blissful sound of the truck starting very quickly with no squeel at all! (BOOO YAH!!!!)

I noticed that I have a cracked, what I assume to be a vacuum line that I posted in another thread. ~sigh~ At least it does not seem to be anything I was not expecting though, but boy did it look nasty.
Unread 08-25-2005, 09:09 AM   #9
sjlplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySpencer66
It took about one hour to do! And man what a PITA!!! Because of the location of it, the fuel lines, and PS lines I was lucky on the back bolts, and side tensioner to get things moving more then 1/4 turn at a time!
That's why it's easier to remove the alternator. Loosen 1 bolt, remove the other. Replace the belt, re-install the bolts, and you're done. 10 minutes.
Unread 08-26-2005, 11:44 AM   #10
JaySpencer66
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If I have to do that again I will truly consider it! The only thing I see with that is tensioning it.
Unread 08-27-2005, 09:13 AM   #11
sjlplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySpencer66
If I have to do that again I will truly consider it! The only thing I see with that is tensioning it.
Nothing to it. Use the tensioner to give you enough slack to re-install the alternator, then adjust accordingly once it's all back together. Only requires a couple turns, rather than cranking on it for an hour.
Unread 08-27-2005, 10:09 AM   #12
JaySpencer66
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.