how to install TJ uppers on 1/2 doors w/ hard top - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > how to install TJ uppers on 1/2 doors w/ hard top

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #61
MDCustom
1998 TJ Wrangler 

>>>never mind the above idea.... I am sure it can be done but, there is more to it than that. The YJ frame goes straight up from the corner of the door and the TJ frame has that extra curve about 4" up from the bottom before going up. Looks like I might have to dig deeper to have the frames shipped. Bummer.

MDCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #62
Sledhead44
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Really appreciate this write-up! I am going to be doing this mod very soon. I have one question which no one has asked yet...Does there have to be some sort of vertical channel or whatever you call it on the back side of the windshield frame? I have seen them for sale for soft uppers. Do I need to get these too?
Sledhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #63
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

no, although I had a set, and cut them down to fit with the hard top, they help it seal better, but are not needed. the ones on a TJ are much smaller than the YJ plastic window channel. I need a set of TJ's now myself
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

3) 2007 JKU being built now
texas_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #64
BadHairDay
2010 CJ8 

I didn't use the plastic windshield pieces and have had no problems sealing at the windshield frame. However all of mine needs to be RE-adjusted due to trees jumping out in front of me wheeling. LOL!

Unread 08-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #65
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well I just bought these TJ Soft Uppers from 4 Wheel Parts...
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Doors-Doo..._pn=S%2fB79415

Got them for $189.99 for the pair. Free shipping and a 5% off coupon code (CC5OFF). Seems like a good deal. Only saw one set of TJ uppers on craigslist a while ago for $200.

Planning on using them with a Softopper. Modifying the frame looks easy enough. I figured I'd get the doors first and see what they look like. Once they come in and look OK I'll order the top.
Unread 08-05-2012, 07:15 AM   #66
bum4x4
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Glenn, mind keeping me informed on the outcome of your doors?
Iíve done just the opposite, brought the Softopper first and Iím looking for doors now.
Thanks,
bum4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #67
SSRx7
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just called Smittybilt, and they told me that those uppers are designed to fit their softopper only, it will not fit the hardtop. I too have a set of factory TJ uppers, and a CJ 7 hard top. The uppers are about an inch longer (front to back) than the door opening in the hard top. Mine have the sown on fabric, so I cut the threads to remove teh frame. I would have to section about an inch of each horizontal rail, as well as moving the mounting pins.

From what I have been told, the Cj7 and the yj hardtop and full steel doors are identicle. I'm probly gonna make my own out of fiberglass, or but full steel doors, which I really want anyway. They are just so expensive.
SSRx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #68
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRx7 View Post
I just called Smittybilt, and they told me that those uppers are designed to fit their softopper only, it will not fit the hardtop. I too have a set of factory TJ uppers, and a CJ 7 hard top. The uppers are about an inch longer (front to back) than the door opening in the hard top. Mine have the sown on fabric, so I cut the threads to remove teh frame. I would have to section about an inch of each horizontal rail, as well as moving the mounting pins.

From what I have been told, the Cj7 and the yj hardtop and full steel doors are identicle. I'm probly gonna make my own out of fiberglass, or but full steel doors, which I really want anyway. They are just so expensive.
I spoke with Smittybilt as well and was told that the door uppers only fit "Factory OEM" tops. The TJ tops they sell are identical to the factory uppers.

Mine just showed up but won't have time to mess with them until next week. I'll update once I look closer.
I guess I can compare the frame to my full doors and see how they match up.
Unread 08-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #69
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bum4x4 View Post
hey glenn, mind keeping me informed on the outcome of your doors?
Iíve done just the opposite, brought the softopper first and iím looking for doors now.
Thanks,
will do!
Unread 08-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #70
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

OK so I decided to compare the Smittybilt uppers to my full hard doors which fit my hardtop perfectly.

It looks like they match up pretty damn good to me!!!
They look to be very good quality and you can't beat the price either!!!

Seeing the Softopper is designed to be used with the full doors I don't see why these won't fit. They also looked good next to my half doors. Definitely need to cut and weld the back bracket which is well documented in this thread. Going to order my Softopper tomorrow!!!

Attachment 449178

Attachment 449179

Attachment 449180
Unread 08-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #71
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have smittybilt skins with my yj hardtop and they fit great.
Unread 08-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #72
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepyj13 View Post
I have smittybilt skins with my yj hardtop and they fit great.
Thanks, that's good to know!
jacobmc posted in entry #53 that he had Smittys and couldn't get them to fit.
Unread 08-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #73
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Are those TJ or YJ uppers? You have a link for them?
caoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #74
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

those are TJ uppers. I'm glad that this post is still coming up so often. I didn't waste my time doing this write-up at all
Thats a good price for 4WP Glenn! and coaboy, the link is in post 65 above
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

3) 2007 JKU being built now
texas_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #75
SSRx7
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn-91YJ View Post
OK so I decided to compare the Smittybilt uppers to my full hard doors which fit my hardtop perfectly.

It looks like they match up pretty damn good to me!!!
They look to be very good quality and you can't beat the price either!!!

Seeing the Softopper is designed to be used with the full doors I don't see why these won't fit. They also looked good next to my half doors. Definitely need to cut and weld the back bracket which is well documented in this thread. Going to order my Softopper tomorrow!!!

Attachment 449178

Attachment 449179

Attachment 449180
Hey Glen, Have you tried to fit the uppers you got to the opening in your hard top? It looks from you pic like they are real close you your hard doors, but how about on the seal (inner) side? I think that is where the difference really comes into play.
SSRx7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.