how to install TJ uppers on 1/2 doors w/ hard top - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > how to install TJ uppers on 1/2 doors w/ hard top

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #46
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

Great Write up!

supersport126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #47
lawson1603
1987 YJ Wrangler 

taxes yj- great write up! Made me go ahead and buy a set of TJ's. I got them from the place and I cut the last pin and put them on they are tight but they fit nicely. They are a little hard to shut what did you mean by you had to trim the seals?? thinking it might make them easyer to shut..
lawson1603 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #48
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

I also just picked a pair of TJ uppers today. I dont have a hardtop yet but now I'm in the market.
supersport126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #49
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

can i just buy TJ door skin and use my frame put the new skins on and be done with it? cause before my cousin sold me his yj he bought a oem hardtop and kept the halfdoors and had upperdrs custom made to fit. my left dr skin zipper is beyond repairable so im just wondering will just buying doorskins will be easier to my already fab. frame.
Unread 06-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #50
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

no, I'm afraid the frames are the problem, the TJ frames are rounded at the top like a hard door is, you need the frames and skins to make this work. on page 1 is pics of the 2 style frames together
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

3) 2007 JKU being built now
texas_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #51
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_yj View Post
no, I'm afraid the frames are the problem, the TJ frames are rounded at the top like a hard door is, you need the frames and skins to make this work. on page 1 is pics of the 2 style frames together
i found out today that my frame did in fact fit my new dr skin so im pretty sure i had tj upper on it before. i simply just switched frames. so i bypassed the whole pin cutting part. i have another question though i removed the yj door rail but when i slam the door it does close good but the rounded part of skin is a very tight fit on the hardtop is that normal? when i try to open it the latch gets hung up on the latch pin. i have to barely lift the door to open it. did you have this problem? can you give me any suggestions on how to fix this? otherwise than that it fits good with a great seal.
Unread 07-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #52
BadHairDay
2010 CJ8 

Cool. Glad it worked out. I was thinking that you had a bestop supertop upper?

-Max
Unread 12-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #53
jacobmc

Has anybody used smittybuilts Tj door skin and frames I just can't get mine.to.fit
jacobmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #54
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have no experiance with SB, but I just checked my Chineese frames agains the OEM from a friend, and my new TJ had Bestops super top jobs on it, and the frame are Identicle! This swap does take some time to get everything lined up right, I'm bretty good with body work, and still had about an hour into tweeking everything little bits to get that perfect fit (visually, functionally; they were hard to close, they fit very tight, and bend in more than YJ frames, but that made it seal better too.)
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

Unread 12-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #55
BlueDanube
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I can also say from experience that the Supertop soft uppers (or in my case the SunRider) will NOT fit a hard top, but ironically the full (hard top style) doors fit the SunRider top perfectly... Go figure.

The soft uppers are too long front to rear on the upper portion where the curved part is, and the lower contoured area is also too far back. Even though they're the correct "shape" they are the wrong size to fit in the hard top door opening.
Unread 02-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #56
wGraves

Bringing this back up. I'll post pictures as soon as I get home but I'm having a hell of a time getting this to work. Picked up some tj uppers on craigslist, they appear to be oem. Cut the rear peg off and installed them. It just seams there's no amount of tweaking to get these to sit in right. The doors are vey hard to open and close. If I take the canvas off of the frames they do fit but are tight in some places. It's starting to get cold again here in Ohio and with the doors not sealing the jeep doesn't stay warm at all! Any help would be great.
wGraves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #57
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

as you can see, I've got about 1/4 to 3/8" front, and a full 1/2" rear. As I remember from doing this (been a while) I adjusted the hard top front to back, and the distance from the pins to the metal flat bar at the bottom (so it sat just a little lower). the front was always a little tight, but the rear was never a problem, even the next year when I put the hard top back on for winter. try adjusting everything with the canvas off to make it easier to see whats going on.

Unread 02-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #58
wGraves

Here are the pictures of my jeep.

I still need to weld the 3rd peg back on and I think that might have something to do with the partial gap around the bottom of the door seal.
wGraves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #59
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

I did this 3 or 4 years ago, but never considered writing it up.

Nice job!
Unread 03-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #60
MDCustom
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I picked up a 92 with half doors to scrounge for parts to use on my 95. The 92 has half doors and the 95 has a hardtop. I would like to do the TJ upper swap but shipping to Canada for frames is crazy. Unless I find a used set for sale locally, I may have to wait.

For those people who can weld (not me- yet!) Would it be possible to modify the corners of the YJ frame to fit the curve of the hardtop? This is how I would approach the job:

I would mount the stock, square cornered frame, into the door.
With the door closed, mark & cut where the curved corners of the hardtop contact the frame. (allow for 3/8" or so clearance for the material)
Then, bend some 3/8" rod ( or whatever diameter it actually is) around a radius form that matches the radius of the hardtop, or the TJ fabric.
Next, weld the curved section you just made back to the original frame.
Paint, and cover with TJ fabric.
Does that make sense? Would it work do you think? Would those welds be a weak point?
MDCustom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.