how to install TJ uppers on 1/2 doors w/ hard top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > how to install TJ uppers on 1/2 doors w/ hard top

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

write-up: how to install TJ uppers on 1/2 doors w/ hard top

I have seen allot of questions about fitting soft uppers on your YJ with a hard top. with full doors going for around $800 in some places, and tops for $5-800, using some ebay uppers and frames is very economical. I sourced my uppers&frames from this complany for $169.99 shipped, but they have gone up a little
97-06 Jeep Wrangler BLACK Upper Doors Soft Top W FRAMES:eBay Motors (item 190361956336 end time Jan-10-10 17:35:59 PST)
pictures of the jeep with both sets of doors side by side

The new skins and frames arrived unassembled and in good order, I put one together.

You can see here how the last pin does not align properly, and needs to be cut and welded

after cutting, make sure you protect your door while tacking it together!!!

Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

3) 2007 JKU being built now

Last edited by texas_yj; 01-10-2010 at 06:58 PM..
texas_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Pretty straight forward modification, its great to see with the pictures you posted how easy it really is. This really opens up possibilities for us YJ guys that have, for the most part, been soft top or hard doors with no options.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

I discovered that some doors may hit the fiberglass of the top, mine just nicked it, so I filed it to clean it up and repainted it

You will need to remove the YJ belt rail, the TJ doesn't use it and has a nice seal on the bottom instead

I had to trim off the tail on the rear part of the seal, tapper cut it so that it seals to the door nicely.

You will have to play with the pins alittle to get everything to align right, but one you get it right, it seals up nicely, Mine is as quite going down the road as my full doors, it has no leaks anywhere, and you cant see light from anywere around the door. I had to shorten the middle and last pin so they would sit lower on the door, and tweeked the front pin to hold it higher.
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

Unread 01-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

This pic didn't make the writeup, but does a real good job of showing how well the frames fit the hard top so I'm throwing it out there

Unread 01-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Very cool! Seeing the pic makes it clear exactly how the pin needs to be modified.

Looks good, too. Wonder if anybody makes white uppers to match my white hardtop? My Bestop soft uppers are spice to match my Supertop.
Unread 01-11-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
impboy65
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Dang, you beat me to it. Looks great, I just got my uppers last night.
Unread 01-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Added to the FAQ.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
2GPS4ME

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Added to the FAQ.
Thanks, I wish I could get the Cherokee moderators to do that once or twice in a decade....

WJ (WIFE JEEP) PROJECT COMING SOON
2GPS4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You might be able to adjust the spreader bars on the roll bar to pull the windshield back ever so slightly. This will move the hard top back as well and clear the doors properly.

White '94 YJ Sport

Unread 02-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #10
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great write-up and excellent pictures.

I have seen the question a million times, and its always been one of those subjects where someone thinks it might work. Thanks for clearing it up with so much detail.
Unread 02-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #11
2GPS4ME

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have some pictures of how the YJ soft upper does (not) fit on the hardtop? I am having troubles seeing why it would not fit.

Unread 02-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #12
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

There are no companies that make YJ soft uppers to fit hardtops. The only one that does is BesTop for their Supertop soft top, and the Supertop corners are a different radius and angle from the stock hard top. Why ? No idea.

White '94 YJ Sport

Unread 02-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #13
2GPS4ME

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I guess I'll go see for myself.

The radius of the top corner must be very close, because looking at pictures there is not much difference.

Unread 02-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #14
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
There are no companies that make YJ soft uppers to fit hardtops. The only one that does is BesTop for their Supertop soft top, and the Supertop corners are a different radius and angle from the stock hard top. Why ? No idea.
Wrong... There is a company. I purchased a set of them prior to giving in and buying my Bestop Hard uppers a few years back. The only problem is that they didn't fit as promised and the quality was nowhere near that of Bestop. Can't remember the brand anymore... I posted it several years back if you feel like searching my posts a bit.
Unread 02-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #15
CLIMBaMTN
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirefryer93 View Post
I guess I'll go see for myself.

The radius of the top corner must be very close, because looking at pictures there is not much difference.
not much difference? LOL...TJ has ROUNDED corner, YJ is SQUARE....if you don't believe me you can check my classifieds and see the YJ ones im selling...you can use them with a hard top, but you will have to SLAM the door to get it to close, and it will overlap and look like ****.
CLIMBaMTN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.