How to install a body lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to install a body lift?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-01-2006, 04:37 PM   #1
Gigidy Gigidy

How to install a body lift?

Sorry but the search isnt working for me for some reason, I was wondering if someone could post a link or something on how to install a body lift lift on a yj. I heard its rather easy but Im kinda a "n00b" hah thanks.

Gigidy Gigidy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
ohhpe

Body lifts are fairly simple... great place to start though.
Basically there are .. someone else verify this.. but 9 bolts mounting the body to the frame. You unbolt those (which will be the hardest part being a yj, so its atleast 10 years old) and once you get those all loose you jack up one side at a time to put the spacers in... new bolts.. then do the same on the other side. Drop the radiator using the brackets provided. Thats about it I think.. I havent done it in a couple years but the hardest part I had was that i broke 3 bolts off in the frame and had to get them out

Buy lots of PB blaster and soak all the bolts for a couple days/weeks in advance

2005 WK Limited 5.7L Hemi. 2" day star lift awaiting tires and wheels for installation.
ohhpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
z71offroader

the bigger the lift the harder it will be to install also. a 1" is the easiest since there is less things that u have to move. like the shifter and rad. can be run in the stock position. but with a 2-3" there is alot more to be moved to line everything up correctly.
93 YJ- SOA, R.E 1.5" Leafs, Custom paint, 35x16 Boggers,15x10 97 series rockcrawlers. Diamond plated interior and exterior, Tera SYE/CV DS, Herculined Tub, Bestop, Warn Bumpers w/ 9.5ti, 8.8" rear, D30 front, both ARB's with 4:88's, Super 88, Posi-Lok, Alpine Stereo, Tuffy Security, Hella Fogs, ProComp Spots, and much more.

07 2500HD D-Max CC LB Black Ranchhand Bumpers, MBRP 5" Straight Piped Exhaust, Edge Evo, N-fabs, 305/65/18 BFGs on Black Motos, much more soon to come!

(Sold)03 Z71- 33x12 BFG Muds, American Racing Victor Teflons, K&N intake, Gibson Exhaust, Ranchand bumpers, Hypertech programmed, Hella Spots, 12" JL sub, and much more.
z71offroader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2006, 05:22 PM   #4
Gigidy Gigidy

I thought I heard there were 11 mounting points, does anyone have a diagram or picture showing all the spots. haha I just realized that I recently herced my tub and went right over all the bolts, oh well. thanks for the replys.
Unread 05-01-2006, 07:05 PM   #5
ohhpe

11 sounds firmiliar.... yup.. three on each side 4 in back and one in front

2005 WK Limited 5.7L Hemi. 2" day star lift awaiting tires and wheels for installation.
Unread 05-01-2006, 07:13 PM   #6
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

There are 3 on each side(visible ont he outside of the frame), two in front of the gas tank, one on each rear corner, and one centered on the grille. Ohh, and when they spin freely without coming out it's just lovely.

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2006, 07:30 PM   #7
Gigidy Gigidy

Theres nothing hate more then spinning bolts. I was thinking about a 2" lift, I would go for 3" but it seems everyones against it. does anyone have a 3" BL, is it really that dangerous?
Unread 05-01-2006, 07:41 PM   #8
rm1

If you go to high the steering shaft probly wont line up correctly.
rm1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2006, 08:01 PM   #9
crosscheck17
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigidy Gigidy
I was thinking about a 2" lift, I would go for 3" but it seems everyones against it. does anyone have a 3" BL, is it really that dangerous?
3" would be dangerous if you do any good offroading. you'll probably do more work trying to accomodate for the 3" separation between the body and frame to get it operating properly again, like the shifter if it's manual and probly the steering like rm1 said. you also risk the body tub sagging around those new mounts and possibly having one of those mounts pop through the body tub. you should get a 2" suspension lift, and 1" BL max.

You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because I just farted.

"The box said 'Required Windows 95 or better'. So, I installed LINUX."
crosscheck17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2006, 08:04 PM   #10
xxxflhrci

People have been running 3 inch BL's for decades without major problems. Get one if you want it.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2006, 08:07 PM   #11
accord387

I would definately avoid a big body lift if you can. But as previously stated, people have been running them forever.
accord387 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2006, 10:41 PM   #12
pyro9862

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord387
I would definately avoid a big body lift if you can. But as previously stated, people have been running them forever.
And if it's a mall crawler it will be just fine. As soon as you put it through any situation where you're getting tossed around a bit their is an enormous amount of stress on the bolts. Think about it, the body is essentially being held up by these bolts. The longer they are the more leverage the body has on them, the easier they are to bend.
Even on the road, hit too big of a pothole or get into a minor accident and you're bolts may bend or pop through.
pyro9862 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2006, 10:48 PM   #13
Gigidy Gigidy

I think im gonna go with 2"BL. I doubt that I will ever go "serious off-roading" like a park or something (I know, I know, the YJ deserves better) I was also thinking of a shackle lift too, then I think I will be ready to go.
Unread 05-02-2006, 01:00 PM   #14
ohhpe

2" is good.. after all the work to put a bl on an old yj youll kick yourself if you only get 1" out of it.

Unread 05-02-2006, 01:02 PM   #15
CalicoYJ

I have a 3 inch body lift and I hate it. Im switching to a suspension lift soon. I'd say the 2 inch and a shackle sounds like a better idea.
CalicoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.