how important is drop pitman arm - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > how important is drop pitman arm

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #16
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Bleed your brakes again.
The easiest way I have found to get a stubborn pitman arm off (besides cutting it)
Get a pitman arm puller.
Put it on the pitman arm and tighten it up.
Put a long pipe on the arm from under the hood, the closer to the steering box the better.
Have a buddy smack on the pipe at the same time you are tightening the pitman arm puller. It will come off pretty easy without heat or cutting.

Unread 03-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #17
wildman90
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jeepguys View Post
how can a ajust the back this was my first time tearing my jeep apart, man it feels good! but god damn does it get frustrating ! almost finished just need that pitman arm and brakes cleaned up
the rear brakes have the adjuster (star) wheel that brings the brake shoes "out" to the proper place. when insalling new brakes, it is the usual procedure to run the adjuster all the way "in". this means that the pistons in the wheel cylinder have to move further to actuate the brakes. to adjust them, you look on the back side of the drum and you will find an elongated hole, usually covered with a rubber plug. remove the plug and and turn the star wheel with a flat screwdriver until you can just feel the brakes dragging. that it---put the rubber plug back and do the other side. you may have to bleed them again.

this info is also in the various manuals on brakes.

the only thing you cannot do, is that which you have already accepted defeat!

many people search for god in the eleventh hour, only to die at 10:30
wildman90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #18
92Islander
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with a prior post. Get a Pitman arm puller. It works 100% I've only need that once on an old 1973 Roadrunner, ahhhh. Many moons ago. They arm is pressed on and it have to be removed with a puller, especially if you plan on reusing it. Good luck!
Unread 03-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #19
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I broke a HF pitman puller... cheap chinese junk IMO. anywho, have you thought about a TRE flip instead of a DPA???

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2010, 01:51 AM   #20
newyj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

whats a tre flip?

[url]http://www.cityprofile.com[/url]

[url]http://www.pgh-offroad.com[/url]
newyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2010, 07:27 AM   #21
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

It puts the tie rod ends on the top of the steering arms instead of the bottom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.