How hard is it to replace windshield hinges? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How hard is it to replace windshield hinges?

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 06-05-2006, 05:40 PM   #1
MayorMcCheese

How hard is it to replace windshield hinges?

In a couple of weeks I am going to replace the cowl seal under the windshield, so it will need to be dropped. While I'm at it I thought I might just go ahead and replace the windshield hinges because it looks like the PO tried to paint them and use some kind of caulk to seal them.

So, like the title says, how hard is it to replace the hinges on the windshield? Quadratec lists it as being an "easy" and able to be completed in under 1 hour.

TIA

1990 YJ 2.5L
Stock everything... for now.
MayorMcCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2006, 05:44 PM   #2
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Appears easy, but if you strip one of the torx screws... you'll be kicking yourself for ever starting the project.

Definitely get a breaker bar and 2 people... one to apply pressure and the other to turn the bolt.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2006, 06:15 PM   #3
gmcz7198ba

OH NO NOT WINDSHIELD HINGES!!

Like posted above its a simple job till you strip a torx then you will be screaming!
Unread 06-05-2006, 06:17 PM   #4
mmasuperman12
1998 XJ Cherokee 

yeah i jsut had to take my windshield off and i am contimplating gettin a new windshield insted of dealing with taking the hinges off (have to fix the rust for the glass company to guarentee it) may not be cheaper but it may be easier
mmasuperman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2006, 07:19 PM   #5
wwiihistory

getting to the nuts on the back of the lower front hinge bolts is fun (drivers side). Remove the 3 dash screws next to speakers and pull out, then stuff something in there to hold dash back so speaker magnet won't grab your wrench so bad.

95 Sahara, 4.0L, 5 spd, Olive/Tan, HT,HD's, 31's,3.07s

Military Jeep club member 1941,1942,1943,1944, and 1945
wwiihistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2006, 08:49 PM   #6
MayorMcCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiihistory
getting to the nuts on the back of the lower front hinge bolts is fun (drivers side). Remove the 3 dash screws next to speakers and pull out, then stuff something in there to hold dash back so speaker magnet won't grab your wrench so bad.
So the first fun part is getting to the nuts behind the dash....

then I just have to worry about not stripping any torx bolts.

Sounds like fun.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the whole trick to torx bolts was just using the correct size bit???

1990 YJ 2.5L
Unread 06-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #7
DustinM

Definatly buy a couple extra torx bolts. You WILL strip at least one out...almost guaranteed! They are relativley easy to find through almost any Jeep vendor. I stripped 2 of the 16 out and had to drill them out. Not bad, but make sure to have extras. Just my 2 cents.
Unread 06-06-2006, 10:57 AM   #8
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

I had to drill out 4....I hate working on that area of the tub. Everything is so tight.
atomicmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #9
Flashfoto
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you think it would be fun to pull your own wisdom teeth, without novacain, then this job will really make you happy!

LOLOL!
Flashfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2006, 01:26 PM   #10
RckyMntnKng

yep, after replacing the Dash speakers i agree (Lowered glass, removed dash)....PITA
RckyMntnKng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2006, 05:21 PM   #11
MayorMcCheese

Well thanks for all the encouragement and enthusiasm guys.

I was looking at the hinges again yesterday and I'm almost sure that I should just go ahead and bite the bullet and replace them.

1990 YJ 2.5L
Unread 06-07-2006, 06:34 PM   #12
JHcujo

Okay well maybe I just got lucky but mine were not bad at all. I had to drill out 2 of them. I had to use a "F" bit for my drill and just retapped the threads. One thing that I will say is PB Blaster is wonderful. Go slow,spray the bolt and work it back and forth.
JHcujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #13
mbedit

Old topic, but it came up when I googled replacing windshield hinges.

Last week I went to replace the factory speakers in my '91 YJ... and while removing the dash, the Driver Side Windshield Hinge was so rusty it actually bent when forced the shield down :-(

So, I figured no biggie I'll replace the hinges, but I figured I should google up some advice to see if their'ed be any gotchas.

Thats how I found this thread and forum!

Anyhow, you guys wen't kidding! Things were going well, and then I stripped the last Torx bolt on the upper windshield of the passenger side.

So I went to drill it out, and after drilling a while I came up with the idea to try and "tap" a wedge into the remaining bolt in hopes I could grip it and drive it back out.

That was a bad Idea.

I ended up knocking the bracket that receives the two bolts in the windshield frame loose :-(

I put that aside and turned to the lower bolts. The ones with nuts. But my YJ still had all the original factory putty on the nuts. It took me about an hour of scraping and messing about just to get the easiest one off on the passenger side and I knew there was no way in heck i'd be able to get up in the driver side and scrape all that off.

Thus I decided that drilling out the remaining 7 and just putting new nuts on it would be quicker and less of a hassle.

So... I drilled the rest out and replaced them all, which at this point went surprisingly smooth!

But I still had to figure out how to fix my passenger side. I removed the entire windshield, and was able to "shake" the bracket down to the wiper access hole.

Removing the bracket revealed I needed to bet the rest of the bolt out of it anyhow, so I fixed that and luckily I didn't damage the threads or anything on it.

Finally I came up with the idea of string some wire through the hinge bolt holes and out the wiper access hole, connected the bracket to the two holes and gingerly worked it back into position using the two wires like a marionette! Amazingly it worked... thought it took two trys, and I was able to string the wire through the new hinge, into the bracket, and screw the new hinge bolts in!.

Anyhow, basically, you guys weren't kidding... it turned into a whole day chore, and I had to drill 8 bolts.
mbedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #14
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Takes about an hour!! Who are they kidding. You have to pull the dash and then hope the bolts come out. I spent 3 hours just curseing jeep about that cr@p.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 05:36 AM   #15
jonny93yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I guess i got lucky. I removed all hinges to be replaced with new after jeeps painted. I didn't remove the dash ( there's no dash speakers to grab my wrench ) and had my wife turn a couple of bolts while i held wrench on nuts behind dash. No stripped heads or broken bolts, did donate a bit of knuckle blood. I'd say less than an hour to remove. Not sure about install time yet.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
jonny93yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.