How hard is it to change out a transmission? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How hard is it to change out a transmission?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 04-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
Guns003
1995 YJ Wrangler 

How hard is it to change out a transmission?

Ok so i have a guy that wants to trade a 1987 YJ for my 1979 F150 but it needs a new tranny. He bought a AX15 and transfer case for it just hasnt installed it. What do i need and how hard is it to do a tranny swap? What should i check to see if everythings all there?

Guns003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
fuzzy89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

if you have the tools its fairly easy just undo the drivelines, 2 floor jacks under transmission and transfer case, unbolt from bellhousing, take clutch off if internal or fork out if external. as for what to look for im not sure on the AX15, i took out my pugeot and np231 first thing and put in a ford Np435 Np208 so someone else will have to chime in there
fuzzy89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
Guns003
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy89
if you have the tools its fairly easy just undo the drivelines, 2 floor jacks under transmission and transfer case, unbolt from bellhousing, take clutch off if internal or fork out if external. as for what to look for im not sure on the AX15, i took out my pugeot and np231 first thing and put in a ford Np435 Np208 so someone else will have to chime in there
Yea my dad has everything tool wise. But a AX15 will just bolt up to 258ci right?
Guns003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
Idaho_Chad

It looks like you'll be able to find everything you need to know here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/y...ite-up-312203/
Idaho_Chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's actually pretty easy. I did it with a buddy with not very many tools. Take your time don't rush and take lots of pictures and it will be a breeze. TRADE UP!!

Sent from my phone because I'm doing something "more important"

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hard/Easy is a subjective question. Look into yourself grasshopper. Do you have the inner vision to fully understand how the drive train is assembled and installed? Do you have a tool box bigger than you can carry? Do you have the balls to take on an adventure that seems daunting? Do you have the time to screw it up completely, since this is your first time, and have the project take weeks rather than the usual same day?

If any answer is no, well, nothing we write here will help.
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
Fenix85182
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho_Chad View Post
It looks like you'll be able to find everything you need to know here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/y...ite-up-312203/
Read this thread thoroughly, as this guy did it right.

I didn't know about the change in input shaft size when I went from an AX-15 mounted to a 4.2 to an AX-15 mounted to a 4.0 when I did my tranny swap years ago.
Fenix85182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure what the seller has acquired regarding the new AX15 and bell housing but there may be some issues. The BA10 you are removing had an internal slave and a 21 spline input shaft to the TC. Depending on the new AX15 you may have to modify the input shaft to the transfer case, change the pilot bearing, and adapt up the clutch slave lines from an internal to external swap. AX15s came with both an internal (earlier ones) and an external (change over in 92 I think) slave. You may also run into access problems reaching the top two bolts on the bell housing, and they may be torx bolts as well making their removal difficult. Other than that just dropping one tranny and putting another in its place isn't too hard. Read the swap thread on the FAQ page as it covers everything. Length between the two assemblies is the same, so drive shafts and the like will all fit without modification. My only other real advice is do not support your engine with just a floor jack. Use jack stands to keep the rear of the engine from rotating while you pull out the transmission or you may find you are replacing engine mounts, front clip and radiator if you let the engine rotate.
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.