Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

how hard??

920 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  BigD1634 
#1 ·
I am just an average joe shmo who know verry little about jeeps. My question is, how hard would it be to put a lift kit on myself. I was thinking about getting either a body lift or suspension lift kit and maybe doing it myself to save a little green. Is it worth it?? IS one easier or better than another?? THanks

#4 ·
It's not very difficult. The pain in the *** thing is the time it takes. Lifting the jeep removing, installing. Not knowing what you're doing isnt gonna make it easier. ProComp has a special now that if you buy a lift from one of their retailers that shop will install it for free. That's how I did my last one. Look on the Explorer Pro Comp web site for details and retailers. -T
/____\
{OlllllO}
[]--<>-[]

#6 ·
Tools required:

• WD40 sprayed on every bolt and piece of your suspension everyday for a couple weeks to work through the rust
  • BreakerBar
  • Sockets
  • Hydrolic Jack (1ton)
  • JackStands / Axle Stands (3ton - 36" max tall is good)
  • Torch (for burning anything that doesn't wanna come off easily)
  • Steel cutter/grinder (to make room for the shifters movement in cab)
  • Misc. tools

When I did my 4" lift, that was what I needed to make it work .. I did it at my buddies full shop, and it took about 7 hours to complete .. including putting the new rubbers on the rims.

It can take a bit of time, have a friend available to help .. strong arms make for light work :D

#7 ·
Not having the time, the tools, or the assistance, I opted to have the dealer where I bought the jeep install the kit (spring lift with new shocks) It took 1 day, and I think I paid them about $600. At least they will be held accountable if anything goes wrong. also they had to call the distributor with a couple questions to make sure it all worked ok. HTH
happy trails,
Marshall

#8 ·
To answer your question about which is better...it all depends on what you want. If tire clearance is your only concern, then a body lift is fine. Ugly as sin, but it will work. For a better riding and flexing jeep, plus tire clearance, then suspension is the way to go. It is not all that difficult but remember the first rule of jeep modification. "Plan on spending twice the money and taking twice the time." There will be items like shocks, brake lines, adjustable track bars, sway bar disconnects, gears(depending on tire size). Good Luck with your decision. Hamy.

#9 ·
WE JUST PUT A 3" ROUGH COUNTRY LIFT ON A 95 YJ. IT TOOK US ABOUT 16 HOURS (9AM-9PM,2PM-6PM). FOR THE MOST PART IT WAS PRETTY MUCH REMOVE ONE PART AND PUT IN THE NEW ONE.THE ONLY PROBLEMS WERE BOTH PASSENGER SIDE SPRING EYE BOLTS HAD TO BE CUT OUT AND THE BRAKE LINE ENTENSIONS WERE TO SHORT. JUST GET SOME FRIENDS TOGETHER AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. GOOD LUCK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.