How to get the side glass out of a hardtop? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to get the side glass out of a hardtop?

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

How to get the side glass out of a hardtop?

I want to swap the glass from this beater top I cut up for the half top into mine full hardtop. How much of a PITA is it, and, how is the easiest way to do it, thanks!

Jerry

Unread 05-25-2009, 05:23 AM   #2
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The factory side glass is installed using a polysulfide butyl sealant, basically glued in place. The exterior weatherstrip is "T" shaped and can be removed by carefully prying it out with a putty knife or similar tool. Glaziers have a glass removal tool with a blade shaped like an "L" that slides behind the glass from the outside and is then pulled around the glass, cutting the sealant free. You can also cut the glass free from the inside using SLIGHT pressure as you cut along the sealant with a regular razor knife. Single edge razor blade will then clean up any remaining sealant on the glass, spray and wipe, ready to reinstall.....

Friends don't let friends roll over without a negative-G strap

Feetwet's Ford 8.8 Axle Teardown/Rebuild/Install

AX5 Output Shaft Seal Replacement

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Feetwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
Randy77358
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If it is an older top the glass is in the same way it is in the older rear windows of a truck. The rubber gasket holds it in place.

From the inside, take a thin hard plastic putty knife, pry thr gasket from the outside egde while putting slight pressure pushing the glass to the outside, work your way around until it pops out,

to reinatall the glass, get a small diameter rope or thick string, put vasoline on the rope and gasket, then put the gasket on the glass,put the rope/string in the groove that will go aroung the actual opening, set one edge in the opening of the top,,, and slowly pull the rope as someone holds the glass in place. As ya pull the rope, it brings the gasket edge into the opening.
Randy77358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It's the style that Feetwet was talking about, with the rubber trim piece and the sealant/glue between the glass and the top. The sealant is so hard, I had to fight to get a box cutter blade in between the top and the glass. I was just wondering if there was an easier way. I'll try to get that tool that Feetwet mentioned, and try that. Thanks, guys!

Jerry
Unread 05-25-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

is the glass scrathced or something ? why the swap ?
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93jeepyj View Post
is the glass scrathced or something ? why the swap ?
The glass on the top I found has the factory tinted glass, and the glass in my top isn't tinted at all. Thought, since I'm parting out the top, might as well get the tinted glass for myself, and sell the rest,

Jerry
Unread 05-25-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've seen some glass guys use a wire to cut the glue. Takes 2 people 1 in 1 out.
Unread 05-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just got back. here's a link to the knife. It's called a windshield removal tool. About 18 bucks. Harbor Freight probably has em too.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...atchallpartial

Friends don't let friends roll over without a negative-G strap

Feetwet's Ford 8.8 Axle Teardown/Rebuild/Install

AX5 Output Shaft Seal Replacement

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Feetwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
CheapSunglasses
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feetwet View Post
Just got back. here's a link to the knife. It's called a windshield removal tool. About 18 bucks. Harbor Freight probably has em too.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...atchallpartial
I have the exact same tool....My suggestion would be to take the donor top glass out first....One wrong move and the glass will crack very easily....if you can get the donor glass out without cracking it, you won't have to worry so much if yours breaks.
Unread 05-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #10
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, guys! I agree, Ill try my hand at the found top, if that doesn't go well, I'll still have my full top intact,

Jerry

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.