How to get ice off softtop windows? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to get ice off softtop windows?

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 11-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
jeepoffroad18
1999 TJ Wrangler 

How to get ice off softtop windows?

I live in Ohio and i take my jeep to school in the morning. lately i have had a prob with ice (alot today)being on the soft top windows. how can i get it off quickly without scratching the windows? bc i dont hav time to sit and let the car warm up for an hour. and i end up having to unzip my windows to see when turning. which is gonna be a even bigger pain when its 15 degrees outside and im tired and not wanting to go to school anyways hhaha. and tips or ticks would be great thx

jeepoffroad18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
Plato2k5
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Just hit the window with your palm on the inside. Will get some of the ice to crack..... than I just use a credit card to scrape. No matter what you do they will get scratched... but they get beat up when I take the jeep through trails so it does not bother me.
Plato2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
yjmoose
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Be very careful with the idea above, I did this last year and now have a nice crack that runs the entire length of the window. I just let the jeep warm up now when it is parked outside.
yjmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
jeepmike20
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i was always told to pout warm water over the windows
jeepmike20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm going to be in a similar position - first winter with a Jeep, no hard top, and I'm up in Kent.

As I understand it, you don't even want to TOUCH the windows when they are below freezing. Apparently, they get quite brittle.

I'm planning on making cheap covers for my windows out of a tarp or a drop cloth or something. Open the door, drape the tarp over the door, close the door, and it should stay in place. I don't know how well it will work, but give me a few weeks and I'll get back to you.

Of course, you could run with the doors off - no visibility problems with that approach.

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #6
Plato2k5
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I guess it does not get that freezing cold here in MI? I never had an issue... or perhaps I'm just lucky lol. I also try and drive the jeep only when needed
Plato2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
jeepoffroad18
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
I'm going to be in a similar position - first winter with a Jeep, no hard top, and I'm up in Kent.

As I understand it, you don't even want to TOUCH the windows when they are below freezing. Apparently, they get quite brittle.

I'm planning on making cheap covers for my windows out of a tarp or a drop cloth or something. Open the door, drape the tarp over the door, close the door, and it should stay in place. I don't know how well it will work, but give me a few weeks and I'll get back to you.

Of course, you could run with the doors off - no visibility problems with that approach.
nice idea! tell me how it works
jeepoffroad18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepoffroad18 View Post
nice idea! tell me how it works
I was hoping you'd tell me.

You'll likely see ice problems sooner than me - I work out of my home, doing mostly paperwork in the mornings. I don't get out of the house until 11AM-1PM

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Unread 11-06-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

A cheap vehicle cover that will cover the cab overnight should stop that from happening if u can't afford a cover then a tarp l anthing to keep the top from being exposed to direct contact from the moist air outside should keep that from happening. I had to do this in west Texas... It works the same as why orchard growers in Florida put tarps over the orange trees before a freeze, they won't get ice buildup on the leaves because they don't get directly exposed to the moist air which condenses when the sun goes down, therm freezes.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 10:15 PM   #10
azgurney
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Move to Arizona. 88 degrees today.
Unread 11-06-2009, 10:16 PM   #11
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

They do make a 12vdc heater / defroster that will do the job for you.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #12
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato2k5 View Post
I guess it does not get that freezing cold here in MI?
The manual says the magic number is 42*.
It's colder than that in Richmond right now.........
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 10:39 PM   #13
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

A few years back, I had an oil-filled electric space heater on a timer in the back of my van. An hour before I had to leave, it would kick on automatically, pre-heating my cab and defrosting my windows. A cheap space heater gets too hot - something will melt or catch fire. An oil-filled heater doesn't get above 150-200F.

Of course, an oil-filled heater is too big for a TJ, and my daily routine isn't time sensitive anymore.

Unread 11-06-2009, 10:52 PM   #14
plowboy87
2005 TJ Wrangler 

a ice scraper, i'm sure walmart sells them down there. just keep the blade flat and light pressure.

last year i didn't bother putting the hard top on, the only problem was a small crack in the back window when the temp dipped below -35*C for a couple days. so as long as it doesn't get that cold you should be fine
plowboy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2009, 12:31 AM   #15
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Get up a little earlier in the morning and let it warm up .

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.