How to - Fuel tank removal - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to - Fuel tank removal

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings Blast

Unread 09-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #46
Nelliebelle7
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward View Post
Yeah, I forget who said it, but the supply line definitely is 3/8 on the tank side and 5/16 on the hard line side. Trying to use 5/16 to fit on both ends did *not* work, even with a heat gun, lithium grease, and excessive amounts of effort and trying to make an adaptor.

Eventually just ended up using 3/8 for the line and using a lot of overlap and multiple hose clamps on the hard line (the slotted kind, not the FI type that catch on themselves) and that stopped any leaks.

In terms of the rubber block, we had issues with that as well. For the vent line, I just left it and replaced the hose going to the T. The other lines just took a lot of white lithium grease and consistent pressure to get it through. When we removed the 5/16 line and replaced it with the 3/8, though, I just avoided the rubber squeezing all together and just ran it through the hole in the crossmember right next to it.

....man, this whole job was a PITA, though.
For all of you who have trouble with the hoses going through the rubber block... You can pull the block out with the hoses. It's open on one end and you fold it open. You can then place it on the lines where it should be and wrap it with tape. (factory did this) Then you feed the lines and the block back into place.

Nelliebelle7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #47
dukeryder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
:
Ok so I'm replying here for future reference for anyone who did a search like I did and came up with 1/4" tubing for the fuel lines.

On the 1995 (late 96 build date), YJ has 5/16 and 7/16" fuel line (well mine does anyway). Just one of those stupid YJ things where different years can have completely different parts.
dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #48
napaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeryder View Post
Ok so I'm replying here for future reference for anyone who did a search like I did and came up with 1/4" tubing for the fuel lines.

On the 1995 (late 96 build date), YJ has 5/16 and 7/16" fuel line (well mine does anyway). Just one of those stupid YJ things where different years can have completely different parts.
7/16" fuel line? I have never heard of such a thing?
napaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 05:01 AM   #49
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Mine is a 95 and mine were 5/16 and 3/8 as stated.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #50
Nelliebelle7
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, me too. 5/16 and 3/8. Something else that may help a little, I eliminated that short hard line that goes to the "special" hose before the fuel filter. Ran the hose right from the tank to the filter.
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #51
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelliebelle7 View Post
Yeah, me too. 5/16 and 3/8. Something else that may help a little, I eliminated that short hard line that goes to the "special" hose before the fuel filter. Ran the hose right from the tank to the filter.
This seems like a good idea to me, I like it.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #52
dukeryder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelliebelle7 View Post
I should have done this! I ended up buying the special Mopar 90* line, this option would've been much cheaper and easier too.

Mine most definitely had 7/16" line (I used 3/8 as the replacement). The crazy thing is that the return line hardline is of larger diameter than the main line, which is opposite of what's coming from the fuel pump (3/8" supply, 5/16 return). My guess is that someone once upon a time replaced the fuel pump and used the 7/16" line.

I swear this fuel tank R&R was the biggest pain in the @$$ job I've done to date on the YJ. That includes tearing the transfer case apart TWICE! (once to replace shift fork pads, once for SYE install).
dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #53
Nelliebelle7
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I should have done this! I ended up buying the special Mopar 90* line, this option would've been much cheaper and easier too.

Mine most definitely had 7/16" line (I used 3/8 as the replacement). The crazy thing is that the return line hardline is of larger diameter than the main line, which is opposite of what's coming from the fuel pump (3/8" supply, 5/16 return). My guess is that someone once upon a time replaced the fuel pump and used the 7/16" line.

I swear this fuel tank R&R was the biggest pain in the @$$ job I've done to date on the YJ. That includes tearing the transfer case apart TWICE! (once to replace shift fork pads, once for SYE install).
The good thing is that you won't have to do it again for a long time. Fingers crossed!
Unread 08-18-2014, 02:11 AM   #54
fantomas
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for this write up! Just replaced the skid plate over the last week. A few helpful pointers I have for everyone: The fuel line is cheap enough that if you're going to drop the tank for any reason, buy 3' each of 5/16, 3/8 and 1/4" and proper fuel line clamps. Someone else said 2' was enough, but it is NOT (well it is, but the factory hoses were nearly 3'). We used 2' of each on the advice here and it was a tight fit getting everything connected because the tank had to be raised quite a bit.

We dropped the tank to replace the skid plate on Wednesday. Swapped the plate out within 3 hours with no real issues. Finally yesterday I went to drive it for the first time and the fuel hose must have dry rotted to the point that it leaked because we messed around with it. So we had to drop the tank again and replaced all three hoses. I have a late model '95 and got away with using 5/16" for the supply and return. The 3/8" would not fit in the block when we tried to get it back through the cross member. The gas tank connection is definitely 3/8" but we had no problem getting the 5/16" hose on.

Make sure the supply line is rated for fuel injection systems. The vent doesn't need to be, and I don't believe the return is under any sort of pressure either.
fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 10:45 PM   #55
TomYJ

1993 YJ Wrangler 

When I dropped my tank to change the pump, I took the tank to a local radiator shop to have it cleaned out - nothing like ruining a new pump with debris. I also changed the fuel filter and all the rubber hoses on top of the tank...found a vacuum line that was completely smashed from previous time the tank was installed.
TomYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.