How to - Fuel tank removal - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to - Fuel tank removal

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*WJ Tube Doors Now Available!

Unread 10-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #16
bword

Thank you for this..I have a leak somewhere near my tank this will help when I try to take mine down.

Unread 10-21-2010, 03:42 AM   #17
RookieJeeper01
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Great write up. I did the same thing recently, new warrior skid plate. I found it the cheapest at JC Whitney.
RookieJeeper01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 06:19 AM   #18
hdsport
2008 WK 

Don't mess with leaking gas....any electrical connection spark can toast your jeep.
I just did mine.....all new hoses, fuel line attachment (one with the clips on it) and fuel pump,filter assy, lock ring and gasket.
No more gas dripping and no more fumes.
Well worth the peace of mind and I don't have to breath gas fumes any more.
hdsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 07:36 AM   #19
bword

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdsport View Post
Don't mess with leaking gas....any electrical connection spark can toast your jeep.
I just did mine.....all new hoses, fuel line attachment (one with the clips on it) and fuel pump,filter assy, lock ring and gasket.
No more gas dripping and no more fumes.
Well worth the peace of mind and I don't have to breath gas fumes any more.
you remember what size fuel line? rubber or metal??
Unread 10-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #20
hdsport
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bword View Post
The fuel line that I replaced was the rubber line, about 10 inches long, with a plastic connector at each end. One end snaps onto the fuel filter assy on the module package in the tank, the other end snaps onto a connector on the fuel line to the front. I believe that one problem that I had was that I did not FULLY snap one end of this connector COMPLETELY onto the mating fuel line, possibly resulting in a slow leak under the pressure of the fuel pump.
So, problem solved and I don't have to take the tank down again.
Hope this was a help to you.
Unread 10-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #21
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Max, is that Warrior Product skid strong enough to hold up in the rocks? Friends have told me I need a gas tank skid before trying the Rubicon or Moab.

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 07:22 AM   #22
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile_Homie View Post
Max, is that Warrior Product skid strong enough to hold up in the rocks? Friends have told me I need a gas tank skid before trying the Rubicon or Moab.
It's pretty near twice the thickness as the stock one, so it will easily outperform the OE skid, but there are heavier duty skids available I believe.

Are your friends currently using heavier duty skids?

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #23
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Are your friends currently using heavier duty skids?

Max

I will have to check, but the way I understand it you need to be able to scrape along the rocks on those trails.

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #24
Aahzmandius
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasYJ View Post
BTW... Do you have any ideas on how to Patch/Seal the tank without having to buy a new one? I've got two lateral cracks in mine (hence the reason for dropping it) on the bottom rear left corner about an inch or two in length a piece.
Try this:
http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...Repair_Kit.htm

Haven't tried the plastic one, the steel tank kit one works well.
Aahzmandius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 06:54 AM   #25
WSNJeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Great Post! I just did this last weekend, but am running into a bit of a head scratcher. Those two white outlets on either side on the top of the tank that are attached to hoses which come to a "T"....what are those outlets called? I need to replace them and whatever grommets are needed but cant locate them anywhere (partially because I cant accurately describe them!) My previous owner decided just to use gasket sealant or some kind of goo to attach these...not good

Any Ideas? Thanks in advance!! :-)
WSNJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 09:44 PM   #26
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSNJeep View Post
Great Post! I just did this last weekend, but am running into a bit of a head scratcher. Those two white outlets on either side on the top of the tank that are attached to hoses which come to a "T"....what are those outlets called? I need to replace them and whatever grommets are needed but cant locate them anywhere (partially because I cant accurately describe them!) My previous owner decided just to use gasket sealant or some kind of goo to attach these...not good

Any Ideas? Thanks in advance!! :-)
Scroll to the bottom of this page for the MTS Company's YJ tank parts and you'll find the grommets you need. They're $5.95 each if I remember correctly. Ask for Mike, he handled my order a week or two ago & was very helpful!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 05:57 AM   #27
WSNJeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Max....I lucked out last night and was able to find what I needed. The parts I was looking for are the rollover valves!! I was able to pick up new ones on Ebay. Hopefully that will take care of them!

Thanks again!!
WSNJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #28
MattyMcF90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Guys, great thread!

I have been battling a fuel issue with my 1990 YJ for awhile now. The two guys that stopped today when I was stranded in the grocery store parking lot may discovered I was looking at the wrong thing..

My question is: Is there a fuel pump/screen/rollover valve/sending unit(not sure what this is), or anything that would block or allow air into my fuel delivery to my mechanical fuel pump on the engine? I have a fuel issue (that until today I thought was just at my carb), that keeps making my YJ die when it is warm.. but runs when it is cold.

For anyone interested.. you can see the thread by seraching
"Weber Carburetor - Runs when hot or old... but no fuel when warm."
MattyMcF90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #29
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There is a screen in the fuel tank at the pickup. You should check your pressure before you go to drop the tank though. The rollover vavle doesnt stop fuel flow, but if tyou look at the rear body mounts some people have had the fuel line pinched in the rear from the the body mounts going bad and not giving enough clearance on the fuel line. Is this write up added to the list? Great refrence.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #30
hdsport
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bword View Post
Don't really know the size. This is a factory item, not like the old days when you bought fuel line by the size and length. This is made with special connectors at each end, etc.
Hope this is a help..................

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.