Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

how to fix tracking problems

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  ldso 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I'm tracking really bad to the right. My rear end is kicked so far out to the right that you can see my front driver tire when going down the road, and I have to turn the wheel about a quarter turn to the right. How can I fix this? Thanks for any help.
Or should I just take it to an alignment shop?

#5 ·
If your rear end is out an alignment is not going to help since there are no alignment adjustments for your rear. If it is not square then you have something bent or broken. It might be as simple as bad spring or shackle bushings or as bad as a rusted through frame that is already giving way. Take it to a good shop and get it up in the air.

#6 ·
First center your steering so it is straight ahead, measure the distance from your back rim to your front rim on both sides. If these measurements are the same, you might only need an alignment. If not, take measurement from the last bolt on your skid plate to the center of your rear axle u-bolt plate. If both readings are the same for both sides check to the front axle. If the reading is different check the spring pack bolt, it might have rusted or is broken and this will let your axle slip on the leaf springs.
Good luck,

#7 ·
Helpful suggestions. There is no rust though. Maybe some loose boots or I may have bent something. I'll take it over to the auto skills center when I get a chance, and get it up on a lift to check everything and get those measurements.

#8 ·
Ah hah! I figured it out. Both centering pins on the rear were snapped in half, and only being held in because the leafs were all jacked up and crooked. So went down to the local off road shop and picked up a set and 5 hours later I had it sitting back on the ground driving somewhat straight with new brakes ( and shackles bolts). Only problem is, that they gave me the wrong size pins, so I have to to back tomoro and get bigger ones and do it all over. Should be easier since all the bolts will still be freshly tightened. Now if I break these BDS will replace them. Buy I still wonder what is causing this since this is the second time I've had to replace them. Also took out the degree shims in the rear, taking off is so much smoother now. Now more bouncing and vibrating. Maybe that's what was causing them to break?

#9 ·
When my U-bolts were new I had to tighten them sometimes, I would get slop and vibration back there. Had to tighten them in the Friendly's parking lot on the way back from Indy :) That could definitely break things.

I know some folks have to tighten them every wheeling trip. I cut mine short so I could the impact on them, and they are staying tight now.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.