How to fix my steering after stretching my front axle forward, SUA leafs - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to fix my steering after stretching my front axle forward, SUA leafs

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #31
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKjeeps View Post
I'm betting that if you start your jeep, get out and watching your tie rod and steering box while you wiggle your steering box back and forth that your frame moves before your wheels do. It will seem that your shackles or leafs are pivoting. I'm having to put a track bar on my buddies YJ to fix the same issue.
His box was shot...

Putting a track bar on a leaf sprung axle is like turning on the air conditioner when your couch is on fire. Yeah, it's getting hot, but maybe you should put out the fire.
You're trying to fix a symptom rather than addressing the actual problem. If your buddies "frame moves" or "shackles or leafs are pivoting", it either needs frame damage addressed or needs new bushings. It doesn't need a track bar.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #32
SadDayPanda

1987 J-Series Truck 

I had to reread the thread before I found where he figured out his box was shot. Must have over read the first time.

As for the track bar, I simply disagree. Bushings are find, new ball joints, new tre, his leaf springs and shackles twist enough combined that he he has a 1/4 turn of slop before the tires turn. A track bar will fix this and wont hurt anything since he plans on a coil over swap in the next year. I've seen multiple times where a track bar helped a soft suspension with steering.

I noticed your in Neosho, I was just down at crowder a few weeks ago, its good to see other missouri people on here.
SadDayPanda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #33
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I had to reread the thread before I found where he figured out his box was shot. Must have over read the first time.

As for the track bar, I simply disagree. Bushings are find, new ball joints, new tre, his leaf springs and shackles twist enough combined that he he has a 1/4 turn of slop before the tires turn. A track bar will fix this and wont hurt anything since he plans on a coil over swap in the next year. I've seen multiple times where a track bar helped a soft suspension with steering.

I noticed your in Neosho, I was just down at crowder a few weeks ago, its good to see other missouri people on here.
Yep. It's always good to see locals (even if not terribly local) on the forum. I was in Columbia a couple of weeks ago visiting family. We took the kids through the capital and saw the sites on the way up there (we hadn't been up that way in a couple of years). Thomas Hart Benton (the guy who painted all the murals in the Capital) grew up in Neosho. One of our neighbors owns the current "Benton House" in Neosho that was built on the property of the home that he grew up in (the original home burned down). Parts of the orignal foundation and the original front steps are in my back yard (it's been blended into the landscaping and retaining walls).

As far as the track bar goes, I could definitely see it being a bit "wiggly" if he's using rubber bushings. Poly bushings would probably take care of it, but if he's going to coil overs, I can definitely see your point. Throwing on a track bar will accomplish the same thing in the short term, is cheaper, and easier.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Unread 08-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #34
SadDayPanda

1987 J-Series Truck 

We are heading down to smorr the last weekend in August if u wanna join in. Right now my jeep is out so ill be riding a 4 wheeler, even with his winch, another jeep would be nice
SadDayPanda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #35
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
We are heading down to smorr the last weekend in August if u wanna join in. Right now my jeep is out so ill be riding a 4 wheeler, even with his winch, another jeep would be nice
That sounds like fun. I've never wheeled at SMORR. I have a tentative trip planned to "Wheelin World" (Eureka Springs, AR) with my brother, youngest son, and nephews (My YJ, a TJ, and my brother's Early Bronco) depending on how the weather goes (I still have to paint my doors, top, and tailgate before they go back on). If it falls through, I may take you up on it.

Neither my wife or soon to be sister-in-law like trails that are any kind of challenge (my wife is afraid of heights and is uncomfortable on anything over a beginner trail). Wheelin World has worked well for us. The girls spend the day in Eureka Springs going to the shops and we all meet up for lunch, go wheeling some more, and then dinner before we head back home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.