How does this frame repair look? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How does this frame repair look?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
jeepxj2007

How does this frame repair look?

Well I worry too much about stupid stuff, but I am building a YJ from the ground up, I bought a frame that was at least 90 percent rust free..actually the entire frame had the factor paint on and no rust except for these two spots, the stupid rear shock mounts.

They held the crap inside the pockets and that is where it rusted...It wasn't bad when I got it, the paint was popped up so i poked around with a screwdriver, nothing soft, I decided to cut the mounts off and clean it good because I was repainting the faded frame paint anyhow, I did, wire wheeled it, and found 2 small holes about the size of a the diameter of a pencil on the inside top corner passenger side frame rail, other side had no holes, I wire wheeled all the rust away, and welded these pieces of angle over it, and then the shock mounts to it, I will probably go over it again with my buddies 220 welder because I did it with my 110 flux core, but the welds looked decent and I got good penetration, there is absolutely no rust anywhere now and no surface rust, does it look plenty strong and would you trust it?

(all of the bubbles and bumps are from the undercoating after repainting it.)

jeepxj2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
mazyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good and strong to me
Unread 08-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
yjmudder90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

looks good. thanks for the idea btw

"The right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."
yjmudder90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.