How do you remove the parking brake pedal assembly? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How do you remove the parking brake pedal assembly?

Introducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comBlack Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHut

Unread 07-01-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
veritas4156
1991 MJ Comanche 

How do you remove the parking brake pedal assembly?

Hey guys, my parking brake lever assembly is shot, the ratcheting mechanism is dead, so I'm going to rig something up out of a toyota pickup because it looks simple enough to install. I know there is the one bolt at the front of the pedal assembly but where else is it being held on? Feels like its riveted towards the back but my computer is right on the back of that so I dont want to drill it out. Any ideas or is it not really riveted?

veritas4156 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
Jim93YJ

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hey, see if your jeep has the recall on the parking brake mechanism. If it does then the dealership will replace the whole assembly for free. Type in your VIN and www.jeep.com and it will let you know if there is a recall for your jeep.
93YJ 4.8L Vortec,AX15,Atlas 4.3:1, 4.56 Gears, Dana 30 w/ Posi-lok,Dana 44 Rear w/ Ox Locker + 99 Explorer Disk Brakes,Tom Woods D. Shafts,1" Body, 2.5" ED RE Lift, 33" BFG KM2 T/A's with MT Classic II Wheels, Herculined Inside, Electric Fan, 20 Gal Tank Conversion,Tuffy Center Console,Warn Front Bumper, Rockhard 4X4 Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier,Bushwacker Extended Flat Fender Flares,AMSoil/Redline In Everything and the List Goes On....

AND...

88YJ 4.2L: Interior and mechanical overhaul including engine replacement, nutter bypass, Weber 34 Carb, and work on a whole bunch of other things to get it back to fine running condition without the emissions control...evap cannister kept functional as well as PCV system, and manifold heater.
Jim93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
MooJr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim93YJ View Post
Hey, see if your jeep has the recall on the parking brake mechanism. If it does then the dealership will replace the whole assembly for free. Type in your VIN and www.jeep.com and it will let you know if there is a recall for your jeep.

Just did this to my 94, only cost me a couple hours on a saturday at the dealership.
Unread 07-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just call the dealership and give them your V.I.N. to see if it needs or has had the recall. Unfortunately, the jeep.com site does not go further back than a 1992 model.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
Exparrot
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If your 88 is like my 93, there's one bolt underneath the dash holding the assembly up (you got that one) and two bolts going through the firewall. Open the hood and you'll see them near the clutch master cylinder and the ECU.
LO Jeep Club #111 [and not proud of it]
Red Jeep Club #MC399
Exparrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2008, 02:54 PM   #6
geekboy31
1994 YJ Wrangler 

just did mine a few weeks ago......just bought the jeep looked up the vin had the recall work done...only a few hours
geekboy31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
Lee3333
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My parking brake ratchet was shot when I bought my jeep a couple of months ago. I picked up a new one from someone on the forum and just finished putting it in a few minutes ago. It is just 3 bolts like Exparrot said, and a wire plug for the idiot light. But, remember you have to loosen the cable to get it out. There are 2 1/2 inch nuts on the threaded cable cover on the drivers side in front of the back tire. It goes into a distribution plate. You have to remove the end nut, then loosen the other one all the way to allow enough slack to get the cable out of the parking brake ratchet assembly. When reinstalling, I tightened the nut until the car doesnt move with the parking brake engaged and the car is in gear. I was afraid of making it too tight and having the brake pads rubbing.

I did call about the recall but mine was apparntly already fixed (then broke again).
Lee3333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2008, 08:09 PM   #8
azgurney
1991 YJ Wrangler 

This does not apply to your 88, but if you have a 91 up 4.0 there is a ground wire attached to one of the mounting bolts. It is the ground for the fuel pump and fuel gage. If you forget it the fuel gage will stay pegged out full and the fuel pump will not run.
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #9
cvisinho
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That confirms my assumption of that ground meaning something when the truck wouldnt start without the ground cable connected
cvisinho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.