How do you know your fuel pump is going bad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How do you know your fuel pump is going bad?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
cmedeiros17
1992 YJ Wrangler 

How do you know your fuel pump is going bad?

How do I know if my fuel pump is bad? My Jeep was in the shop right after I purchased it getting the Ujoints and a few other things replaced. I mentioned to the mechanic about a funny noise that I hear constantly when the jeep is running. It sounds like a weird humming noise coming from the back of the jeep. He thinks it could be the fuel pump. He didn't really check it out, I only mentioned it to him when he dropped it off to me. And since I just dropped a ton of money on it at the time getting it fixed up I didnt want him to take the fuel tank out just to look at the pump.

I am now having my frame repaired and they have to drop the tank anyway.........so I'm toying with the idea of just replacing the damn thing. The place doing the work on the frame said they'd do it at no cost- just give them the pump and they'd install it for me. I guess it makes since to do since its only around $100 for the pump.

Ideas?

cmedeiros17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That sounds like cheap insurance. When some pumps go out, they will give you some noises to help determine if they are on their last leg, and others will just stop working. Spend the money, you won't be sorry!
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
azguy54
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Replaced three in a company Tahoe I had. All made a hum or buzzing sound before going. Yeah, I agree with havasujeeper.......go for it!
azguy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 04:34 AM   #4
cmedeiros17
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I picked one up from my local Jeep parts store. For only $100 it does make sense to replace anyway, though it sounds like it must be on its way out.
cmedeiros17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Because I'm sure your fuel lines are 17 years old and probably original, I would also pay a few bucks and have them install new fuel lines.
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.