How do you fix a oversized hole in sheetmetal ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How do you fix a oversized hole in sheetmetal ?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREERough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
JohnW63

How do you fix a oversized hole in sheetmetal ?

After years of putting up with a loose soft top attachment groove on top of the windshield, I finally bought the rivet kit that replaces the stripped out holes with stainless rivets and machine screws. All went well but one hole. The last hole on one side, where they mention you need to enlarge a hidden hole below the top hole you just drilled out got slightly ovaled, as I had to angle the bit to open up the inner hole. The two did not line up well, like they did in the driver's side. Now , this one hole is too big for the rivet to hold in.

What are my options ?

If I knew how to weld, I guess I could fill in a bit of the hole and file it out to a proper fit, but I haven't ever welded sheet metal and I have no tools for that. I might be able to take it somewhere to have it done.

What about gluing it in place with something like JB Weld ?

Has anyone run into this issue ?

JohnW63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
debord97
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If it was mine I would just weld it. I'm sure jb weld would hold it just fine though. I've used jb weld to put all kinds if stuff back together before including a mirror bracket on a 99 firebird.
debord97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would cut a piece of tin long enough to cover the hole, glue it in place, put the channel over it then then put a screw or rivet on either side of the damaged hole.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2014, 06:48 PM   #4
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

They make different size rivets. If you're using the smaller ones, then you could size up possibly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

there are these things called u-nuts.. they work awesome for that issue.

http://www.itwcip.com/products/u-nuts/

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #6
JohnW63

I like the U-nut idea, but there is no edge to slide it on. The hole is on the top corner of the windshield frame.

I suppose the metal over the hole would work. Since the fancy repair kit threaded rivets stick up above the level of the metal, I could use a strip of something the same thickness and attach it over the hole and then use a normal sheet metal screw to hold that one corner down.

If I could weld it and reshape the hole so the spare rivet would fit, I would take that option.

The JB weld option might be a "can't hurt to try " method. I'd have to figure out how to hold it in the hole at the right angle, until it dries. Will that stuff stand up to the tension the top will put on that corner of the channel ?
Unread 03-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #7
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

How about a riv-nut and a machine screw?
Unread 03-08-2014, 10:30 PM   #8
JohnW63

A rvinut is exactly what the kit came with. If I could find a bigger one, that has the same thread it would work. Not sure where to get them. I've only ever seen them in the repair kit at the Jeep parts web sites.
Unread 03-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #9
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
A rvinut is exactly what the kit came with. If I could find a bigger one, that has the same thread it would work. Not sure where to get them. I've only ever seen them in the repair kit at the Jeep parts web sites.
\They come in many sizes. The larger ones take bigger screws, but it is simple to mod it to any size screw you want
Unread 03-08-2014, 11:07 PM   #10
JohnW63

I think the hole for the ones in the kit is 1/2". I've started looking for some.
Unread 03-08-2014, 11:07 PM   #11
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

There are small washers (backers) that can be used with rivets. Can one be worked into the hole and glued in temporarily then riveted after it sets?
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.